COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
golden411..Yes I saw that SoM dress..The two are nothing alike , except Kaitlyn's dress is also blue.

Julie's dress is patterned. Kaitlyn's is not...Julie's dress has a collar bone neckline and deep frills or flounces that serve as sleeves , covering the shoulders and much of the upper arm.The upper bodice is gathered and cinched into a wide cumberbund-like waistband and a slightly gathered skirt.( I think there's even smocking at the neck and waist creating the gathers )... It looks like chiffon, over something else.

Kaitlyn's has a medium-low square neckline front and back, either cap sleeves ( because they only cover the shoulder caps ) or a short very slightly puffed sleeve..( hard to tell in 3-4 seconds).It falls in a slim slight A-line from under the bust ( no waist ), and appears to be a fine weight silk ...No froth here , just float and flutter.

Maybe the blue is meant to evoke this scene from the movie ,to a degree... and she may be somewhat demure, but she's a much more sophisticated looking character. (Which is fine by me..I often prefer a not too literal interpretation...just a riff on a theme. )

Of course , this may not be the dress..:laugh:..we'll have to wait and see.

LOL, definitely a big ol' "agree to disagree" situation, colleen. :laugh:
"Froth" vs. "float and flutter" is in the eye of the beholder.
And if Weaver's priority were a sophisticated dress, I wish W/P had stayed away from The Sound of Music. Maria is a beauty on the inside and outside. If the Captain wanted conventional sophistication, he would not have jilted the baroness to marry Maria. (Straying too far from the original story line makes me wonder why a certain piece of music was chosen in the first place.)

I missed last season's discussion of costuming, so don't know what you thought of the dangling strap of Weaver's FD dress. I guess it was intended to be a significant detail reflecting her character. To me, it was a pointless and counterproductive distraction. (Sorry, W/P.)

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
golden 411..Yes..we will have to agree to disagree..;) Here's my beef with too-literal translations in costuming - it can drastically interfere with what ought to be the Prime Directive ..The costume should flatter the skater. So often , when trying to duplicate a costume made originally for a different art form , it just doesn't.

To judge how well a couple is skating / dancing , you need to see what their bodies are doing . If you put Kaitlyn in the movie Maria dress , it would be difficult to see what she was doing with her torso ( and the all - important back ). It may work beautifully for an actress in a movie , but not for a dancer or skater. It's not enough for a dancer or skater to be beautiful on the inside . They need to make beautiful ( and precise ) shapes with their bodies ( beauty on the outside) ... And particularly in an SD, they're being judged on the character of the dance , not on a 2 1/2 minute portrayal of a character from a 2 hr. ( or whatever ) movie.

:eek:..Let's not open up the shoulder strap debate all over again..please? I'm not pointing a finger at you , because I don't know how you felt about these other examples , but it strained belief ( for me ) that so many people choked on one small detail on a very simple costume , while swallowing whole something like this..

http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&...seems-to-hate-pechalatbourzat/&docid=7M-fDKFo

or this...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&...obrova_Dmitri_Soloviev.JPG&docid=OLa89kPJCRDP

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Agree that the costume should flatter the skater. Agree that the skater needs to make beautiful and precise shapes.

Different words have different meanings to different people, so one point on which I think we disagree:
To me, "beauty" can exist without "sophistication." And vice versa.

Based on your response, I am fine with leaving the topic of the strap alone. And of P/B's costumes as ancient Egyptians. As I say, I missed last year's discussion of costumes -- sounds as if it was a lot more contentious than I imagined. (I didn't have much reaction to the Russian costumes one way or the other.)

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
Allow me to join the disagreement. Sophistication, to me, implies a certain degree of 'been there, done that'. Weaver and Poje, after years of wandering in the wilderness of wretched excess costume-wise, have turned the corner to an elegant simplicity that emphasizes their beautiful long lines. Their costumes are appropriate to the music, without trying to tell the story. Some skaters a la Meryl and Charlie, and Kiira Korpi have this, Tessa and Scott had it, but seem to have stepped away from it in the past year, hopefully they can regain it. This is not the halloween party 'sophistication' that involves cigarette holders anf fishnet hose.
Those who were distracted by one small detail of a simple dress need to practice looking at the larger picture. There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
golden411 .. if words have different meanings to different people , some of those people are not checking with their dictionary or thesaurus..;) Some words can have more than one meaning ,and how they're to be taken depends on the context .

Of course beauty and sophistication can exist independent of each other. I never suggested they couldn't .My meaning was that Kaitlyn's dress is both beautiful and sophisticated ( in design and execution ). It's also modest and simple. ( and in that way , pretty consistent with the character of Maria ).

Very often , excess decoration and detail are a mark of lack of sophistication in the art of design. Sometimes when I use that word I'm referring to the design of the costume more than the skater. In the case of W/P ,I mean both. With their long ,lean lines they cut a sophisticated figure on the ice . Why work against that ? They've just begun to really tap into it in the last two years.

When they announced their music, I believe Andrew said they chose the music as a tribute to his late Grandmother.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.

Agree completely with the sentence above. I promised colleen earlier that I would leave the strap issue alone, so I have to refrain from reacting to the sentence that came before it. :)

.. if words have different meanings to different people , some of those people are not checking with their dictionary or thesaurus..;)

LOL, I think you just put the entire legal profession and judicial system out of business. ;)

It's also modest and simple. ( and in that way , pretty consistent with the character of Maria ).

Agree to some extent with these comments. :)

When they announced their music, I believe Andrew said they chose the music as a tribute to his late Grandmother.

I had forgotten that. Agree that it's a sweet motivation. RIP, Hilda.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: As to the legal profession and judicial system...you could add politicians , who often want to pretend they meant something other than what they said , after the fact...

Don't take me as being too combative... I am serious in my opinion, but not meaning to jump on you.

If you missed last year's costume debates... though I'm sure some people might actually have been distracted by the strap, ( I wasn't in the least, and in fact, didn't notice it at all once they began to move ) There was a lot of very vehement criticism... far beyond what such a small detail warranted ... So you couldn't help feeling that the real problem was that W/P were doing as well as they were.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No worries, colleen. I will not always agree with you, but your opinions are worth reading.
Plus I love your avatar -- from The Incredibles, right?
And LOL, just realized that you are the self-appointed Constable of the Costume Police. You are indeed serious about this subject! ;)

So ... in case some of these SD costumes will be new to you, here's the link to IN's photos from Salt Lake City:
http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=38368670

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She is beautiful too and has great taste. However, a beautiful dress does not me it represents the program the best. Korpi beautiful outfits and lady but if you were judging for appropriateness or to the music not always the best. This is not a beauty contest; it is a performance sometimes she would be wearing like a beautiful princess dress but it is a dark haunted house halloween party. Beautiful dres sbut not necessarily theme or music appropriate or the best.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
She is beautiful too and has great taste. However, a beautiful dress does not me it represents the program the best. Korpi beautiful outfits and lady but if you were judging for appropriateness or to the music not always the best. This is not a beauty contest; it is a performance sometimes she would be wearing like a beautiful princess dress but it is a dark haunted house halloween party. Beautiful dres sbut not necessarily theme or music appropriate or the best.

I agree with this idea. I'm getting to the point where I prefer costumes that express the concept of the music, even if they're not necessarily perfectly "tasteful" or something I would personally wear--as opposed to costumes that are simply pretty or attractive. Kira's costumes are all beautiful but haven't necessarily made a statement of any sort. The best, of course, is when the costumes express the character of the music AND are very attractive!

slipslidin

On the Ice
The rules don't actually mention costumes. They refer to clothing. Of course all sporting events have distinctive costumes suitable to the sport. Figure skating rules tend to be reactive regarding dress, they come into being when someone is deemed to have gone too far. For men, no deep v necks, displays of body hair are verboten, and tights are out. Ladies ice-dance costumes must have a skirt, a given percentage of the torso must be covered, and I believe there is still a rule against flesh coloured tights worn without undies.

13KJC13

Rinkside
Those who were distracted by one small detail of a simple dress need to practice looking at the larger picture. There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.

I'm just curious about people's perceptions. Would W/P's FD have had the same impact and audience appeal if it had been performed at the same technical level and with the same emotional intensity by two less physically attractive skaters?

slipslidin

On the Ice
Hard to say, Weaver and Poje really made that program their own. Unattractive costumes and styling could have lessened their impact, though, IMO.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
13KJC13... who can say ? For me though , following your hypothesis that the imaginary couple would have equal technical ability and emotional intensity to W/P ..then we reach the point where the costume can make a world of difference.

The simplicity of their costumes allowed me to fully appreciate their performance , and the same would be true of any other couple.

But one hypothetical provokes another... In a different style of costume , say if she'd had a lot of flapping tatters with a large sequined bleeding heart on her chest and/or if he had been dressed in huge puffed sleeves ,maybe one side of his costume a different colour from the other to imply that now he wants to stay , now he wants to go... I'm sure I would have been distracted , and probably would have found the total effect over the top.

As it was ,I thought they got the emotional tone just right..stemming from their ability to portray emotion ( no explanation , no extreme face making, or costume signage needed ) and nothing in the costume obscured their line or technique.

Being an attractive couple is always an asset , but looks alone wont get you to #4 in the world.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
John Coughlin ‏@JohnCoughlinUSA
Lord, please guide me with Your grace as I attempt to make intelligent decisions regarding the laundering and care of my costumes.
4:48 PM - 1 Oct 12​

slipslidin

On the Ice
Can someone encourage "nature boy' to keep his shirt on? Or grant him the gift to see himself as others see him.

Skating Gator

Rinkside
I forgot about Kiira! I think this is my all-time favorite costume ever, her black and white one:

http://www.kiira-korpi.net/modules/wordpress/attach/A20801319.jpg

and this would be a runner up:
http://static.iltalehti.fi/julkkislista/kiirakorpi__2310_SP_jl.jpg

One of my first memories of professional skating is from when I was around 5-6 years old. I was watching Nicole Bobek on T.V. and I swear (going off my memory from when I was 5) she wore a costume that had black and white stripes? When I was 5 I absolutely loved it... although now I cannot find a picture of it, so maybe my memory from when I was 5 is fuzzy ;) Now looking back I am sure it is nothing special but when I was 5 it really left an impression on me (and her spirals!). Therefore I think that is why I like Kiirs's black/white costume so much because it brings back memories from when I was little watching skating.