Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I rather loved skateluvr's post. The lack of punctuation actually made it better! An honest stream of thought.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Back on Michelle Kwan. You set up a box yourself on what it looks like or should look like. That is your idea. Everybody is different. I truly believe that Michelle has plenty passion and deep love into this marriage. Otherwise, she wouldn't do it. Some people are just more reserved than the others, especially in public. If they show it, they'll show it privately. Does Michelle have to show her passion like Tom Cruise showed to Katie Holmes in order to prove to you that her love is real? What other people think doesn't matter to them. The key is they are happy and in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

Some people would know each other right away while others would take years and years. Even years together might not be enough to make them understand each other completely.

And I hope she wears a Vera Wang wedding dress.

She will. She said so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people would know each other right away while others would take years and years. Even years together might not be enough to make them understand each other completely.

That's such a lovely way to say it. Right off the bat, I can think of examples of both kinds of unions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ Michelle was so moved by this tribute that she was unable to take the ice afterward. She needed a few minutes to compose herself.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Michelle always struck me as an intensely private person .... she probably wouldn't reveal a lot of her emotions. Here, however, she does refer to "love at first sight" and the "connection" between her and Clay:

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.c...michelle-kwan-wants-a-vera-wang-wedding-gown/

attyfan, thanks for that additional link. What a nice companion piece to the engagement announcement.

"I never was one who believed in love at first sight, but I have to admit it happened for us. I felt there was a magnetic connection between us. I thought he was the one from the beginning."

As usual, Michelle trusts her own heart and mind, and, as always, I trust in her decisions for herself.

Congratulations to Michelle and Clay. I wish them a long and happy life together, filled with family, friends and work that they love.

janetfan, thanks for the link to the Jim McKay tribute. That's a favorite of mine.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a transcript of Jim McKay's beautiful tribute to Michelle:

She has been a constant

In a constellation of circling stars

Nearly giddy with light in the beginning

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

With a fire that ignited passions

Warmed hearts, burned images into our memories

The smile, the glow

The flair for the dramatic and the gentle

The flamboyant and the subtle

The spectacular and the soft

And always competing, for prominence in skating's crowded sky

Fourteen turns around the surface of the U.S. Nationals

Nine times the champion

In a galaxy filled with phenoms

With comets, shooting stars

The dominant fixture by which all others are measured

Can sometimes be passed by

But for so long, she's been there

The star for young skaters to wish upon

The brilliant point of reference for her peers to follow

Michelle Kwan

The approachable distant star

The supernova down to earth

And the ice skating world has been a brighter place

With her shining above it

And her is a quote from Michelle:

"It's always been a dream to win the Olympics, and it's always an honor to represent your country...I've learned that it's not about the gold. It's about the spirit of it. It's about the sport itself. I have no regrets. I tried my hardest, and if I don't win the gold, it's ok. I've had a great career, I've been very lucky.
This is a sport, and it's beautiful." --- Michelle Kwan

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight

She has been a constant

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

The smile, the glow

Nine times the champion

Michelle Kwan

"It's always been a dream to win the Olympics, and it's always an honor to represent your country...I've learned that it's not about the gold. It's about the spirit of it. It's about the sport itself. I have no regrets. I tried my hardest, and if I don't win the gold, it's ok. I've had a great career, I've been very lucky.
This is a sport, and it's beautiful." --- Michelle Kwan

damn it, you made me cry.

i was too lazy to click on the YT vid though i know of it, but black and white text affects me profoundly. maybe because i can hear jim mckay's voice reading it... thanks for that.

yes, i do think michelle is a practical, un-flighty woman. that doesn't mean there can't be love.

yes, i dread that political career she's about to embark on. but it appears my love for her skating might survive her politics, if i'm still this easily wrung when i reflect upon her years on our TV screen...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
attyfan, thanks for that additional link. What a nice companion piece to the engagement announcement.

As usual, Michelle trusts her own heart and mind, and, as always, I trust in her decisions for herself.

Congratulations to Michelle and Clay. I wish them a long and happy life together, filled with family, friends and work that they love.

janetfan, thanks for the link to the Jim McKay tribute. That's a favorite of mine.

Well that is very different sentiment, is it not? Still, though I love the skater and she's been a cool kid to watch, I agree with the poster her passion comes out over skating. I expect her to be nuts over her kids should they be so blessed.

And Bluebonnet, please look up the meaning of slander. ATR, Lots of people appreciate honesty. Thanks Blades, I read your posts for the same reason. You know your stuff, skating and you are very honest. Don't we have more than enough vapid treacle? MK could have fallen in love with many an LA hunk, surfer, athlete. She is clearly choosing a white house guy, a DC guy with I'll bet big political aspirations. The elders here are quite silent, as they surely see what I am saying. MK is not a saint, people, she is a champion figure skater, and she is an underdog after Nagano. I bet half this forum feels she was robbed in Nagano...hence came her popularity for being gracious with silver. (and how hard is that, really). Look at her for the complex person she likely is. Thank you Blades, and the people who raised a surprised honest an eye at her first statements. I have started several Kwan threads, as that is why we like her. If she fell all the time, we would not care. Honest appraisal is a good thing. This is not a fan fest thread where people are prohibited. As Mathman said a while back about her political aspirations, she will lose half her fan base lol. Does anyone know, are they Democrat, Republican? Independent would be safe.;)

As far as the dress, we should have a dress thread where we pick the dress. Look at different designers. But I think I know exactly the dress-very simple and like every bride is wearing. I'd like to see her go with Carolina Hererra or Monique Llulier (sp). Just for a surprise dress- something different. Wang's brides all look the same.

Now, it was love at sight, and he's the one. Very different. Now, is anyone expecting an invite for all our posts and threads for her? Including me? I hope whoever runs MK forum gets an invite. She should.

Last edited:

She has been a constant

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

The smile, the glow

Nine times the champion

Michelle Kwan

The star for young skaters to wish upon....what a gorgeous image. Thanks for posting this, Janetfan.

It's not often in any sport that such a luminary comes along, with a combination of talent, perseverance, focus, and charisma. I feel lucky that the one that showed up in this country, in this generation, was the one whose skating I have loved the best. (That doesn't always happen. The year Tara was the biggest thing in skating, I admired her but could not love her as I love Michelle, Kurt, Gordeyeva/Grinkov, Klimova/Ponomarenko.) Though she's chosen to leave the performance aspect of skating, Michelle surely knows that her fans continue to wish for the best for her, and I'm glad she's chosen to share her latest good news with us.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well that is very different sentiment, is it not? Still, though I love the skater and she's been a cool kid to watch, I agree with the poster her passion comes out over skating. I expect her to be nuts over her kids should they be so blessed.

Thanks Blades, I read your posts for the same reason. You know your stuff, skating and you are very honest. Don't we have more than enough vapid treacle? MK could have fallen in love with many an LA hunk, surfer, athlete. She is clearly choosing a white house guy, a DC guy with I'll bet big political aspirations. The elders here are quite silent, as they surely see what I am saying. MK is not a saint, people, she is a champion figure skater, and she is an underdog after Nagano. I bet half this forum feels she was robbed in Nagano...hence came her popularity for being gracious with silver. (and how hard is that, really). Look at her for the complex person she likely is. Thank you Blades, and the people who raised a surprised honest an eye at her first statements. I have started several Kwan threads, as that is why we like her. If she fell all the time, we would not care. Honest appraisal is a good thing. This is not a fan fest thread where people are prohibited. As Mathman said a while back about her political aspirations, she will lose half her fan base lol. Does anyone know, are they Democrat, Republican? Independent would be safe.;)

As far as the dress, we should have a dress thread where we pick the dress. Look at different designers. But I think I know exactly the dress-very simple and like every bride is wearing. I'd like to see her go with Carolina Hererra or Monique Llulier (sp). Just for a surprise dress- something different. Wang's brides all look the same.

Now, it was love at sight, and he's the one. Very different. Now, is anyone expecting an invite for all our posts and threads for her? Including me? I hope whoever runs MK forum gets an invite. She should.

You are entitled to your opinions....but seem determined to diminish the feelings of happiness Michelle's many fans feel over this next chapter in her life.

I think Michelle has led an exceptional life....been an exceptional athlete ...and a wonderful role model.

I for one expect even greater things from Michelle the diplomat. Beyond any doubt I think she is on the path to becoming a tremendous asset to US foreign diplomacy.

I know it is in her to be great .... and I think USA is fortunate to have a person of such high character as a future diplomat representing our country.

As far as Michelle Kwan goes....the best is yet to come. :yes:

Agreed, Janetfan! One of Michelle's great strengths is that her skating career, illustrious though it was, will not turn out to be the high point in her life. This in itself is an achievement.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Janetfan, I listened again and the last line is: "And the skating world will be a darker place without her shining above it." And he has certainly been proven right!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Janetfan, I listened again and the last line is: "And the skating world will be a darker place without her shining above it." And he has certainly been proven right!

I noticed there was a diffence between the transcript I posted and the clip.....

Either way....I like it.....:)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I said nothing bad about Michelle. Look up who started the threads about her skating upon her induction. I just wish the ubers would stop acting like you know her and she has been canonized. In effect, all I said was this LOOKS to be a stepping stone to the political career she wants. One of my proposals in life was about how I'd be an asset to his political (fledgling) career. He was 30, he said it was time. I was not looking to settle down. People marry for many reasons. Clay looks like a very good marriage material. Someone said Mk could do better, but only young women go for looks. She chose substance.

Her statements were clarified and she said she loved him. Which is the best reason to marry, after all. So drop it already, ok? If my opinion is deeper than yours, it doesn't make me wrong. Or does it? :rolleye:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well I find much of what you say Hogwash, Janetfan. At least I don't attack posters. I said nothing bad about Michelle. Look up who started the threads about her skating upon her induction. I just wish the ubers would stop acting like you know her and she has been canonized. In effect, all I said was this LOOKS to be a stepping stone to the political career she wants. One of my proposals in life was about how I'd be an asset to his political (fledgling) career. He was 30, he said it was time. I was not looking to settle down. People marry for many reasons. Clay looks like a very good marriage material. Someone said Mk could do better, but only young women go for looks. She chose substance.

Her statements were clarified and she said she loved him. Which is the best reason to marry, after all. So drop it already, ok? If my opinion is deeper than yours, it doesn't make me wrong. Or does it? :rolleye:

You want to tell me to drop it...?

Fine :)

I just disagrreed with you although I did make it clear you have the right to your opinions.

Whether you like it or not I also have the right to my opinions.

Anyway....most if us were happy to hear of Michelle's engagement.

You seem to have some twisted views about it...but to each their own. :unsure:

Last edited:
I bought the issue of People Magazine. It goes into more detail about the proposal (he apparently got down on both knees) and the fact that they met when both were competing for a White House fellowship, which he got and she didn't. Between this and the two truffles I had this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty good about life. (I also got a flu shot, which makes me feel accomplished but sore. The truffles were instead of aspirin. I didn't know what medicine would fight with the flu shot, but I knew that chocolate goes with everything.)

Go, Michelle!

janetfan

Match Penalty
damn it, you made me cry.

i was too lazy to click on the YT vid though i know of it, but black and white text affects me profoundly. maybe because i can hear jim mckay's voice reading it... thanks for that.

yes, i do think michelle is a practical, un-flighty woman. that doesn't mean there can't be love.

yes, i dread that political career she's about to embark on. but it appears my love for her skating might survive her politics, if i'm still this easily wrung when i reflect upon her years on our TV screen...

Interesting thoughts....but sometimes we either believe in someone or we don't.

I was recently taken aback to see Kristi in a Mitt Romney political ad.
But you know what...in Americia we are all entitled to our views.

I may disagree strongly with Kristi's politics...but that doesn't mean I like her any less or will ever forget the great skating memories I have of her.

I love Kristi.....not just for being an Olympic champion but for the way she has always handled herself - on and off the ice.

I feel the same way about Michelle.

But if the Kwan is a Bush/Romney girl.....I will be crushed but will still support her.

Last edited: