Ilia and Katia open a skating program | Golden Skate

Ilia and Katia open a skating program

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Kulik finally opens his skating rink

I am not sure if we are supposed to link to FSU but this is where I read it. The website is up and there is an adorable video of Kulik, then Katia then Liza. The big discussion as I could tell a few days ago was, is this rink big enough for American style skating as opposed to Russian type training and big enough for ice dance patterns. But only coaches listed are Ilia and Katia. Katia's bio was non existent. She had 2 0r 3 singlespics up. No pairs, no Sergei. Strange...

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You can link to FSU if you like. It's not a commercial site. What you can't do is quote their stuff without attribution.

http://www.kuliksskating.com

It is OK to post about news stories reported on other sites like FSU. It is also OK to link those sites.

The only thing that is tabu is copying and pasting entire posts from one forum to another. It is also a no-no to reveal "secret source" information that is posted in the sections of FSU that people have to pay to view.

I wandered over to FSU (where I'm not a member) and spotted this announcement. It sounds like a good enterprise, though still modest in scale. Both Katia and Ilia were trained in the old Soviet methods, and they're incredible products of those methods, with gorgeous skills, great ice speed, and (in Ilia's case) textbook jumps. If they could somehow figure out (no pun intended) how to impart those elements to a new generation of skaters, it would be splendid! Also, from the way their post-Olympic careers have gone, it's clear that both of them have a strong work ethic and will be disciplined in their approach to students. I hope this works out!

One interesting piece of evidence that argues for Katia's skills as a teacher: the pairs work she did with Valery Bure in Battle of the Blades, that Canadian TV show. If that show is anything like Dancing with the Stars, the pro partner is largely responsible for the coaching of the contestant (in this case a hockey player with no experience on figure skates).

Add to that that both Katia and Ilia have picked up English really well, so they will be able to communicate effectively with students. This isn't a small issue. They will be able to convey nuances as well as straight-on basics.

russell30

Final Flight
Wow, Looks great!! That must have cost some money, not sure if it is the right time to open a centre of that magnitude due to global recession!!

That must of cost some dollars, but I suppose their fortune must combine to at least $10 million?

But best of luck to them both!!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Good for them! I love the idea of a rink devoted to figure skating only (no hockey). Hope it succeeds.

The web site needs some work, though. Some basic copyediting is needed, as well as better bios for Ilia & Katia. Also, the location of the rink is not listed on the home page. You have to click over to the "Contact" page to find out it's in Lake Forest, CA. I think they should state the location on the home page and also list its proximity to the major cities in SoCal.

Wow, Looks great!! That must have cost some money, not sure if it is the right time to open a centre of that magnitude due to global recession!!

That must of cost some dollars, but I suppose their fortune must combine to at least $10 million?

But best of luck to them both!!

I share your concern. Maybe it's not the best time, and I as a worrywart would hold back, but these are braver souls than I. Look how they started a new life in a strange country, and how Katia kept skating as a single when all she thought she knew was pairs. When you think about it, the times haven't been good for at least four or five years. Sometimes one just has to take the step forward. Like you, I wish them good luck and success. If anyone on GS gets to see their facility, I hope we get a report.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow wish I still lived in SoCal. Looks like a great facility and they aren't charging anything above normal rates.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Huh? Maybe we have been looking at different pages... There is enough info about Katia´s bio and skating merits, in my opinion:

http://www.kuliksskating.com/about-ilia-katia/ekaterina-gordeeva.html

strange Janna, only the 2 pics and first line come up-there is no bio when I click on it-there was not that the other day. I emailed them saying I was disappointed...it may have JUST been added. Plenty about ilia, one line above Katias pics. Her golds were as a pair skater. There should be pics of this. eta, I was responded to-my email. They had one line before for Katia

"Katia is a two time Olympic gold medalist."

I said how I felt it was unfair to Katia and Sergei not to mention him. The website is different, and Sergei is remembered. Yay! She is a good skater as a single with her speed, but pairs and HIM made her a star. I hope to see a couple photos of G&G. Interesting most website to them are gone. Sergei was put into the past after her second marriage. They updated it due to mine and likely other emails. Katia had one line-which is now gone and replaced with a better bio. Wow-they are very responsive-they will be awesome coaches-(rich kids will always skate,) and they are maybe not expecting to get rich here but stay afloat. Chapter 2, as skating in SOI is drying up. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victura

On the Ice
From what I've read, Ilia has always had a strong inclination to coach. Katia perhaps a little less so, as she has mentioned in her book that it's not always easy to go from athlete to coach, since it requires very different skills in order to be an effective coach. They have both done short coaching stints (summer training camps and the like) in Flims, Switzerland and elsewhere, and I remember reading about Katia working with a junior pairs team as well as doing some choreography awhile back. This seems like a natural transition for them, and one that is certainly more ambitious than most retired skaters, but I imagine they also have more resources to pull from. Are there other facilities like this in the US, where the rink is solely dedicated to figure skating? It seems pretty unprecedented, and I certainly wish them all the success in the world.

As for "getting rich," while I'm sure it's a source of income for them, it's also, perhaps more importantly, a way for them to pass on their legacy and their vast skating knowledge to a new generation of skaters. The traditional Soviet training methods will be hugely beneficial for the skaters they train. Their fortes in skating also complement each other very well...both have amazing basics, but imagine having Ilia as a jump coach, and Katia doing your choreography and presentation!

One thing that's not very clear to me from the website is what level some of these classes are, which would be especially helpful if people from out of town intend on visiting the rink. They clearly welcome skaters of all kinds from their website (little skaters, competitive skaters, adult skaters) and have an open door policy, but I would hate to be, for example, the lone adult skater next to competitive kids in one of the skating skills classes. (Although quite frankly, as a longtime Katia fan, I'd be happy to pay to just watch a lesson and have her demonstrate the entire time! :) Maybe they should have some dedicated adult classes just for all their fans who want to be able to skate with them, ha!) However, the rink is just getting off the ground, and these are things that I'm sure will be worked out in due course.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Are there other facilities like this in the US, where the rink is solely dedicated to figure skating? It seems pretty unprecedented, and I certainly wish them all the success in the world.
I'm not exactly sure if their rink stands alone (wondering if one of the rinks in Lake Placid or Colorado Springs is figure skating only and possibly Lake Arrowhead) but it is unusual.

I would hate to be, for example, the lone adult skater next to competitive kids in one of the skating skills classes.
This would likely never happen - Ilia isn't mixing apples and oranges on his schedule. Competitive kids have their classes and there is not yet an Adult Class (non-coaches, non-professional) on the schedule but it's certainly on his priority list. He did tell us when discussing his plans that he will help each student (adult or otherwise) choose the right class - it's very direct between him and each student.

I'm excited too!!

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm not exactly sure if their rink stands alone (wondering if one of the rinks in Lake Placid or Colorado Springs is figure skating only and possibly Lake Arrowhead) but it is unusual.

The Skating Club of Boston is also a figure skating-only rink. No hockey. It's a single-rink facility and quite nice, although it's an older building. It's a pretty high-profile training center right now; I believe Ross Miner, Christina Gao, Castelli & Shnapir, and Donlan & Speroff all train there.

This would likely never happen - Ilia isn't mixing apples and oranges on his schedule. Competitive kids have their classes and there is not yet an Adult Class (non-coaches, non-professional) but when there are a few adults who can commit to the same time period, it's certainly on his priority list. He did tell us when discussing his plans that he will help each student (adult or otherwise) choose the right class - it's very direct between him and each student.

I'm excited too!!

You got this directly from Ilia? Cool! I'm glad to know that he has a clear picture of the details; that gives me confidence in the future success of the rink.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
You got this directly from Ilia? Cool! I'm glad to know that he has a clear picture of the details; that gives me confidence in the future success of the rink.

Yep, that's what he said.

He sat down and had a long discussion with Krew members almost exactly a year ago about his plans, a lot of specifics and he answered a lot of questions. I look forward to everyone being able to hear him discuss Kulik's Skating in his own words soon via interviews that are in his planning. He is very specific, he has thought a great deal about the details of his program, and is very passionate and inspiring (that was our collective impression after our chat) when he speaks about it. He is extremely clear about what he is doing, why and how. I can't speak for him (would never do that) but I can assure you that he has a lot to say on the topic - and it's all fascinating stuff!

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love: Just 'WOW' to this wonderful news!

Must be a dream of dreams, besides the Olympic gold medal, for any figure skaters to have their OWN rink/facilities to skate, teach and raise the next generations for the sport they love so much, isn't it? :yes:

:yay: Best of luck to Ilia and Katia! :yay: