State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 40 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Nagasu extended piece - this is longer than your typical fluff piece - it's almost like a mini-documentary: http://uverseonline.att.net/play/tv/show/u-verse-exclusive/p/video/dk___dk_exc_sp1215_dec12.mp4

Seeing things like this is great because it reminds me than, even when we don't see the results we expect from skaters like Mirai, she is working diligently on many aspects of her skating. It's easy for us to criticize these skaters and assume they aren't working hard enough, but in reality this is a sport that is tough on the body, and tougher for a woman's build that that of a young girl. Skaters aren't always going to get better, and a lot of things have to go right for them to even maintain consistent results over the years.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The documentary was quite interesting and gave quite a bit of insight of where she is. Namely, I like that we got to know her coaches a lot more. We know so little about them -- and I have to say that I like their coaching style -- firm, but know how to work with Mirai through her various emotions. Granted there's probably more to it then what we see in a 20 minute documentary, but still I like what I saw.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Seeing things like this is great because it reminds me than, even when we don't see the results we expect from skaters like Mirai, she is working diligently on many aspects of her skating. It's easy for us to criticize these skaters and assume they aren't working hard enough, but in reality this is a sport that is tough on the body

You don't get to this level just sitting around eating cake, of course.

Besides, work ethic is only part of the equation. An essential part, definitely - but only a part nonetheless.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You don't get to this level just sitting around eating cake, of course.

I think it's natural to do so because when we see someone's results decline we just assume that there is a simple explanation, either injury or motivation. But it isn't usually the case.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^She dodged that last question quite effectively. :)

For her sake, I hope she has a decent outing. I don't want her anywhere near the world team but I think it'd be okay if she placed top 5 here. That would set her up nicely to attempt to get herself in order next season...though I still feel like her chances of going to Sochi are quite slim as of now. Things could change next season so I won't count her out just yet...but as of now, she's not a front-runner when talking about potentials for the Olympic team.

Thanks for the ppost, Mrs. P. Go Alissa! :love:

(Any spies in her camp who can slip us a hint on the LP music? ;) )

macy

Record Breaker
New Alissa Czisny Article

Anyone see the new article IN has about her? She sounds like she's doing great and is excited to compete at nats. she kept the same short as last year and has a new long which music she is keeping under wraps until nationals. She seems to have the right mindset after the disastrous end she had to her season, the setback of her injury and being off the ice for four months. i am SO excited to see her back in a couple weeks and i hope she doesn't put any pressure on herself, after all she doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. i hope she has two great skates and that her hip is healed up!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, seems like Czisny knows with near-certainty (barring the unforeseen) that she'll be at Nationals. Like I said before, I don't want her on the world team again BUT if she gives a performance she can be proud of, I'll be happy for her. She seems to have been through a lot.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, seems like Czisny knows with near-certainty (barring the unforeseen) that she'll be at Nationals. Like I said before, I don't want her on the world team again BUT if she gives a performance she can be proud of, I'll be happy for her. She seems to have been through a lot.

If she does make the world team she will have earned it because I think the USFSA is done padding her PCS if she doesn't deliver the goods technically. I can't image she will skate as well as some of our other ladies who have been competing hard this season and are better prepared.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Beautiful quote from the article:
And it's easy to criticize athletes; after all, we are the ones who put ourselves out in the spotlight, in front of so many people. Yet, what sports fans don't always tangibly understand is the sacrifice and dedication, the hard work and heartbreaks, the long hours and hurting bodies, the courage and fortitude that it takes for athletes to give everything they have for those few minutes of competition.
She's such a wonderful girl, I wish her all the best for this competition: just to skate the best she can and enjoy this, even if she doesn't earn a medal or place very well, but it would be really incredible if she could place in the 4CC team!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish her well but it will be a tough competition as the other girls have been skating their programs all season.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to nationals and wish all the competitors the very best - nothing like skating your best, regardless of placements, at a big event like this! And I especially hope that AC can skate a skate she is proud of. I don't know why, but I find the secrecy about her LP just makes her return to competition more exciting... :)

Icey

Record Breaker
Well, Alissa has done "swans" four times, so I guess that can be eliminated.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know why, but I find the secrecy about her LP just makes her return to competition more exciting... :)

I would be excited if there were any indication that her new LP was a departure from the type of music she always skates to.