Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7

DianaSelene

Medalist
Are there any videos of Lipnitskaya?
Oh, wait. The ladies competition is tomorrow. Never mind.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What was the "human hair" he was talking about? On his shoulders?:unsure:

All skaters use human hair, at least when they are young and competing. ;)

ETA:

I like Hanyu's this program. He's matured so much. His program seemed much more detailed. And I like Fernandez's SP too. His jumps were so high and looked easy. Has Fernandez lost some weight from last season? He is slimmer.

I couldn't recognize Javi from the video, not his face nor his body. He is jumping well even this time of the season.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
All skaters use human hair, at least when they are young and competing. ;)

Really? Sounds really...:disapp:

I couldn't recognize Javi from the video, not his face nor his body. He is jumping well even this time of the season.

Me too! After a few seconds into his program, I had to double check the title of the video to make sure that it was indeed Fernandez's video.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
They all have their own hair, which some fuss a great deal over to put it to good use. ;)

Of course, everybody has hair, well, except Kurt Browning, sorry Kurt.;) But to use hair, even your own hair for decoration on anything is disgusting. Yeah, I know, some people buy human hair wig. I do not object it for medical reasons. But I'm not used to the idea ...yet. Maybe Johnny Weir keeps using human hair on his costumes, I'll get used to it one day.:laugh:

Last edited:

doctor2014

On the Ice
Johnny’s first outing isn’t that bad. I hope he’ll improve on his jumps later on.

I strongly dislike Javi's SP. It's not as empty as a Morozov program, but the tackiness level is similar.
I agree. Since Javier is a Spaniard I was looking forward to a great flamenco program, but he totally didn’t pull the flamenco off. :disapp: He should take some dance lessons. Right now, his movements are very rigid, and his spins are not that good.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree that the program will need adjustments, but I thought that was a decent showing from Johnny considering he hasn't competed in more than two years. I think it's encouraging that he stood up on the 4T, even if it was <<. Anyway, hoping for more improvements from here.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He had hair when he was young and competing, like Scott Hamilton. He's competing again, but I would not call him young just so I can claim my statement as correct. Sorry, Kurt. :biggrin:

[during the SOI "behind the scenes sketch", talking about Ilia]
Scott: "...any questions?"
Kurt: "Yeah, just one. How come [Ilia] gets all the hair?"
Scott: "Kurt, we're built for speed."

:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
[during the SOI "behind the scenes sketch", talking about Ilia]
Scott: "...any questions?"
Kurt: "Yeah, just one. How come [Ilia] gets all the hair?"
Scott: "Kurt, we're built for speed."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best line from Scotty yet.

BTW, the ;) in my original statement was meant for Kurt and Scott. :)

emdee

Final Flight
I'm impressed with Hanyu's performance and think he's improved much in PCS areas. Johnny Weir, not impressed with his program at all. As usual, he has good carriage and presence, but the program is rather empty.

ITA

I did like Zavier's progrm. It is a work in progress and he will have to control those arms somewhat but it has the making of a good program.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Schultheiss is back??:popcorn: Most interesting program of all, I so want to see him at Euros again!
I m really excited to see Weir competing again that I dont pay attention to the program for now although it is very him!
Hanyu has an amazing program and attitude, has developped his own style, one question, is Wilson the choreographer of the sp? Cause in the steps with all the head.shoulders moving I thought I was watching Yuna:)
Misha Ge is a new favorite, Javier should have had his program cause i didnt like his at all.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Hanyu has an amazing program and attitude, has developped his own style, one question, is Wilson the choreographer of the sp? Cause in the steps with all the head.shoulders moving I thought I was watching Yuna:)

His SP was choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle. Buttle is such a great choreographer!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Weir's program shows promise. Loved the timing of the steps to the music before the Lutz and that footwork sequence looks like it will be very enjoyable when he does it clean. Not thrilled about the change of music after the step sequence, though. He needs to attack the Quad more and just get it rotated. I'd even purposefully have him practice landing it on two feet, if that gives him the confidence to really fly into it and turn it properly. Messing up the landing doesn't really matter. His Quad should be the solo jump in the SP too (with his combo obviously being 3Lutz-3Toe later in the program); the "no transition before the solo jump in the SP" penalty doesn't really matter since he should be planning on doing a two-foot Quad anyway. A jump can't be knocked more than -3 in the GOE and a full rotated Quad Toe with max deduction still gets 7.3 points in this dumb scoring system.

Dornbush flails too much and doesn't have the emotional capacity to skate to that music properly.

Still don't understand why Fernandez isn't going for 2 Quads in the SP. Nothing but a tactical mistake, IMO, considering his consistency with that Quad Salchow.

Hanyu's Quad got a < call, but it seemed fine to me in terms of the rotation. The construction of his program was very smart.

Last edited:

Précision

Rinkside
There's a synchro competition at this event? :clap: :clap: :clap:

YES! For the first time, synchro was included to the same competition with the other disciplines. 4 strong finnish teams, and Russia's number 1 team attended. They only performed short programs, because it's so early in the season for synchro. But anyway, it was great so show synchro for figure skating audience, and to get synvhro people to watch finlandia trophy!

Results:
1.Team Unique FIN
2. Rockettes FIN
3. Paradise RUS
4. Marigold IceUnity FIN
5. Revolutions FIN

:biggrin: