State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

krenseby

Final Flight
Yes, it's obviously too early to judge, but I remember that last year she skated good at Glacier Falls, then she was 3rd in the SP at SA and then she skated a horrible FS (because of her nerves, I guess), which pulled her down. Now, she received low scores at the Hidden Valley Open in July and, here, both her SP and FS have been a disaster... I really hope she can recover from this and skate well in the GP... (And, please Caroline, don't change your coach AGAIN!! Oppergard is perfect for you...)

One thing that I noticed is that she had trouble executing a usually reliable jump for her - the 3L. She under-rotated it in the LP and I think she may have landed it badly in the SP too (not sure though.) Now, when a skater's best jump is in missing in action, that is proof enough that for whatever reason the skater is not in competitive shape.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
One thing that I noticed is that she had trouble executing a usually reliable jump for her - the 3L. She under-rotated it in the LP and I think she may have landed it badly in the SP too (not sure though.) Now, when a skater's best jump is in missing in action, that is proof enough that for whatever reason the skater is not in competitive shape.

Exactly. Not only were there the three falls, inability to complete triples, but her spins were lower levels than usual for her, maybe also the step sequences. Low PCS as well, though with that many mistakes, obviously the PCS would be affected. I would have thought that at USFSA Champs Camp several weeks ago, she would have shown her programs and would have been deemed in decent enough shape to go, or been pulled from the competition. She's got her work cut out for her if she doesn't want to embarrass herself again at Skate Canada.

b-man

Final Flight
Caroline also started slow last year with a 140 at Skate America, but finished the year with 170+ scores at Nationals and a podium at 4CC. If a 125 is an embarassment, then what is a 103 score which Flatt, a Skate America entrant, obtained recently at a club competition.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Caroline also started slow last year with a 140 at Skate America, but finished the year with 170+ scores at Nationals and a podium at 4CC. If a 125 is an embarassment, then what is a 103 score which Flatt, a Skate America entrant, obtained recently at a club competition.

Could be lots of reasons for Rachael's low score.
She could have just been coming off vacation and wanted to get back on the ice at a low profile summer event.

Maybe she was trying out a new program and left out some of the more difficult elements.
I don't see much comparison to a summer club event and an ISU Intl senior event.

I haven't seen Caroline's skates from Nebelhorn and don't feel any need to - just hope she does better next time.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I feel that watching Caroline programs at nebelhorn could help us to understand why did she skate so badly, I would especially like to see her 3Lo and 3F, they are usually strong jumps for her: did she miss them completely or just made mistakes in the landings? And I would like to watch her spins, too, why did they receive so low scores?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I feel that watching Caroline programs at nebelhorn could help us to understand why did she skate so badly, I would especially like to see her 3Lo and 3F, they are usually strong jumps for her: did she miss them completely or just made mistakes in the landings? And I would like to watch her spins, too, why did they receive so low scores?

Of course you are right.........but sometimes there are things I would rather not understand....or see.

I never watched Alissa's Worlds LP from last season....and don't have any plans to.

But that's just me.....:)

krenseby

Final Flight

Well, I don't want to sound the alarm or anything, but this is a rather grave situation for her career. Jump technique is one thing, and she has been working on it. However, if she is having stamina/physical fitness issues that are dragging down her skating to the extent that she can't stroke, jump, and spin the way she needs to, that's a factor that's not easy to adjust for. While many of us have been supportive of her skating, I think we would also be understanding had she decided to quit.

I am not saying she should or she will. I am just pointing out that stamina/physical fitness issues that prevent a skater from skating well are serious enough that they may decide they can't go on and would rather leave the sport. Of course, we don't really know the whole story, but it's quite clear that the lutzes, flips, and loops that Caroline was able to land at Nationals and 4CC are missing in action for her now. And she must be as frustrated as anyone about it. And yeah, a major part of her skating story is not just a struggle with poor technique, but also a struggle with adjusting and managing her developing/changing body so that she can skate well. Of course, she is not the only one. I think the Russian girls, Sotnikova and now Tuktamysheva, have had to deal with growth spurts as well, although the effect on their skating was minor compared to Caroline's. But still there. Mirai must have dealt with it too at some point.

brightphoton

Medalist
But Caroline is already done with puberty. I am so bummed over Caroline's result at Nebelhorn. Would love for her to win the national championship and go to Worlds finally. I hope krensby is right and all she needs to do is some sprints or weightlifting to increase her physical fitness.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline's performance---where she falls on jumps that have usually been easy for her---is eerily reminiscent of Alissa's last two performances. Does Caroline have an injury?

janetfan

Match Penalty
But Caroline is already done with puberty. I am so bummed over Caroline's result at Nebelhorn. Would love for her to win the national championship and go to Worlds finally. I hope krensby is right and all she needs to do is some sprints or weightlifting to increase her physical fitness.

I would be happy if Caroline won a national championship too....but it depends on which country's national championship you are talking about.

Canada works for me.....;)

But don't forget - my dream is to see Alissa skating in Sochi .........

Fire away RD :)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't panic. I believe she was injured but still one would expect her to have a little more on the pcs. I hope she isn't succumbing to the pressure - she must know deep down she has a chance to go to world's. THat is if Alyssa isn't fully recovered and regains some confidence and if Mirai doesn't recover fully from her issues. She will be in tight having to beat Gold and Zawadiak let alone Flatt. I am thinking Wagner is looking good for one spot at Nationals to go to world's. She will be the rock. THe second skater will be like a chance, so many good skaters but can they hold it together. It's not how you start but how you finish.

b-man

Final Flight
I am not saying she should or she will. I am just pointing out that stamina/physical fitness issues that prevent a skater from skating well are serious enough that they may decide they can't go on and would rather leave the sport. Of course, we don't really know the whole story, but it's quite clear that the lutzes, flips, and loops that Caroline was able to land at Nationals and 4CC are missing in action for her now. And she must be as frustrated as anyone about it. And yeah, a major part of her skating story is not just a struggle with poor technique, but also a struggle with adjusting and managing her developing/changing body so that she can skate well.

Caroline was noticeably slimmer and fitter at Nationals in San Jose, compared to 2011 in Greensboro. I haven't seen videos from Neibelhorn, but I am hoping she is somewhere near the fitness she had last year.

heyang

Record Breaker
Taking this into consideration, why hasn't the USFSA make sure that she got two events? Nagasu is simply an incredible skater. I think any country would jump at the chance to have her skate for them. Even Japan and Russia would find her to be an asset and their fields are deep. This isn't to say that I don't appreciate how great Ashley and Gracie are. It's just that I am not willing to overlook Mirai either.

I truly enjoy Mirai when she's on and hope she gets her head together. However, she's been very unreliable for the last couple of years - thus, only 1 event IMHO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am thinking Wagner is looking good for one spot at Nationals to go to world's. She will be the rock.

Oh boy...I would not say that...definitely not!

Krislite

Medalist
Oh boy...I would not say that...definitely not!

Too late! She has been doomed by those careless declarations! When will people learn never to temp the skate gods. ;)

In all seriousness, one good season does not a trend make. Just look at Nagasu, Czisny, Flatt and Zhang. I don't have high hopes for them (psst...I'm trying to help them out).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay, sorry. But it could be taken in another way - the rock that rolls down the hill, the rock that plummets to the abyss where faded skaters go before retiring and memorizing the words "would you like fries with that". Seriously, Wagner looks good and she is developing artistically and has great presence. She has had more time to mature than the russia baby ballerinas so I would give her the edge.

skatingcoach

Spectator
Hate to say it but Zhang needs to lose some weight! She probably ate too much sweets during the summer! Those extra weight do make you jump lower and underrotate your jumps.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Does anyone know why Mirai only got 1 GP?

Is there a possibilty she only requested one GP?

She is doing Finlandia and CoC and then Natls. Maybe for whatever reasons that's all Mirai wanted to do leading up to Natls......

Or maybe US Skating is trying to light a fire under her.....but that seems doubtful not to mention unfair.

Did a couple of US Skaters with lower world rankings than Mirai get two GP's this season? :unsure:

I don't see how it matters all that much. In USA how you do at Natls seems to be the all-encompassing factor.

And no, making the GPF or medaling at 4CC does not get a skater a spot on the Natl team and a trip to Worlds.

A while back I recall Mirai saying "skating might be what I do but it doesn't define me."

Kind of interesting ......:think:

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Is there a possibilty she only requested one GP?

She is doing Finlandia and CoC and then Natls. Maybe for whatever reasons that's all Mirai wanted to do leading up to Natls......

Or maybe US Skating is trying to light a fire under her.....but that seems doubtful not to mention unfair.

Did a couple of US Skaters with lower world rankings than Mirai get two GP's this season? :unsure:

I don't see how it matters all that much. In USA how you do at Natls seems to be the all-encompassing factor.

And no, making the GPF or medaling at 4CC does not get a skater a spot on the Natl team and a trip to Worlds.

A while back I recall Mirai saying "skating might be what I do but it doesn't define me."

Kind of interesting ......:think:

this is typical some skaters will be passed over in favor of the hailed
next skaters to beat, I don't think Mirai or Caroline have the US backing anymore
they are focusing on Gracie, Ashley and Agnes :(