Daw Aung San Suu Kyi | Golden Skate

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

janetfan

Match Penalty
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is a woman of such great dignity - a hero and inspiration to people around the world.

Here she is in Washington DC this week receiving the Congressional Gold medal awarded to her back in 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgkkl485R7E

In her Nobel acceptance speech and many other speeches there is a recurring theme of "reconciliation" which only makes her voice all the more powerful.

MSNBC's Alex Wagner gave a nice tribute to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi (Alex is half Burmese) as did Senator John McCain who called her "my hero."

Last edited:
I'm sorry I missed this thread yesterday, Janetfan. Suu Kyi is one of my heroes as well. I know that McCain has long been a supporter of hers for years, and in his book about character, he spotlighted her. She is one of the world's treasures. I know that leaders who urge anger often have an easier time finding followers, because (as I know from my own temptations) anger is a natural reaction to being wronged. But people such as Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Desmond Tutu, and Martin Luther King are the true radicals. Their way is harder to follow but offers far more rewards.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm sorry I missed this thread yesterday, Janetfan. Suu Kyi is one of my heroes as well. I know that McCain has long been a supporter of hers for years, and in his book about character, he spotlighted her. She is one of the world's treasures. I know that leaders who urge anger often have an easier time finding followers, because (as I know from my own temptations) anger is a natural reaction to being wronged. But people such as Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Desmond Tutu, and Martin Luther King are the true radicals. Their way is harder to follow but offers far more rewards.

I always have such mixed feelings about Senator McCain but here he is at his best introducing Aung San Suu Kyi at a dinner held in her honor.

Imagine that after meeting her once years ago McCain was so moved that he hung her picture in his senate office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0HsIsQC5Uk

Quite a nice speech.

I wish this remarkable Lady was able to stick around Washington for a while as she seems to have an extraordinarly positive effect on our politicians.

Last edited: