Ice Dance & Carmen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance & Carmen

I personally can't hate any movie with Fred Astaire. Don't have it in me. There are parts of the movie that wear a bit thin (the whole Empathicalism subplot), but to watch Astaire dance is one of the great joys of the cinema.

I quite like V/M's rendition of the music from Funny Face, but this year my heart went to D/W's Die Fledermaus.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
re: Carmen

I prefer K/O to B/B simple due to the former's technical superiority, but B/B certainly had a strong performance. I love the expressiveness of Krylova, the stylized aggression of Ovsiannikov and the highlights of the choreography (that curve llift). You totally imagine her killing him at the end (something that I'd be floored if Tessa was able to convey) and he's not shrinking violet or anything. I do prefer the two FDs that surround this (Masquerade Waltz and African Drums), fwiw.

re: Funny Face

I think it's terrific (the movie). Stanley Donen's use of color alone is astonishing. Don't care for Audrey Hepburn one bit, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My dislike of Funny Face dates to when it was new and I hated the songs on the radio :) , especially S'Wonderful. I hate to hear anyone torturing the English language to make a rhythm or rhyme work out in a song. I usually hit the roof especially at sparadise.
V&M did a great job with it. I just can't stand Fred & Audrey's singing. Fred's dancing now :love: :love:

I own a couple of Dark Side of The Moon-I just never liked the Great Gig in The Sky track. I don't hate it with the ferver with which I dislike S'Wonderful and I Will Wait For You, but I skip past it on the CD.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video: Virtue/Moir talk about Carmen to PJ Kwong

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
I uploaded a @YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipzpb8A2IoI&feature=youtu.be&a Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir talk Carmen at HPC
5:54 AM - 10 Sep 12​

ETA:
The video is only 1:18 in length.
V/M talk about their contemporary/modern version of Carmen, with their story line relying more on body movements than on facial expressions.
The video is fun to watch; Moir shows some of his charmingly goofy side as Virtue attempts to give a straight answer to Kwong's question about what will differentiate "Tessa Virtue's Carmen".​

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
I uploaded a @YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipzpb8A2IoI&feature=youtu.be&a Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir talk Carmen at HPC
5:54 AM - 10 Sep 12​

ETA:
The video is only 1:18 in length.
V/M talk about their contemporary/modern version of Carmen, with their story line relying more on body movements than on facial expressions.
The video is fun to watch; Moir shows some of his charmingly goofy side as Virtue attempts to give a straight answer to Kwong's question about what will differentiate "Tessa Virtue's Carmen".​

Sweet! I can't wait for next season!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Yes, she is an actress. Her husband is Igor Bobrin, maybe you don't know they have a little ice theater in Moscow. Natalia isn't too pretty today. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVzdvZxqW0&feature=related the end of the show, it was in 2011.

Very OT, but her husband's former wife (another Natalia!) was my first coach.

Back to Carmen-- it really depends on the style. I didn't like Navka/Kostamarov's Carmen, because theirs was really trying to play to the new rules of the time. we've had the COP for a good eight years now, and Virtue/Moir, while successful 6.0 skaters, really grew up with the new system. I expect that they'll be able to not only skate to the demands of the COP, but be able to express the music.

In one of the interviews, Moir himself said he felt that Carmen was overused, but he and Tessa felt it was one of the most emotional and dramatic pieces.

In another part of the interview (or maybe in another one), V/M said that their short program will be to a piece composed by the actor Anthony Hopkins. So they're not using the tried and true for all their music. This is very exciting to contemplate. Hopkins is a music scholar and has composed several works (which I haven't yet heard), and I'm excited both as a fan of Hopkins and as a V/M fan that they're making such a music choice. The Carmen I guess we'll have to wait and judge on its own merits. After all, it is a powerful piece of music—I have faith that Tessa and Scott will find a way to make it innovative and exciting.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
So I see that Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte will be performing in Opera on Ice tomorrow in Verona. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120921&content_id=38775850&vkey=ice_news

Are they expected to perform their new Carmen FD?

The IN article includes Carmen on the list of operas from which arias will be performed.

Why do you think that they will perform to Carmen? Plushenko will perform to Habanera.:agree: Do you know they will skate to Carmen too?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, plushyfan, but I think you misunderstood my previous post. I was not saying that I believed that C/L would perform their Carmen FD -- I was asking whether they would.

And I now see that the Opera on Ice program is posted online, and that Plushenko will be the only one to perform to Carmen.
http://www.operaonice.eu/en/programma-della-serata.html

I apologize for raising the C/L question at all. :(

So ... will both Virtue/Moir and C/L debut their Carmen FDs at Finlandia? (Sorry if that's another dumb question. :eek:hwell:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Glad to be in your good company, Olympia. :)

To clarify my question: We know that V/M and C/L both are on the entry list for Finlandia, and that it is only two weeks away. So at this rate, will there be any other opportunity before then for C/L to present their Carmen FD for the first time? I'm guessing that the answer would be No. (I feel sure that the answer for V/M is No.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bestmianova was never a natural beauty but she looks great; hasn't changed really from 1988 so congrats to her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am very curious how C and L and V and M will fare? Moir can be over the top and I am not sure Tessa can show the meatiness and dramatic presence expected from Carmen. I am sure she won't pull a Nagasu - fake Miss America smile or skating pricess approach.

emdee

Final Flight
If you see Tessa's fierceness in Farrucas there is more than enough dramatic presence there.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I wouldn't say Virtue was all that fierce in Farrucas- it kind of felt very very well rehearsed, she did quick movements and different facial expressions but that is not what I would like to see in a legendary carmen performance. It was a liitle fake.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say Virtue was all that fierce in Farrucas- it kind of felt very very well rehearsed, she did quick movements and different facial expressions but that is not what I would like to see in a legendary carmen performance. It was a liitle fake.

Fake? Nah, the smolder and passion and fire were there. It wasn't over the top or unnecessarily emotive, and she used her body exquisitely. Different strokes, different folks.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Fake? Nah, the smolder and passion and fire were there. It wasn't over the top or unnecessarily emotive, and she used her body exquisitely. Different strokes, different folks.

All I can say is, To each their own. I have seen so many far superior performances exhibiting smolder and passion that this does not touch me.