When did you become a skating fan? | Golden Skate

When did you become a skating fan?

gkelly

Record Breaker
(Mods, please move this to the Polls forum if appropriate. I'm afraid I don't know any way to ask several questions anonymously)

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get a sense of trends in when, where, and how Golden Skate posters became skating fans. Please answer as many of the questions as appropriate

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport?

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons?

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan?

4. Would you consider your current level of fandom
a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?

7. Which of the following is your favorite format to watch skating?
a. shows that feature costumes, plots or themes, and group numbers
b. shows that feature current and former elite medal winners
c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds
g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
My answers:

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?

early 1970s

I'm going to say 1991, although I was a casual fan in the 70s

Yes

Before

d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?
higher

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?
not really -- it's still very high, but my focus is more local; 1994-99 was the period when I was more likely to travel to watch elite events, but the reasons I don't any more have more to do with changes in my personal life than changes in the sport

f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds

8. What country do you live in?
United States

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Ohhh gkelly these kind of surveys are fun! :)

Late 1990's

Yes

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan
After

About the same

Just before the 2010 Olympics...I became the "skating guru" among my group of casual Olympic-watching friends :laugh:

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now
United States

clairecloutier

Final Flight

1976. My parents watched Olympic figure skating, and i have vague memories of seeing Dorothy Hamill on TV at the Innsbruck games. (i would have been 7.)

1991. I was drawn in by the Yamaguchi/Harding battle at Nationals. Then i watched 1991 Worlds, and was hooked from then on!

Yes.

Both. I originally took skating lessons as a kid, from about ages 8-10. I then took lessons as an adult from 1996-2000 and learned steps, spins, and basic single jumps up through flip. Currently I'm hoping to start lessons again soon--now with my 3-year-old daughters! :)

a. Casual (i'll watch on tv or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. Interested (i'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
c. Serious (i will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and i will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
d. Obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at golden skate and elsewhere)

Pretty serious. I watch all competitive skating available on TV. We pay $10-$15 extra a month in cable because i insist on having Universal Sports for the skating. I typically check Goldenskate and IceNetwork several times a day to get the latest news. I will spend money to attend live skating events in my area, especially competitions, when available. I have not yet traveled specifically for skating, but for the first time this year, i did seriously think about going to 2013 Worlds because it's within driving distance. Eventually we decided it was too expensive. But i do intend to travel to Worlds at some point within the next 10 years. I haven't yet gotten into watching skating online with IceNetwork's Season Pass but probably will within the next year or so. I've also read most of the skating books out there, my favorite being The Second Mark. I haven't yet spent much time poring over ISU rules documents, but maybe in the future.

Higher. I know a lot more than I did in 1991 and pay attention to things I wasn't even aware of back then, such as international senior B events and summer club competitions.

My interest has been pretty consistent. I find that even when i'm not enjoying one of the disciplines all that much, usually i'll just pay more attention to the other ones. (For example, 1995-1997 was sort of a low period in pairs, but amazing in ladies.)

A. Shows that feature costumes, plots or themes, and group numbers
b. Shows that feature current and former elite medal winners
c. Professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
d. Elite competition (olympics, worlds, grand prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
e. All international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
f. All levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to olympics/worlds
g. Primarily local competitions and shows -- i'd rather watch kids i know than elite level strangers

d. Elite international competition. Worlds is my favorite event. I also love the whole senior Grand Prix series. Overall I much prefer competitions to shows. Shows can be fun and enjoyable, and sometimes surprising in the level of artistry achieved, but they're so spotty in quality, and I really miss the technical difficulty. So far, though, I just watch the mainstream competitions, and haven't gotten into watching other countries' nationals or anything like that. Also, unlike others on the board, I haven't yet gotten into watching junior Grand Prix events online.

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now[/quote]

USA.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

early 1960's

Not formaly - I learned from mother and father.

Doesn't quite apply, but I began skating at age 5 so I skated before I became a fan

very interested and very concerned about the future of skating in USA

It is higher in some areas and lower in other areas....for instance I don't care as much about Pairs since the scoring system changed - but I like Ice Dancng better now than under the old system.

My interest level was huge between '68 and '72 and that is when I went to my first Live events... but over the years interest has gone up and down and my interest does tend to peak in Olympic seasons.

But I also find the year after Olympics pretty interesting and the year preceeding the Olympics.

Live is the best but due to various circumstances I primarily watch on TV and internet these days.

My favorite events are the elite competitions. I did used to watch Pro skating and cheesefests but that is no longer much of an option. Disson shows seem feeble

United States

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I guess when I moved to the US in the early 1990s.

Followed it on and off in the 1990s, became really into skating when I caught 1999 Euros on TV. I was hooked.

Yes. Suffice to say that Carolina Kostner has nothing to fear from me.

Before I got into it more seriously.

a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
Somewhere between B and C.

Huh? I’m more interested now than I was in the 1990s, if that’s what you meant.

2008-9. I had gotten involved in forums, Eurosport was carrying the GP for the first time in like ever, I had become interested in ice dance again and I was borderline obsessed at times. My interest began to decline around the time of 2009 Worlds and is relatively low at the moment.

c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers
Competitive international skating at the senior level. Less interested in Nationals and local stuff of any kind and not a huge fan of shows. OTOH, they do pay the bills for the skaters...

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now.
I did, but I prefer to leave people guessing ;) Someplace where Eurosport is available, obviously...

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sometime in the early 90's. I can't actually remember a time when I wasn't aware of it.

Around 1995/1996 when I started skating

Yes I'm a gold level test skater and a coach.

They more or less occurred simultaneously

Overall lower because I've got so many other things going on in my life currently. I still follow the sport and I keep up to date with rule changes and such, but it's now more as a professional and less as a fan.

My interest was highest in High School. Skating was a way to stand out from all the other dancers.

Canada

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Probably 2008.

Yes

Before

A melange of b, c, and d.

Higher

Not really. I can see my interest decreasing from now

D. Senior international competitions mainly.

Canada

LeReveur

On the Ice
(Mods, please move this to the Polls forum if appropriate. I'm afraid I don't know any way to ask several questions anonymously)

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get a sense of trends in when, where, and how Golden Skate posters became skating fans. Please answer as many of the questions as appropriate

Around 1985
Yes, but way back when I was 3 or 4 or 5!!!
Before.
b
Well, I think I enjoyed the ladies' discipline more back in 1991, but overall, with easy access to skating videos and information on the internet any day of the month, I might rate my current level of interest as higher.
Possibly between 1994 and late 1996, when there was TONS of skating on American TV.
c and d, though there isn't much of c anymore
I live outside of the U.S. for work reasons and have lived in multiple countries between questions 1-2 and now.

emma

Record Breaker
(mods, please move this to the polls forum if appropriate. I'm afraid i don't know any way to ask several questions anonymously)

just out of curiosity, i'd like to get a sense of trends in when, where, and how golden skate posters became skating fans. Please answer as many of the questions as appropriate

1976 - olympics

Basically at the same time - i was a young child

Yes
Way after - i skated as a kid receiving ice-skates almost every year for christmas for awhile; but didn't know about edges and skated on a pond spending most of the time shoveling off snow and playing a version of hockey and skate fast as possible into snow banks. I took a few years of lessons as an adult. Would continue if time and money permitted.

a. Casual (i'll watch on tv or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. Interested (i'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
c. Serious (i will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and i will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
d. Obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at golden skate and elsewhere)

obsessed. I've not gone to comps live - money is a factor, but time a bigger one for me. I would enjoy it immensely.

I think it is higher now as i can read about skating, or participate in GS or other forum discussions, or watch icenetwork on demand or youtube videos. I try to follow doris' posts on ice dancing to learn more, for example, and sometimes try to read through the isu rule book, but again...my biggest constraint is time.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When? I think in the last decade it is high because of all the fairly accessible resources via internet.

In the 90's, i had less access to watching comps and typically watched us nationals, worlds, and olympics (or the portions you could view on us tv)....i loved those moments and longed for them in between, but i wasn't plugged into skating year round in the way i am now via internet.

A. Shows that feature costumes, plots or themes, and group numbers
b. Shows that feature current and former elite medal winners
c. Professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
d. Elite competition (olympics, worlds, grand prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
e. All international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
f. All levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to olympics/worlds
g. Primarily local competitions and shows -- i'd rather watch kids i know than elite level strangers

so 'd', followed by 'e' i think - 'f' would be up there if time permitted as would pro-ams. I'm not really into theater on ice or simply show programs although when a favorite is skating, i could be tempted. I just prefer comps.

The U.S.

edits to fix typos and last answer that fell outside the quote

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I LOVE stuff like this! It's more my speed! :rock:

1988. I was three. This story is not a new one on here so no need to go into it again ;)

1989. Disney on Ice with guest star Scott Hamilton.

Nope, I have horrible balance and my first time on skates was pretty much my last.

Oh gosh, Somewhere between interested and serious. I was more obsessed when I was in college and travelled to nationals a few times, but it's just too expensive and I can spend that money on other vacations and SAVE money.

higher, I guess. when I was little I only watched stuff that had Scott Hamilton in it. :biggrin:

Yup, 2000-2008.

Back when I was all about shows, then I was all about competition... So a healthy combo of both I suppose.

USA

evangeline

Record Breaker
Around 1998--my earliest memories are of Kwan vs Lipinski

Yes

Before. I took years of skating lessons but I didn't start becoming a fan until after I quit skating.

Mix of B, C, and D.

Higher? Not exactly sure what this question is asking.

Yes. Probably 2010.

D - elite competition.

The US. And yes, I have moved since questions 1 and 2.

Cherryy

On the Ice
1. I knew that there was a sport called figure skating since I was a little child, but I understood that people actually compete and take it seriously around 2004.

2. I became a fan in the January of 2011 so I still have a lot to learn.

3. Yes, I go skating twice a week on group lessons with a coach. It came along with becoming a figure skating fan. One was increasing the other level of interest.

4. My level of fandom is quite big. I wath videos every day and I easily memorize everything I watch, so I can exactly tell you what certain figure skater skated to, what's his personal best, what titles did he win etc. I don't attend live shows and competitions simply because there are almost none near my town and I'm still pretty young, so parents wouldn't even let me go watch these competitions. Going abroad is impossible right now. But still - I consider myself an obsessed person. I jump off-ice in my house all the time. Seriously, all the time :laugh:

5. I've been a fan for 1,5 year so my level of interest hasn't changed much. Maybe it's a bit bigger, but since the very begining it was quite huge.

6. No. I'm waiting for upcoming seasons and Sochi.

7. I love elite competitions including grand prix and all junior competitions. In my case it's the discipline that matters. I can watch even novice and juvenile ladies, but I'm totally not into ice dancing, so I know only about 5-6 teams. It would be another interesting question to ask - what's your favourite discipline. I also enjoy wathcing shows that feature current and former elite medal winners and some lower ranked international events.

8. I live in Poland (eastern Europe). The only skaters you can recognize from here are Zuzanna Szwed, Anna Rechnio, Dorota Zagórska & Mariusz Siudek and Grzegorz Filipowski of course. Your best competitors right now are Aleksandra Kamieniecki - 33rd place at junior worlds and Maciej Cieplucha - 3rd in preliminary round at worlds. Yeah, that indicates what is the level of figure skating where I live :bang:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I always watched it during the Winter Olympics (starting with Peggy Fleming in 1968. Probably knew about it as an Olympic sport as of 1964.

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport? - diehard fan during the Calgary Olympics - 1988 - The "Battle of the Brians" and Midori ito did it for me!

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons? a few, hope to get back to it eventually. We skate recreationally.

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan? after

I would say "c" - serious. Some of my family members might say "obsessed!"

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? probably higher

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When? Well, loved the rivalry between Todd & Elvis during the 1990's/early 2000's and I regret that I didn't follow the rivalry between Brian B. & Brian O. between 1984-1988.

a, c, d, e, f, g

USA

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I have a vague memory of the 2002 Winter Olympics

Worlds 2007 was the first competition I followed seriously on TV.
It was also about that time I got my first own laptop, so I wasn't too dependent of figure skating on TV (or lack thereof)

No, never had the opportunity, unfortunately

d. obsessed
Much of my spare time is used on watching/seeking figure skating online/TV, forums and writing my danish figure skating blog Sequins Galore

Much higher

No, it's still rising

d. elite competition

I like the watching difficult elements! Biting your nails in nervousness before a skater takes the ice the BEST.

Denmark

deedee1

Record Breaker
What a wonderful thread! Thank you so much, gkelly!!!
It's so nice to know how and when other GS members became a fan of this beautiful sport, also very educative to me how they see and value figure skating. But more interesting to know for me is...at what point they became an 'obsessed' fan! :laugh:

I don't remember well but late 1970's, I guess.

In 1980 at NHK Trophy, when I saw Midori Ito a tiny jumping bean on TV!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLtdloG-_So&feature=related

No, never. In this regard, all competitive skaters in the world, at any countries, any levels and any ages win tons of my respect and love, and rightfully so! :yes:

d. obsessed, of course :biggrin:

Until 2001-2002 SLC Olympic season and the famous battle btwn Evgeni/Alexei (in other words, Mishin/Tarasova), I was just a casual fan only to watch Olympic games and occasionally watch NHK Trophy when aired on TV. And Russian male skaters, such as Victor P, Urmy, and Ilia stole my heart every four years. :love:
But at Grand Prix Final and at SLC that year, Alexei simply took my breath away and I was sort of a serious fan since then. I had another crash on a skater of my own country at Skate America 2005...you know the rest of my story. ;)

Way way higher

From 2005-06 season to 2009-2010 season.

Japan

R.D.

Record Breaker

1994, with the Tonya/Nancy hullabaloo (I was quite young at the time)

[edited] 2002, immediately following the Olympics. I did watch in '98, but although I was caught up in the hype, it wasn't enough to get me to pay attention to the sport in general

No

B, maybe with a tiny bit of C mixed in on occasion (partly only because I have spent good money to see many shows and have tried to take advantage of opportunities to meet skaters) But I typically do not go out of my way (i.e. if it's not in my neck of the woods), and I could care less about the nuances of the scoring system

Lower, definitely.

Have to say my interest was highest the two years following SLC. The online community, the drama was like a drug almost. Couldn't get enough of it. It has fallen a good bit since then, but I still try to stay involved

Easy. D. I just don't find skating exciting to watch below the elite level. The whole point is to make these incredible tricks look easy and only the best are able to accomplish that.

USA

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

probably in 1988 Olympics.

I've instently become a fan.

Never had a chance. I took my mother's skates and skated in a frozen pond. Learned my skating lessons from friends. And obsessed with skating.

a,b, and d.

Much higher.

Brian Boitano brought me in. On and off for a while until I've found Alexei Yagudin. Then I've never really left figure skating. My all time high must be now when I'm spending a considerable time a day reading and posting on a skating forum.:laugh:

d.

Canada and USA.

Last edited:
In winter of 1998. Articles were pouring in my hometown newspaper about Michelle Kwan, who was injured but still the favorite to win the OGM. I was a fourth grader ;)

In summer of 2009.

Nope, I barely stand on ice with blades:( But I want to, someday.

Similar!

Vancouver Olympics/that season.

e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations)

USA, and spent a year in Japan for study abroad program which was really exciting since there were so many easy accesses to figure skating.