Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope whoever Michelle marries and whatever she chooses to do she is happy. I am a little disappointed that someone would judge her future husband (they are not married yet as I understand) based on looks. Sadly we cannot all be aesthetically pleasing and some of us have health issues and issues beyond our control. I am sure Michelle and her beauty are helped by that she is an American skating star though to be fair, if she was not so loved and adored she may not even be consider pretty ...I am just saying....

Admittedly they do have good credentials or bones so to speak to be politicians with her background, fame, education and even his though not as well known. Perfect - educated, talented, well connected individuals. They are very blessed and fortunate.

"She can do better"? Not by much! This young guy has accomplished more than most of us will in a lifetime. Speaks three languages besides English, and seems to use them for doing good in the world. Has served his country in the Coast Guard and has a law degree to boot. All this before the age of thirty. Instead, I suppose Michelle could have chosen some fashion model or movie star with a gorgeous face and a personal trainer. Personally, I'm glad she didn't.

Thanks for the great article about Pell Grants. I side with the Pell family on this one.

Actually, our young Mr. Pell doesn't need a personal trainer to keep fit -- he has the Coast Guard. :) For some reason, the Coast Guard JAGs (officers who are lawyers serving in the Coast Guard legal division, mostly dealing with cases of maritime law) are known for having an obsession with personal fitness. He is probably right up there with Michelle in this regard. :)

His family is also rich -- the better to devote their lives to good works. :yes: Pell's ancestors include a slew of Senators and Congressmen, including the Vice President of the U.S. under President Polk, plus they are heirs to a number of fortunes (a tobacco fortune from long ago, the A&P supermarkets fortune, and others). He is also descended from the brilliant 17th century number theorist John Pell (see "Pell's Equation. :) )

I feel ridiculously like a proud aunt whose niece has found the right guy. Even a mathematician in the family! Definitely worthy of Our Michelle.

The nice thing is how much he seems to have done on his own steam already. This is not a chap who sits around. Michelle's choice also shows what she values in life. Someone at her level of fame and achievement would meet a lot of glamorous people, and she's chosen someone who is a real worker bee.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
His family is also rich -- the better to devote their lives to good works. :yes: Pell's ancestors include a slew of Senators and Congressmen, including the Vice President of the U.S. under President Polk, plus they are heirs to a number of fortunes (a tobacco fortune from long ago, the A&P supermarkets fortune, and others). He is also descended from the brilliant 17th century number theorist John Pell (see "Pell's Equation. :) )

Nice to see they have updated the 21st century version of Pell's Equation in bringing one Michelle Kwan to the family :p

Fantastic news, utterly delighted for Michelle to find a great partner who can devote to public services together! Think of all the great things they can accomplish together in the future! Just wow!! Yipeeee!! :hb:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I am so happy for Michelle!! Wonderful news. Clay sounds like a worthy match for her in every way. She's chosen someone with real substance and skills to be her partner in life--proving yet again what a smart and special person she is herself. I wish them every happiness. (And it will be interesting to see if either of them ever runs for elected office! Maybe both of them will!)

emma

Record Breaker
Well, I wonder if anything's going on in the skating world today...guess I'll check out Golden Skate...let's see now, Adam Rippon has a new coach...very interesting...I'll just scroll down a little...

...WHAT???!!!! :laugh:
." :love:

Hahahahaha! But this is exactly what happened to me!!! Heartfelt congrats to Michelle and wishing her and family all the very, very best! (hope we get to see wedding pictures too :) )

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Mr. Pell very likely speaks better Chinese than Michelle does.:) Michelle can only speak a little Cantonese which is a dialect of HongKong and GuangDong province of China, not an official language.

cornell08

Final Flight
I don't know if this was mentioned yet but one things for sure: they will have gorgeous kids haha

Mr. Pell very likely speaks better Chinese than Michelle does.:) Michelle can only speak a little Cantonese which is a dialect of HongKong and GuangDong province of China, not an official language.

Yeah, the thought gave me a smile when I saw that he speaks fluent "Chinese," by which I assumed Mandarin. I think Michelle has spoken Cantonese at home, especially with her grandparent(s) (and she may be fluent in it conversationally, but that won't help her in most of China). Because of her international aspirations, she's been studying Mandarin for some years now, though. I don't know how fluent she's become, and almost certainly he's out ahead of her on this! Fortunately, written Chinese is the same in both Cantonese and Mandarin, because the writing system is ideograms, not letters, so the words aren't spelled out syllabically. So she didn't have to start from scratch there.

Golly, this announcement is making me happy.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Fortunately, written Chinese is the same in both Cantonese and Mandarin, because the writing system is ideograms, not letters, so the words aren't spelled out syllabically. So she didn't have to start from scratch there.

Not really. People in HongKong, Taiwan (By the way, Taiwan uses Mandarin.), Singapore, and most Chinese communities around the world use traditional way in writing. The grammars are the same but the words are very complicated. The mainland of China including GuangDong province use simplified Chinese in writing. People in any areas can read and understand eachothers in vast majority cases but might not know how to write in the other way.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Congratulations, Michelle and Clay!

Thanks to this guy's grandfather, I was able to afford a UC education.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
congrats to Kwan, wishing the best to her
hope to see many future figure skater children ? :)

Not really. People in HongKong, Taiwan (By the way, Taiwan uses Mandarin.), Singapore, and most Chinese communities around the world use traditional way in writing. The grammers are the same but the words are very complicated. The mainland of China including GuangDong province use simplified Chinese in writing. People in any areas can read and understand eachothers in vast majority cases but might not know how to write in the other way.

Thanks for the correction, Bluebonnet. (Whoops! Sorry for the inaccuracy.) And thanks for the clear explanation.

Blue Dog, your statement is probably being repeated with minimal variations throughout skating fandom this morning. I can only hope that this young man does a fraction of the good his grandfather did (and helped us all to do, because it's taxpayer money that funds the program). What a team he and Michelle could make in the future.

heyang

Record Breaker
i saw some picture of her man.. he's not good looking at all, she can do better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While he's not movie star gorgeous, I think many would think he's nice looking if not handsome.

Jo1

Rinkside
Also very smart and athletic.:)

I'm so very happy for you Michelle!!!! I've watched you since you were 15 and love what you did for skating and your political and service jobs. I wish you all the happiness life has to offer!!! Congratulations and have a wonderful life!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While he's not movie star gorgeous, I think many would think he's nice looking if not handsome.

Agree. I think he is a fine looking young man.