Scamming call! | Golden Skate

Scamming call!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just got a call from a guy with a thick Indian accent telling me I needed to give him access to my computer because it was telling "windows" that we had a bunch of "malicious error messages" on the hard drive. When I said I was not comfortable with that he began to get angry and repeated his message. I [lied] told him that our computer'd been off for quite some time so I didn't see why it would do that, he said it had nothing to do with the computer, and that the computer (no joke) was sending these messages to "windows" and that is why he was calling. When I asked him the name of the owner of the computer he said "ma'am I cannot give that to you". So I told him that I still didn't feel comfortable but that I would get it looked at by our LOCAL computer tech. He then told me I was being a "racist <bleep!>" (not once did I mock his accent or even mention he had one) and hung up on me. Be aware that scammers are calling. The Caller ID showed the name as "live78956" and gives "UNKNOWN NUMBEr".

Thanks for the alert, Toni. I know this particular scam sounds obvious, but when these phone calls (or computer messages) take us by surprise, we sometimes do something rash or inadvertent. So it's good to hear beforehand what's floating around out there.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I make it a rule to never give out personal information, especially a credit card number :laugh: to people who call me. The biggest scammers are people running charities for disasters, charities with similar names to well known cancer charities, charities for children, and Veterans' related charities. If a charity sounds interesting, look it up before giving to it. I have had people call me with scamming charities in all these areas. They sounded perfectly legitimate, but weren't. It's worse because legitimate charities will also call you on the phone.

Here's the FBI's hints for avoiding scamming charities:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...ng-fraudulent-charitable-contribution-schemes

Charity Navigator's Tips for Savvy Donors
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/cpid/419

Also some charities that are real; at least compliant with the law, do not give very much to the cause they are supposed to be supporting.

The 20 Worst Charities in America (and this doesn't include the complete crooks) compiled by the Oregon state attorney general

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/12...ties-in-america-according-to-oregons-attorne/

From the article:

Kroger pointed out that California-based organization Shiloh International Ministries -- which is supposed to use its money providing help to children, veterans and the homeless -- actually spends 96% of its donations on management and fundraising.

The California-based nonprofit spent an average of $1,023,215 per year.

Other charities Kroger highlighted include:
• Association for Firefighters and Paramedics, based in California
• Korean War Veterans National Museum & Library, based in Illinois
• Foundation for American Veterans, based in Michigan
• Big Hope, in South Carolina
• Law Enforcement Education Program, in Michigan
• National Vietnam Veterans Foundation, in Virginia
• Dogs Against Drugs/Dogs Against Crime, in Indiana
• Firefighters Charitable Foundation, in New York
• Committee for Missing Children, in Georgia
• The Wishing Well Foundation, in Louisiana

Thanks, Doris! That's really helpful information. I know there was a police charity that used to call me all the time, and of course one's a bit scared of not donating to the police or firefighters, because would they drag their feet if one needed their help? And of course children, dogs, missing children, missing dogs...easy to get people to give.

Many of these charities aren't dangerous scams, exactly, in that they're not after your information to commit identity theft. They're bad charities because they use donation money to feed themselves (probably in the form of inflated salaries) rather than to go out to their supposed beneficiaries. I've forgotten what the rule of thumb is about overhead is, but the ideal is that something like 80% should go to the beneficiaries, with the rest going for overhead. Here's another checkout site with rules about what charities have to report to the IRS, and how you can use this information to help determine suitability:

http://www.charitychoices.com/checkout.asp

The year of the giant Pacific tsunami, I remember giving to three international charities: the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, and the American Friends' Service (the Quakers). I joked to my friends that my determining factor was whether a charity has won the Nobel Peace Prize, which I think all three of these have.

heyang

Record Breaker
I also check Charity Navigator and other sites to ensure that a high proportion of money raised goes to the purpose, instead of administrative and marketing costs. It's also important to note that some chapters of larger organizations are more efficient than others.

At one time, our local paper was donating to charity if you paid for a subscription. I told the caller 'no thanks' and he chastised me for not wanting to give to charity. I told him that he would've had more luck asking for a donation vs asking to buy a subscription to the paper.