Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
True MM but their announcement words were devoid of love/passion. But it was easy and simple. Affection is there and it grows...he's a catch, as is she. Mazel Tof.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
but their announcement words were devoid of love/passion.

We've seen and read so many celebrity couples with love and passion. But many of them ended up splitting after a few years. What's the use of displaying affection in public?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Not to rain on the parade, but they do not talk lovey, dovey. MK thinks marriage is like a good pair team? LOL. So naive. Remember, its been a cloistered world from her tighter than tight family, to the top echelons and rich skating folk, to academia. They met only last year, and I wonder if kids are foremost on her and maybe his mind. Strange we never saw MK dating stories. Maybe MK ubers at the forum know more. I have a sense of this pairing from what they have said. Expect some surprise revelations further down the line of years from Michelle. I just have this feeling.....:

Strange post--not sure what you are trying to suggest?? Michelle is a private person. She's under no obligation to tell the world about every boyfriend she's had. It's fairly common knowledge (widely rumored, though never officially confirmed) that she previously dated Brad Ference, an NHL player, and Christian Anschutz, son of the owner of Walden Media. I think Michelle never publicly confirmed the relationships simply because she prefers to keep her personal life private. There's no need to share every detail with the public. And as to her and Clay having met only last year--so what? A year is plenty long enough to get to know someone and decide if he/she is right for you.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, I wonder if anything's going on in the skating world today...guess I'll check out Golden Skate...let's see now, Adam Rippon has a new coach...very interesting...I'll just scroll down a little...

...WHAT???!!!! :laugh:

I am going to write a song, "Michelle Pell, she's so swell." :love:

Haha! That was exactly my thought process when I checked out GS, only a couple of days later. (And without the song idea :) )

Anyway, congratulations to Michelle!

I think it's great that Michelle conducts her private life with such circumspection. She's under no obligation to hold up her feelings so we can evaluate them. Here's a girl who has lived in the spotlight since she was twelve: more than half her life. How lovely that, instead of getting into the habit of living her life in the press, she has instead carved out an area where the public cannot follow her. It shows that although she's got star quality to burn, she's not one of those unfortunate souls who MUST be the center of attention 24/7. Someone once said of Theodore Roosevelt (who was a wonderful man but had to be at the center of things) that he had to be "the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral." Thank goodness Michelle is happy to be off to herself for a good part of the time!

(But I hope we see photos of the wedding gown!)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it's great that Michelle conducts her private life with such circumspection. She's under no obligation to hold up her feelings so we can evaluate them. Here's a girl who has lived in the spotlight since she was twelve: more than half her life. How lovely that, instead of getting into the habit of living her life in the press, she has instead carved out an area where the public cannot follow her. It shows that although she's got star quality to burn, she's not one of those unfortunate souls who MUST be the center of attention 24/7. Someone once said of Theodore Roosevelt (who was a wonderful man but had to be at the center of things) that he had to be "the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral." Thank goodness Michelle is happy to be off to herself for a good part of the time!

(But I hope we see photos of the wedding gown!)

Interesting that you mentioned Teddy Roesevelt....who happened to be a skater himself :)

http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/biopictures.htm

"TR had become quite athletic by the time he reached Harvard. When skating with friends, Theodore was still out on the ice long after everyone else had quit from cold and fatigue."

Isn't there also an ice rink on Roosevelt Island?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I noticed too, that her quote in People was not very--for want of a better word--mushy. It sounded like her head was ruling her heart--they agreed on a lot of things, they thought they'd get along, they wanted to get married, so they got engaged. However, it seems keeping within her personality. She never struck me as the girly, kissy, huggy type.

I wish them the best of luck.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I noticed too, that her quote in People was not very--for want of a better word--mushy. It sounded like her head was ruling her heart--they agreed on a lot of things, they thought they'd get along, they wanted to get married, so they got engaged. However, it seems keeping within her personality. She never struck me as the girly, kissy, huggy type.

I wish them the best of luck.

You said it better Poodlpal. It was almost the words you would use in a business decision. She has chosen wisely, as he is very solid and his resume is incredible, and he will take MK where she seems to want to go in DC circles. The ring is LA big and the dress will be Vera perfect and I suspect a large star studded guest list and a big day, where she is the center of attention, which she misses. I think MK was honest when she said she loved the spotlight and the "glamour" of skating. What could fill that need? Not acting, but even better, a life in power circles of DC while forever keeping a hand in skating. She is super focused and next is babies. He seems he will make a solid, conservative father. She is rich, they are rich. I'll bet she had a checklist, and the time finally came if she is to have kids. She is super competitive in all areas of life. Very different than her sister and brother. Fame matters. I see sides of her due to my training that some may miss. I have no doubt it will be successful, but that is a different definition these days. I personally do not think a year is long and have known many who divorced and said they did not know the person or "what love is.". Love is sacrifice. Perhaps MK's parents have imbued that into her. I think she is smart to be the attractive one. Smart women do not look for cute, but "good father/provider" material. He opens doors in DC she would never otherwise walk through, famous skater does not cut it. Men marry when it is time, and she is a sexy looking but very yang woman. MK is a fierce winner who wants it all. Her sister wanted marriage young, the skating world she loved, children came young. MK is all about winning. Achievement and being famous. She is like a Hillary Clinton type woman, though not in that league of superior top of the heap intellect. But in skating, can you name a more driven woman? And same as in life. I say heart was second to head. Nothing wrong with that. Most people who marry are "in love" ie infatuated. There is attraction at first site but love takes years, sacrifice and compromise. Any married folks here deny that?MK is very young in life. Her only disappointment is having silver/bronze Olympic medals. He too is a big achiever. When kids, illness, tragedy strikes, couples move together into deeper love or split. These two very fortunate people are just beginning. But with tons of money, health, freinds in high places, they have many assets going in. And many I am sure noted the business like language with an amused brow. She is very smart and the timing is right. People find a mate these days when they are ready, and have accomplished educational goals. hence the 2011 meeting leading to a 2012 engagement. Are they soul mates? Only God would know. Again, cheers and expect a big elegant wedding with People photo spread.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You said it better Poodlpal. It was almost the words you would use in a business decision. She has chosen wisely, as he is very solid and his resume is incredible, and he will take MK where she seems to want to go in DC circles. The ring is LA big and the dress will be Vera perfect and I suspect a large star studded guest list and a big day, where she is the center of attention, which she misses. I think MK was honest when she said she loved the spotlight and the "glamour" of skating. What could fill that need? Not acting, but even better, a life in power circles of DC while forever keeping a hand in skating. She is super focused and next is babies. He seems he will make a solid, conservative father. She is rich, they are rich. I'll bet she had a checklist, and the time finally came if she is to have kids. She is super competitive in all areas of life. Very different than her sister and brother. Fame matters. I see sides of her due to my training that some may miss. I have no doubt it will be successful, but that is a different definition these days. I personally do not think a year is long and have known many who divorced and said they did not know the person or "what love is.". Love is sacrifice. Perhaps MK's parents have imbued that into her. I think she is smart to be the attractive one. Smart women do not look for cute, but "good father/provider" material. He opens doors in DC she would never otherwise walk through, famous skater does not cut it. Men marry when it is time, and she is a sexy looking but very yang woman. MK is a fierce winner who wants it all. Her sister wanted marriage young, the skating world she loved, children came young. MK is all about winning. Achievement and being famous. She is like a Hillary Clinton type woman, though not in that league of superior top of the heap intellect. But in skating, can you name a more driven woman? And same as in life. I say heart was second to head. Nothing wrong with that. Most people who marry are "in love" ie infatuated. There is attraction at first site but love takes years, sacrifice and compromise. Any married folks here deny that?MK is very young in life. Her only disappointment is having silver/bronze Olympic medals. He too is a big achiever. When kids, illness, tragedy strikes, couples move together into deeper love or split. These two very fortunate people are just beginning. But with tons of money, health, freinds in high places, they have many assets going in. And many I am sure noted the business like language with an amused brow. She is very smart and the timing is right. People find a mate these days when they are ready, and have accomplished educational goals. hence the 2011 meeting leading to a 2012 engagement. Are they soul mates? Only God would know. Again, cheers and expect a big elegant wedding with People photo spread.

^^^This sounds like sour grapes.

Who are you to judge Michelle Kwan's personal manner and ideas for her private life?

Quess what?! The high rate of marriage failure is largely caused by pure passion and passion alone. Love, yes, that's essential. You must have it, no doubt . But love alone cannot make a successful marriage.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to rain on the parade, but they do not talk lovey, dovey. MK thinks marriage is like a good pair team? LOL. So naive. Remember, its been a cloistered world from her tighter than tight family, to the top echelons and rich skating folk, to academia. They met only last year, and I wonder if kids are foremost on her and maybe his mind. Strange we never saw MK dating stories. Maybe MK ubers at the forum know more. I have a sense of this pairing from what they have said. Expect some surprise revelations further down the line of years from Michelle. I just have this feeling.....:think: anyway, is there a ring pic in people mag? Such a serious young man. She is truly a DC girl now! Expect a pearl choker and conservative clothes!

Gosh, what do you expect from Michelle--for her to say she's met her soulmate or some such? She doesn't have any obligation to express all of her feelings for public consumption. She hasn't been that sheltered--she was in school for four years at least since leaving skating. She has had several relationships that are known to her fans if not the public. She is not exactly Jennifer Aniston in terms of tabloid fodder. They have been dating for over a year. Who says long dating relationships lead to stronger marriage? Commitment is what makes a lasting marriage. You can have commitment after a few months. I know someone whose parents were married for 75 years and got married after only a few weeks! This is a happy occasion for Michelle and while you are not raining on her parade, you are raining on ours.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But in skating, can you name a more driven woman? And same as in life. I say heart was second to head.

Yes. Ashley Wagner. More driven but with much less success. And Tara Lipinski was pretty driven, too.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Michelle. While I would agree that she's very driven, I don't think she's very passionate about much when she talks unless it's skating. I don't think anyone knows how or why someone finds their soulmate. It's between them. She's also 30 (I think) years old and has been alot of places and done alot of things in her life and she's probably ready to settle down. I wish her all the luck in the world with her marraige. And I hope she wears a Vera Wang wedding dress.

Goodness me, yes. Tara was like a little jet engine. She's probably the best example of all.

It seems to me that Michelle isn't just driven. From what I see, she's pretty balanced. She deals with victory and defeat with equanimity, or at least so it seems, and she's willing to try her hand at endeavors where she doesn't necessarily end up at the top of the heap. I love that she went after an academically substantial field of study, where I'm sure she wasn't at the head of her class. Her undergrad career also shows a certain looseness; as she cheerfully said in a speech, she attended college "on the ten-year plan." She certainly has drive--she'd have to--but she's not consumed by it, I think.

Jenaj, you know someone whose parents were married 75 years? That is so cool. I guess it's a bit late for Michelle to have that in her future (she'd have to live to be 107), but I hope she and Clay have a good length of years, and that they spend them together in health and happiness.

Last edited: