Ashley or Gracie? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley or Gracie?

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey rd! good to see you posting!

Thanks...yes, I've been on the DL- things have gotten quite busy in "real life", plus I have been increasingly turning more to Twitter (and FSU) for my skating news, which I suppose has had the "side effect" of coming here less.

You probably won't see me posting as frequently nowadays, but I'll try to add in my thoughts to any interesting discussions whenever I can.

And regarding the thread topic, you know what I always say...WAIT AND SEE. Even seeing each at just one measly competition is better than pure speculation. I do have a personal preference between the two of them, but that's mainly due to the TIME she has had to develop her skating at the top level. Give Gold some time before rushing her to the Big Leagues.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thanks...yes, I've been on the DL- things have gotten quite busy in "real life", plus I have been increasingly turning more to Twitter (and FSU) for my skating news, which I suppose has had the "side effect" of coming here less.

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! We miss you stay with us! (ok well I miss you, I shouldn't speak for everyone! :laugh: ) I do follow you on twitter, when I get on there though...

samson

Medalist
Hey all!

I'm still very new to the board and I'm sure most of you haven't seen me post yet so hi. :)

What an interesting question. I was just talking about the US ladies with my mom this afternoon. Honestly I feel there's a handful of US ladies that, when healthy, on their best night could be world champion. Honestly I do. Mirai, Ashley and Alissa in particular have shown that when they bring it internationally they could dominate. But also, as history has shown, there is nothing we can assume about how these ladies will fair based on what they did the season before, whether it's a result of injury, mental game, new school, or wacky training situations. The US ladies have LOADS of talent. It might be the most talented field out there. I haven't even mentioned Gracie, Caroline, Christina, Rachael and Agnes yet, and it appears there are some other juniors out there starting to make waves in the JGP.

I was a die hard Michelle fan, and I admit to being partial to Mirai and Alissa if all these ladies were to go clean, but I'm REALLY learning how unpredictable this sport can be, and to just live in the moment with it. I was really sad after the 2012 nationals because how Mirai did, but my Mom really enjoyed because as she put it, "the girl who deserved to win did". Ashley was great at nationals and astounding at 4CC.

Honestly I feel like she's found the right formula for herself. This next season will be a real test for her, but if she goes clean in the grand prix, we'll see her in the final no doubt. I don't know how Gracie will be received at a senior. Honestly my impression last year was that international judges like her a lot, but don't love her yet. Gracie doesn't have the flair, or flexibility of someone like Elizaveta, and I think it will take a while for her to mature. Ashley HAS matured. Her work still comes off as workman like to me at time, but she does have a maturity that only comes with time, and her arm movements were definitely nuanced and sophisticated during her LP (not during the spiral or that so called "signature" moment in the footwork but in other moments the those arms were total swan). So these discussions live in the hypothetical, and perhaps this saturday when we see Ashley's sp we all will feel like we can make a more educated guess but if the question is about these two ladies, I would tentatively put my money on Ashley.

Then again, if we're making a nationals prediction, I'm fully ready to eat these words if I feel so inspired, as the grand prix happens. And I'll also say that I'm hoping to see all the US women, grow, improve and bring their A game this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
samson, Welcome to Golden Skate! I love your long post.

And R.D., don't be a stranger, welcome back!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai, Ashley and Alissa in particular have shown that when they bring it internationally they could dominate. But also, as history has shown, there is nothing we can assume about how these ladies will fair based on what they did the season before, whether it's a result of injury, mental game, new school, or wacky training situations. The US ladies have LOADS of talent. It might be the most talented field out there.

It's frustrating for me as a fan because, like you, I know they can bring it. I find it unacceptable that we cannot find a combination of two women that can place well enough to earn us three spots for Worlds, given how strong our ladies can be. I have liked Ashley a long time but I hope she can be strong again this year because I think judges are not going to hold her up if she's shaky and lands her jumps on two feet. I worry about Mirai after seeing her summer skate because she looked really slow out there. Alissa is a huge wildcard but I don't think she can regain her best form this season after starting her preparation so late. I really think Gracie is solid enough to go to Worlds with Ashley and get our three spots back. Even though she has competed once as a senior, Gracie is unquestionably our #2 lady IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I worry about Mirai after seeing her summer skate because she looked really slow out there.

let's put it this way: do you worry about your football team's playoff chances because they lost the first game of the pre-season? :think:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
let's put it this way: do you worry about your football team's playoff chances because they lost the first game of the pre-season? :think:

Not necessarily, but she has been regressing for some time and there's no indication that is changing. She still has a few months until her programs need to be in tip top shape, but I was hoping to see some improvement already. I do like her music better this year but I don't know how well she is going to connect with it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ashley has the goods to win gold or podium; in fact Alyssa or Mirai do too if they skated without too many errors. It may not be realistic for Alyssa to medal this year coming back from injury though. Miray and Ashley are more mature than Gracie. Gracie is good but I do think she will have to wait her turn; she still isnèt as musical as the other girls.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course Mirai and Ashley are more mature than Gracie! Mirai is 19, Ashley is 21 and Gracie just turned 17. This will be Ashley and Mirai's 6th season as seniors, while it is Gracie's first.

But I don't find Mirai or Ashley overly musical. Mirai, especially: in the last two seasons, she hasn't seemed to relate to her music at all, and the same seems to be the case in videos of this summer's comps.

This season will be a learning/growth period for Gracie as she hones her presentaton skills. Even so, she has a good shot to make the 2013 World team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai, especially: in the last two seasons, she hasn't seemed to relate to her music at all, and the same seems to be the case in videos of this summer's comps.

I couldn't have said this better. I feel like she's skating, and there's music playing in the background. The music could be swapped for any other piece and I wouldn't even notice. What I liked about Sasha and Michelle is that things like spirals and spins and footwork occurred during a crescendo, or some other tempo change. The American ladies now, outside of Ashley, do not move in a way that accents the music at all.

samson

Medalist
Was anyone at Ice Champions Live?? Supposedly Ashley debuted her short their tonight according to twitter. I'm really curious to see it!

I honestly think Mirai is on the upswing. She sounded really positive after champscamp, and honestly the last time I can remember her sounding that upbeat was between 2010 Nationals and the Oympics. I wouldn't read too much into but it's worth noting. There are also two videos of her skating in Japan, including her sp. One thing I've forgotten about her is how lofty her jumps can be. Her axel looks great, and she has a killer entrance into it. Also her split falling leaf, doesn't have the sort of BAM impact Michelle's gave, but boy does she float that move. And I think the choreography does hit certain accents in the music. There's one nice moment when when sort hits an ina baeur with her arms out as a cymbal crashes. It's a small moment but it's there.

I think she could use help with her musicality. But the general shapes and architecture of what she does is there, it always has been. And jazz suits her well. We'll see.

I AM looking forward to seeing Ashley's sp. It sounds like she's really happy with it, and I want to see what her team has put together. We might be able to then start making at least an educated guess at how Ashley and Gracie will stack against each other. Even though I do think that at least for the fall, if Ashley goes clean, even without a triple/triple she'll be scored above Gracie, and deservedly so.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
A new slogan, "gracie for gold!" She will do well this year. I expect good scores. And even truly a medal. I hope they dump her LP NOW! NEW music. Any ideas music lovers????

Her sp will be charming with mileage, so cute. I think Sasha could give her some performance tips though. She had the charm, the style but not those jumps and it is going to be tough in Sochi with Kim and top Russian girls. They are all awesome, such depth. I think Grace could use tweets of good luck, but I don't do twitter. Hope her fans push her a bit. She will face a very confident Wagner. I vote Ashley but can't wait to see if Gold is a Tara or Sarah in 2 years. I hope she is a fighter like them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Was anyone at Ice Champions Live?? Supposedly Ashley debuted her short their tonight according to twitter. I'm really curious to see it!

I was there. Just got back, actually. All I can say, without "spoiling" anything, is: you won't be disappointed. ;) Trust me on this one- if she performs this program to its potential, she'll be right up there in the mix. Only worry is the jumps.

I honestly think Mirai is on the upswing. She sounded really positive after champscamp, and honestly the last time I can remember her sounding that upbeat was between 2010 Nationals and the Oympics. I wouldn't read too much into but it's worth noting.

Nagasu was also at Ice Champions live. She had a nice performance; however, it was a show program. After the show I overheard a convo and she seemed ready to go as far as the season is concerned. I also told her she was going to do well this season. :biggrin:

samson

Medalist
Thanks for the update R.D. VERY excited now to see what she has on offer. It's funny, I always go into each season saying "I won't get attached to any skaters. I let go of my hopes and expectations and just enjoy it for what it is!" But come nationals I inevitably get my hopes up, or get attached to the idea of certain skaters succeeding. I have a feeling that's going to happen again. HERE WE GOOOOOOOO! :p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A new slogan, "gracie for gold!" She will do well this year. I expect good scores. And even truly a medal. I hope they dump her LP NOW! NEW music. Any ideas music lovers????

Her sp will be charming with mileage, so cute. I think Sasha could give her some performance tips though. She had the charm, the style but not those jumps and it is going to be tough in Sochi with Kim and top Russian girls. They are all awesome, such depth. I think Grace could use tweets of good luck, but I don't do twitter. Hope her fans push her a bit. She will face a very confident Wagner. I vote Ashley but can't wait to see if Gold is a Tara or Sarah in 2 years. I hope she is a fighter like them.

I do not know if the Russians will be such a threat. They are growing and losing their jumps and their artistry is not developing all that well.