COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go.... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
colleen, did you not find a Sound of Music photo like one of these?

That's the frothy Julie Andrews dress that I believe inspired Weaver's costume.

Weaver's new SD costume for Cup of China has gotten closer yet to the Julie Andrews dress. :yes: ;)
http://photography.ice-dance.com/2012-13/12CoC/SD/12CoC-SD-0777-WP-JK.jpg.php
http://photography.ice-dance.com/2012-13/12CoC/SD/12CoC-SD-0743-WP-JK.jpg.php

Wishing Weaver/Poje the best for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree Korpi is a stunning Nordic goddess whose costumes are elegant with an edge-she is European. She is perfect all the time-like Carol Heiss or Tonia Kwiatkowski-never a hair out of place.
Another American Irish beauty with the best costumes was Nancy Kerrigan. She was the epitome of elegant when Krsiti and Tonya sported mall hair and overdone costumes. Nancy's LP dress from Lillehammer was loved-Vera did Nancy before she became MK's goto dress maker. MK had so many lovely dresses. She was always understated. Nothing stands out as much as Nancy's Iconic dress but all were pretty and timeless-her burgundy SOTBS dress was so pretty-perfect for her tiny but curvy shape. Sasha had some fiery but elegant dresses she designed-I loved her as she was a standout. Sarah Hughes had lovely dresses as she matured. I loved her unitard for fosse-all legs and arms at 16! I think of Alissa and like her Pink Vie en Rose dress. Watching the SOI skaters in their hey day was a treat. Roz wore a nautical Navy blue sparkler for her last season in SOI I still recall-she was so beautiful and mature at 33 when she retired I think. Each year people try to be original -this year is Suzuki's peacock costume-she truly moves like a bird, but the bombshell award must go to Gracie Gold whose sp dress is breathtaking. Enough diamonds to think Liz Taylor designed it. She is so stunning-I practically gasped. WOW!!!!!! She is only ever outdone this year by Kira.

Carolina's unitard was a hit! Wow! incredible athlete and stunner. I always loved Katia's dresses with Sergei and as a solo. She looks like her body will stay 30 forever. The young Katia was just a dream to dress in her solo numbers-she was such a natural beauty, and still looks great-however one sees she loves the ca sun-she has truly lived her life with passion. It seems like yesterday sergei passed.

I love Yukas LP dress this year. She i so thin-too thin but looks lovely-I have not see Tatian's dresses with Max this year, I hope they are elegant-my favorite pair is so elegant. For ice dance I love how Voir are styled in general and Weaver/Poje. Her blue dress is def a homage to Julie Andrews in Sound of Music-a great, wonderful family movie. J'adore.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I forgot about Kiira! I think this is my all-time favorite costume ever, her black and white one:

http://www.kiira-korpi.net/modules/wordpress/attach/A20801319.jpg

and this would be a runner up:
http://static.iltalehti.fi/julkkislista/kiirakorpi__2310_SP_jl.jpg

One of my first memories of professional skating is from when I was around 5-6 years old. I was watching Nicole Bobek on T.V. and I swear (going off my memory from when I was 5) she wore a costume that had black and white stripes? When I was 5 I absolutely loved it... although now I cannot find a picture of it, so maybe my memory from when I was 5 is fuzzy ;) Now looking back I am sure it is nothing special but when I was 5 it really left an impression on me (and her spirals!). Therefore I think that is why I like Kiirs's black/white costume so much because it brings back memories from when I was little watching skating.

Bobek was a blond stunner, long lines with every costume so beautiful. I loved her dresses and her skating. The first to have a really great extension from her ballet training. She did not open up her hip a la Kwan to get the height-she had a ballerina's true extension as did Sasha. Mao does it right as well...but for costumes while I love some of Asada's I too am not always a fan of the Japanese-neither the women or the men. I love Mao's LP dress this year, and she is confection-have to love her. I am still waiting for Yuna to have the perfect dress-I guess her Gershwin Blue LP from Olympics was her best-and so much copied...this year Nagasu grew up-she looks stunning-glitz and glam are where it is at in ladies elite this year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think she wore black and white stripes at the Too Hot To Skate show... For her marilyn routine... I'll see if I can find my tape.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We are now half-way through the 2012/13 Grand Prix Series and, except for Polina Korobeynikova (16), we have now seen all the Russian Ladies singles skaters that are taking part in the series once. So, on the eve of the Cup of Russia, I thought that this would be an opportune time to point out something I have noticed, and am getting a bit concerned about.

We all know that there is a very tough competition between the Russian girls to claim 1 of the 3 places in the teams being sent to the European and World Championships. However, is it just me, or is there also a competition between the Russian girls as to who will wear the most revealing outfit?

The thing that is concerning me is that it seems to be the younger members of the Russian team that seem to be wearing the most revealing outfits.

Alena Leonova (at 21 the oldest of the girls) has not worn anything revealing. But, given that she came 2nd in last year's World Championships, Alena is probably the most sure of a place in the team. Ksenia Makarova (the next oldest at 19) is only included in this discussion because of something beyond her control that in future can be easily prevented. And Sofia Biryukova (the 3rd oldest at 18) is only included in this discussion because of something I found funny.

As this is a family website, I will not go into any really detailed descriptions of the outfits, or post photos. But, at the same time, I will not be too vague as to not get my point across. So, I hope that this reaches the appropriate balance between the two!

Alena Leonova (21)

Skate America FS: This may seem a bit back to front, but I watched the Skate America Free before the Short (blame Eurosport!), so it makes more sense to me dealing with this competition this way! Anyway, back to the point. Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate America SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Adelina Sotnikova (16)

Skate America FS: Althpugh the whole of the upper torso of the dress was transparent, it was not to the extent that you could see anything. What concerned me more was just how figure-hugging it was. I've seen figure-hugging dresses before, but not quite as figure-hugging as this. A girl of her age should not be wearing a dress like that.

Skate America SP: OK, so the transparent areas were not as extensive as the outfit she wore in the Free, but they were positioned in areas that should NEVER be transparent, regardless of the wearer's age.
It wouldn't have been so bad if she had done like some other skaters and worn something underneath the dress (even just a bra). But, she didn't.

Polina Shelepen (17)

Skate Canada SP: Like Adelina, the transparent areas of the dress were too extensive. The difference was that Polina's transparent areas were lower down than Adelina's. But, at least Polina's dress had tassels which helped hide the transparent areas.

Skate Canada FS: I don't think I've ever seen a skater wear a dress with as low a neck line as that. I have to admit, I was worried for the jumps! But, my worries were unfounded. Polina continued the theme of having the transparency lower down by wearing a transparent skirt. But, it was actually quite a nice skirt, and it didn't show anything, so there's no problems there.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (15)

Skate Canada SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate Canada FS: I absolutely love Liza, but I am just not sure about her wearing a dress (beautiful though it is) that shows off of her "assets" as much as this dress does. You have to remember that she is not even 16 yet.

Ksenia Makarova (19)

Skate Canada SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate Canada FS: Again, beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it. The only problem was that you could see that the coldness of the air was affecting Ksenia. But, nothing that an extra layer underneath the dress wouldn't fix…

Sofia Biryukova (18)

Cup Of China SP: Beautiful dress. Although the transparent areas are quite extensive, there is nothing wrong with them as they are well positioned. I just included Sofia in this discussion as I wanted to point out that I found it funny how similar Sofia's SP outfit was to Brian Joubert's SP outfit!

Cup Of China FS: Beautiful outfit. Nothing wrong with it.

Julia Lipnitskaia (14)

Cup Of China SP: Beautiful outfit. Nothing wrong with it. When I saw this outfit, I thought "Thank goodness Julia hasn't joined in with the other young Russian girls. She's far too young for that sort of carry on!" I spoke too soon…

Cup Of China FS: A bit like Adelina's FS dress in that the transparent areas were not as extensive as they could have been, but were positioned in areas that should NOT be transparent! But, at least Julia's transparent areas were patterned, which helped protect her modesty.

In conclusion, I feel that the younger Russian Ladies singles skaters are playing a very dangerous game. They are all excellent skaters, so they do not need to resort to wearing revealing outfits to get noticed. At the end of the day, it will be their skating talents that earn them a place in the teams for the Europeans and the Worlds, not what they are wearing.

Sorry for being controversial so soon after joining, but I felt this issue needed to be raised. Frankly, this trend needs to be nipped in the bud before it gets any further.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just thought I would add an update to my previous comment.

Firstly, I was a bit dismayed that Adelina Sotnikova wore the same costumes at the Cup of Russia that she wore at Skate America. You would have thought that she would have chosen a different SP costume after seeing just how much of her chest you could see through the side of that dress.

At the time I wrote the original comment, I hadn't watched any of the gala exhibitions. But, I have now watched the Skate America gala, and I would just like to say that I thought Adelina's gala dress was absolutely beautiful. Something similar for the competitions would have been a lot more appropriate.

I have just hunted down videos from earlier competitions in the 2012/13 season and, as a result, I have a theory. I am starting to get the impression that the other Russian girls were perhaps responding to Adelina being so daring with her costumes in Skate America.

At the end of September, Adelina competed at the Nebelhorn trophy. Now, in all 3 of her performances in Oberstdorf, Adelina wore different outfits to what she wore in her Grand Prix appearances. And none of them were at all revealing.

Polina Shelepen was also at Oberstdorf, and although she wore the same FS costume as at Skate Canada, her SP costume was different. Whereas the dress she wore in Canada was largely transparent with tassels over, her costume in Germany was much more like what we are used to seeing - with skin-coloured areas rather than transparent areas.

It was the same with Julia Lipnitskaia at the Finlandia Trophy at the start of October. Julia wore the same SP costume as at the Cup of China, but her FS costume was different. Like Polina Shelepen in Germany, Julia's FS costume in Finland was more like what we are used to. Although her Finlandia dress did have transparent areas, they were positioned in the area we traditionally find them - the midriff.

So, it seems to me that the Russian girls saw Adelina's new costumes at Skate America, and some of them thought "Oh. We'll have to wear something daring as well if we want to get noticed enough to get into the team".

I'm not sure how accurate my theory is, but it seems plausible.

Also, since I wrote my comment, we have seen Polina Korobeynikova's first performance of the Grand Prix series. So here is my verdict on her costumes at the Cup of Russia.

Polina Korobeynikova (16)

Polina K did not wear anything revealing at the Cup of Russia. In fact, she wore two very beautiful dresses. But, what impressed me more was her skating. She has improved immensely since the appearances I saw from her last year. Perhaps Polina K is the dark horse in the race for a place in the Russian team at the Europeans and Worlds…

But, as I said in my previous comment, I hope that this trend for revealing costumes is nipped in the bud sooner rather than later. It is just taking away from the excellent skating that we want to see.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

avalyn

Rinkside
^I didn't notice the inappropriateness of those costumes until it was pointed out. :eek:hwell: I can see why they might be pressured to appear older, since many people say things like they lack maturity in artistry/presentation.

I loved Kanako's short program dress:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-toVzX-eMFSc/UI3xchx_KnI/AAAAAAAAfys/TdmqNk4lY3M/s1600/MurakamiSP_1.jpg
Beautiful variation of colors on the floaty skirt and a one-shoulder pale blue top with silver details

It reminded me a lot of Yukina Ota's, hers matched the organic, impressionistic Daphnis & Chloe music well:
http://www.oocities.org/fourcontinents2004_6/ota4.jpg

Akiko Suzuki's long program dress this season is one of the most stunning bird-theme costumes, I think:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcnejyPjTF1qklgayo1_500.jpg

Also like Ashley Wagner's long program dress, it looks really good on her.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, hopefully this will be the final comment I post on this matter. ;) :biggrin:

^I didn't notice the inappropriateness of those costumes until it was pointed out. :eek:hwell: I can see why they might be pressured to appear older, since many people say things like they lack maturity in artistry/presentation.

Mmmm. All I can say is that Julia certainly put on some very mature performances in Paris this weekend - she was absolutely sensational!!! ;) :D But, I know what you are getting at!

Anyway, back what I was planning to write.

I just wanted to say that I was delighted to see that for their 2nd GP series appearance in France, Julia and Liza both wore different dresses in the FS to the ones that I was complaining about.

Liza's dress in particular was absolutely beautiful! (but, I would say that, wouldn't I?!) It was very similar to her Skate Canada FS dress, except that instead of the plunging neckline, it had a red patterned area which contrasted brilliantly with the black of the rest of her dress.

Although Liza wore her Canadian FS dress for her gala performance in France, I actually liked it under the gala lighting! It looked a lot more impressive than it did under the normal lighting, and it no longer looked like she was just trying to "show off her 'assets' " (as I put it in my original comment in this thread).

It's amazing the difference that the gala lighting can make. I know she's not Russian or a teenager, but take the completely transparent dress that Ashley Wagner wore in her gala performances this year. I haven't seen it in normal light, but I would imagine that it would look a little bit desperate. But, under the gala lighting, it looks really impressive.

And as for Julia, I loved the colour of her dress at Paris. It was the same colour as the dress that she wore for her FS at the Finlandia Trophy, but it was a lot nicer. The Finlandia dress had a very low neckline (a bit like Polina Shelepen's FS top), but the French dress not only had a higher neckline, but also had a nice lacey bit above it.

Oh, and I just realised that I forgot to mention in my original comment that there was another Russian teenager that was wearing a top in their Skate Canada SP that was too transparent …

Artur Gachinski!!!

So, it's not just the girls that are at it!!! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Can I just say how much I love Ashley Wagner's LP dress? This is one of my favorite costumes the last few years. I just love the deep yellow color, the glam factor, and how well it fits the program. Ashley looks simply great in it.

Kiira Korpi's costumes are also, as usual, gorgeous. She certainly does the elegant, ladylike look very well.

I love Cappelllini & Lanotte's Carmen costumes. That red dress is so striking--I love the the poufs and the dramatic cut. Anna looks fantastic. And Pechalat & Bourzat's FD costumes--to die for. (I know a lot of people don't like them, but I personally think they're perfect, and once again accentuate the effortless sexiness of this team.) I've also decided I like Kavaguti & Smirnov's LP costumes. That deep, intense, prismatic color really evokes the cold, wintry feeling of their February music. Very very attractive.

Worst costumes of the year? Julia Lipnitskaya's. I hate the black tights in the SP costume. And that candy-cotton pink LP dress is terrible. Her costumes are very juniorish, just like her skating.

I can't say I like Gracie Gold's costumes much better. I think she's too young for the strapless look. Also I don't like the dress colors, they're both a little too bright and flashy.