State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 20 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
Apparently Wagner also now has a Nike endorsement, per one of her tweets. We might see more of this as the Sochi Olympics near.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ashley is one of those rare skaters who usually adds choreography and transitions to a program as a season goes on ....

And Wagner's espnW blog today discusses this point too:

I usually tiptoe my way into the program over the course of the season. The first couple of times it’s just the skeleton, very raw and not completely refined. As the season goes on, my coach and I add more choreography, ramp up the difficult jumps and add more complexity. And then it’s just repetition and practice, going over different sections again and again until they're as close to perfect as I can get them.

Next it’s off to Paris for my second Grand Prix, the Trophée Eric Bompard in mid-November. It’s going to be a tough competition with a bunch of younger Russian skaters, and I’m going to have to be really strong. I’m working on adding a triple-triple combo to my short and long programs, and I feel like if I can get that in both it will make me competitive against these girls. I have a lot of work ahead of me, though.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Article written by Chicago Tribune's Olympic columnist Philip Hersh regarding this season's Worlds spots:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0_1_mirai-nagasu-alissa-czisny-agnes-zawadzki

"If Gao can skate as well again at her second Grand Prix event 2 ½ weeks from now in Paris, she becomes the favorite to win the second spot on this season’s world team."

You've gotta be kidding. This is the worst attempt at predictions I've yet seen. If Gao, who has failed to demonstrate any consistency until this season, gets that second Worlds spot, then I really will have something to say about the state of the American ladies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gao might actually have a shot at the GPF if that happens (depends on how the Russians do).

But don't hold your breath...

I don't see anything outrageous about the quote from Hersh. Remember he said "if."

If Christina nails it again in her second GP event and no one else steps up alongside her, why wouldn't she have a shot at the nationals podium?

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't see anything outrageous about the quote from Hersh. Remember he said "if."

If Christina nails it again in her second GP event and no one else steps up alongside her, why wouldn't she have a shot at the nationals podium?

She has a near-certain shot at the Nats podium, to be sure. What I'm questioning is whether or not she is the best choice for the Worlds team, and there I disagree with him although she is in a very good position to make the GPF.

Well, the world team is not exactly a "choice." If Gao gets silver at nationals, she goes.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Interm of favorites, Alissa has been the judges favorite for her beauty, line, elegance, SS. I have not read this long thread since the beginning or at least a while. I don't recall Agnes' programs or if she has done a GP. What are her chances of being on podium? If Gao skates great and zhang skates great, will they give a higher placement to Gao, or do they see her as another rachel, just finishing her am career and gone off to college. It seems to be the judges avor those who work full time at skating. Gao's skating was luck, and can she repeat given her course load?

Number 2 spot is undecided. How I wish Gold had proven how good she is at her GP. I guess she has 1 more chance on the circuit.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
All I have to say is WOW about... Agnes! She has gotten so much better since I last saw her. Her SP at COR was so good today, the entrance into the 3Z is so difficult and her +GOE in every element was well deserved. I would have liked to see her PCS higher but if she keeps skating like this that mark will come up substantially. It would not surprise me a bit to see her on the podium at nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agnes was on the 2012 Nationals podium----she won the SP and finished 3rd overall after a troubled FS.

Internationally, Agnes has a history of great SPs followed by messy FSs. She won't get higher PCS scores until she can deliver two good programs on a consistent basis.

Reginald

Match Penalty
^^Me too. Ashley is the first US champion who has delivered like a champion. I think that confidence boost is what she needed and now with the federation backing her, I think she has an even better chance doing well. She's the only one who I think has a great shot of defending her title if she stays healthy and focused.

Think about it: when was the last time a defending champion was in a good place competitively when nationals rolled around again? It's been a long time...

In 2008 Mirai won but it was in the middle of a transitional period for US skating. By 2009 she was suffering from a growth spurt and injury and didn't perform well.

In 2009 there were several young girls competing that year and Alissa was the only "lady among the girls," despite the fact she completely flubbed her LP. They gave her the title based on a solid SP and a prayer...she went to worlds that year and tanked. At 2010 nationals she was out of the race before the SP was over...

In 2010 Rachael won on paper but that night belonged to Mirai. In 2011 Rachael was hiding a stress fracture and had a rough performance at nationals...then that whole tibiagate thing at worlds.

In 2011 Alissa delivered her best programs to date and finally earned her title but she wasn't the same Alissa by the time the 2011-2012 season rolled around. She got lucky to get silver at nationals this year b/c she should have been 3rd or lower...but she was the best shot for worlds...or so we thought.

Now we've got Ashley. She won convincingly at nationals this year...what's going to happen at the 2013 nationals? My fingers are crossed for her.;)

You could go back even further than that.

In 2005, Michelle won, but that was her last hurrah. By the time 2006 nats cam around, she was battling a groin injury, and effectively out of competitive skating.

In 2006, Sasha won, but she was drained after the Olympics and worlds. She decided to take a break in fall 2006 and didn't come back until 2010.

In 2007, Kimmie Meissner narrowly edged out Hughes. However, she became the victim of her own success in 2008, when she flubbed her short and long programs and finished 7th.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Re. Zawadzki- Chuckm is right. Great SP from her, but there is still the FS to go and we all know how that's going to go (I hope not, but if I was a betting man...)

ETA: As she was 3rd last year at Nationals, she's already been on the podium. Next step up for her, really, is top 2...and that means the world team (I must admit, I kinda ducked at the thought)

I don't envy Miss Wagner with all that pressure that will be on her come Nationals in January... ;)

And to all of you that were counting Gracie Gold out after SC...womp womp!

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Interm of favorites, Alissa has been the judges favorite for her beauty, line, elegance, SS. I have not read this long thread since the beginning or at least a while. I don't recall Agnes' programs or if she has done a GP. What are her chances of being on podium? If Gao skates great and zhang skates great, will they give a higher placement to Gao, or do they see her as another rachel, just finishing her am career and gone off to college. It seems to be the judges avor those who work full time at skating. Gao's skating was luck, and can she repeat given her course load?

Number 2 spot is undecided. How I wish Gold had proven how good she is at her GP. I guess she has 1 more chance on the circuit.

I'd call first place after the SP at CoR somewhat of a redemption :). Of course, though, the USFSA can't keep all of their eggs in two baskets. They'll be keeping tabs on Caroline, Christina, Agnes, and Mirai as well.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Re. Zawadzki- Chuckm is right. Great SP from her, but there is still the FS to go and we all know how that's going to go (I hope not, but if I was a betting man...)

ETA: As she was 3rd last year at Nationals, she's already been on the podium. Next step up for her, really, is top 2...and that means the world team (I must admit, I kinda ducked at the thought)

I don't envy Miss Wagner with all that pressure that will be on her come Nationals in January... ;)

And to all of you that were counting Gracie Gold out after SC...womp womp!

It would be great to see two US ladies on the podium in Russia, and Gracie will medal unless a SC-scale disaster strikes.

Though I was upset at the number of people asking if Gracie was breaking under pressure, I'll admit that I got a good laugh out of those who automatically deemed her a headcase and an inconsistency. Her SP at the Cup of Russia was more like how she usually skates--confident, sassy, and a natural-born performer.

My top 3 for that second Worlds spot are Gracie, Agnes, and Mirai--in that order. And also in that order is how I think they'll finish at Nats...behind Ashley, of course ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
As things currently stand, though, look for Zawadzki and Gold to SERIOUSLY challenge Wagner in the SP...especially if Wagner has one of her usual silly mistakes there.

I don't think Wagner is the lock for Nats Gold everyone seems to think she is at this time, although I will acknowledge her as the favorite. Again, she is untested under pressure, and remember no one has successfully defended the US title in years...

Somehow I think there may be surprises. Wagner is no shoo-in. Gold is her biggest threat now and is perfectly capable of upsetting her.

I think Wagner would have to have a serious off-night for any of the others to beat her, though. Theoretically, Zawadzki may come closest in capability but until she learns to deliver a solid FS she will be doomed every time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Wagner would have to have a serious off-night for any of the others to beat her, though. Theoretically, Zawadzki may come closest in capability but until she learns to deliver a solid FS she will be doomed every time.

I think Wagner has always been very good, even as far back as 2009. I think she was punished for her frequent 2-foot landings but she might be given a little slack at Nationals now because she has had such strong results. So I agree that she'd have to be off to lose, or Gracie would have to be squeaky clean with 7 triples.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think Wagner has always been very good, even as far back as 2009. I think she was punished for her frequent 2-foot landings but she might be given a little slack at Nationals now because she has had such strong results. So I agree that she'd have to be off to lose, or Gracie would have to be squeaky clean with 7 triples.

The second condition isn't so impossible--Gracie got five or six triples in her CoR FS, and the doubled loop was (I think) a result of trying to enter the jump with almost no preparation. It's safe to say that she has technique in the bag. What she needs to upset Ashley is more expressive interpretation of the music--I'm still not entirely satisfied with her FS artistry.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think Ashley looks VERY fit now though compared to 2009. Not that she was flabby or anything a few years back, but when you look at her now, she's really defined, especially in her arms. I was looking at some of my photos from Skate America and it was amazing to see how defined her muscles were in some of the jumps! I think this has really helped her as far as getting the jumps done.

jaylee

Medalist

2-foot landings as well as URs (I think the two are actually linked). It was never as bad as say, Mirai Nagasu, but URs and DGs hurt her placements in the past. Ashley's not the biggest jumper, but she makes up for it in consistency.