Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine) | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

I'm still getting dizzy from imagining the roller coaster wedding!

Over on FSU there's (no surprise) a thread about this topic, and they've linked to a lot of interesting articles, notably a few from Rhode Island. Some nice photos are in the links.

One of the posters there said (I'm paraphrasing) that what makes him/her especially happy is seeing a skater move on to equally exciting accomplishments after an Olympic-eligible career. That's the way I feel also. Every time I see a skater (even if it's not one I've followed) graduate from college, embark on an interesting career, or contribute to skating as a pro, a coach, or a choreographer, it lifts my spirits. You can imagine how I feel to see one of my favorite skaters, Michelle, running full speed ahead through college, grad school, and an exciting new career, and now finding The Guy. (And him finding her!) May they live long and prosper, as they would say on Star Trek.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
With MK's partnership with Disney when she was skating, she'd be a perfect candidate for a Disney Wedding... If I could be talked out of wanting a June wedding (if and when I ever get a guy) and could get a fall or winter wedding I'd totally make it a Disney one! (if to only have "Frank's" do the planning.) - http://www.dvarndtblog.com/

Math, I had read that article last week and just loved it. Thanks for posting it here. My mother's generation were the ones who started the college tradition in my family. The aunts went to public colleges, and Mom earned a state scholarship and became the first one to go away to school. They were too early for Pell grants, but their chance came from some form of public support. They repaid it amply by the productive lives they led.

Does Clay Pell realize that his grandfather has become well known again because of his own new position as an adopted member of the skating world?

Skateluvr, through various circuitous links I am acquainted with a guy who works in the financial industry. He is a fervent Democrat. So you can't make generalizations, I promise you. People are often a lot more layered and complex and paradoxical than one would think at first glance.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
With MK's partnership with Disney when she was skating, she'd be a perfect candidate for a Disney Wedding... If I could be talked out of wanting a June wedding (if and when I ever get a guy) and could get a fall or winter wedding I'd totally make it a Disney one! (if to only have "Frank's" do the planning.) - http://www.dvarndtblog.com/

Great idea, Toni. You are young, and am I wrong...I thought there was a higher pop of men in Alaska? Is that a myth like the jobs thing you mentioned? Who is Frank? Something to do with Disney? Well, we would all be happy for you as we "know" you at least on GS. I doubt MK would want a Disney themed wedding. maybe if she ran off at 16. I think it will be very big and elegant, with many skating stars. Or maybe small and elegant with just her family and close friends. I think it should have a beautiful ice sculpture in the middle of the champagne fountain, of a beautiful butterfly. And I favor pink roses, and star gazer lillies instead of the white flowers they are all using. I like kate (Winsor/Wales) dress for elegant yet traditional, but I expect MK to have tiny straps or strapless. I don't think anyone posted a guess the dress in the cafe thread. It would be fun, I thought. 200 dresses including vera's to choose from. I wish I could see Alaska. I remember those 'AlaskanMen' calendars on Oprah decades ago. Has that changed too?

heyang

Record Breaker
Kwanatic has posted they are Republicans. I shall post Sasha's best from now own. I suppose one might have guessed.

You'd be surprised by who considers themselves a Democrat vs Republican. I have a large # of friends who vote Republican. Some of them think I'm a rabid Democrat, but I just have Democratic party leanings - I always consider voting for other candidates. This 2 party political system is not the best thing for our country right now - some of our representatives are playing politics for their party, instead of representing.

Sorry for the tangent.

Based on MK's comments, I'd be stunned if she didn't go with Vera Wang bridal. I just hope that Vera pulls off something unique for MK.

Since Michele also represents Royal Caribbean, she could decide on a special wedding cruise.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Since Michele also represents Royal Caribbean, she could decide on a special wedding cruise.

Then it could be Shrek themed! ;)

ETA - or just dreamworks... the Minions (Despicable Me) could be the flower girl/ring bearer :laugh:

Last edited:
OK, so I just "unapproved" my own post for being too political. :) Lets's take all that to the Politics Folder and stick to the topic (I tell myself ;) ).

By the way, if you are saying, "What politics folder?" you have to have 100 posts to see it. :)

Go Michelle!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Toni, are you becoming an MK fan? This late in life, LOL? And I am truly interested in the population demographics. It does seem if Alaska had more men, the stream of ladies would have leveled it off. But perhaps like Fla or CA or Arizona, many people go there (for the weather in past eras-though they are now leaving for same reason). But a lot of Alaska is still wild and I imagine many people find the winters depressing. SAD affects many people and I can imagine many who re-locate find the climate too cold, or the days too short. It looks so beautiful there, but such wild beauty comes with a high price, i suspect.

Anyway, I hope people have a bit of fun with the cafe thread I started, for 'pick a dress.' I was having fun looking at dresses she might like based on her fashion on Red Carpet and her skating dresses. It would be fun to see he go haute couture and surprise me. I was surprised to see how crazy Vera gets in those wedding dresses on the catwalk. It made me want to feed the girls as all of them looked starved as can be.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Can you imagine her guest list?

I very much doubt that it will be big. It might just like Chelsea Clinton's wedding - around 300 guests. It'll probably just relatives and close friends. Mr. Pell family side might have an extended list of relatives.:)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I very much doubt that it will be big. It might just like Chelsea Clinton's wedding - around 300 guests. It'll probably just relatives and close friends. Mr. Pell family side might have an extended list of relatives.:)

perhaps I'm just a small town girl and so it's a culture thing, but 300 is not a small wedding IMO.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off-topic:
Scott Hamilton was among the Olympians whose support for Romney was showcased at last month's GOP convention.
(Sorry if I missed any discussion of that on a GS thread at the time.)

It's nice to know that it isn't just skate fans who like Michelle. I like all the details the writer mentions about what makes Michelle so special, mainly her perseverance. In these days of short attention spans, that's one of the traits I have most valued in Michelle (and in anyone else I spot it in).