Did Michelle Kwan kill pro skating? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Did Michelle Kwan kill pro skating?

Michelle skated only once under CoP judging, 2005 worlds. She got third in the short and third in the long, finishing fourth overall. So we don't have much data to appeal to in deciding how well she might have done in the new system.

As to slowly fizzling out, it is true that her chronic hip injury eventually claimed its due. Even so, she continued to land on the world podium up until 2005, nine straight times.

After Michelle retired, figure skating in the U.S. went belly up. :cry:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ah.... this thread has been bliss. All those links to old Michelle Kwan classics. :love:

On the camels, I actually always loved Michelle's. She got overshadowed in this respect by the emergence of Sasha Cohen and other flexibility goddesses but Michelle actually had great stretch. Her camel spin looks classic because the line between the top of her head and her toe was perfect. Even when she came out of jumps the stretch of her free leg was lovely ... and of course her change of edge spiral. Not to mention her falling leaf split jump. She wasn't as flexible in her back as others were so it gave her a bit of trouble with the lay back spin but her split leaf jump and her charlotte spiral showed off her flexibily in other ways. She always pointed her toes.

Peggy constantly said Sasha never hit a bad position and that was true but neither did Michelle.

OK, one more, then I'll stop. :)

Michelle at fifteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imuQWeIi4Q

Edited to add: This is the sort of thing I was trying to get at in the original post.

I don't really think that Michelle Kwan killed professional skating. It's just that when we can watch competitive programs with this kind of performance values, what does pro skating bring to the table that we don't already have right before our eyes?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Really? ok so then who do you think has good camel? I thought Sarah, Sasha and Yuka had one of the best camel spins.

Maria Butyrskaya and Irina Slutskaya both had strong camel spins. Gusmeroli as well. Kwan and Cohen had other spins that were stronger, but their camel spins were still better than Hughes.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Its performances like this that got me hooked on skating. I really miss this kind of artistry. Ashley is very good and I wish her all the best, but if she were skating in one rink, and MK was skating in another, I know where I would be.
Chris looking for tar and feathers for the American judge.:laugh:
(ref short hair, MK is way to pretty for short hair....but hey, I am a man...:love:)

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Maria Butyrskaya and Irina Slutskaya both had strong camel spins. Gusmeroli as well. Kwan and Cohen had other spins that were stronger, but their camel spins were still better than Hughes.

No, I disagree. Hughes had the perfect position on her camel spins. Hughes had strong sit spins too. I don't know what makes you think she had ordinary spins.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Romanza-emergence of the delicate chinese beauty that she was. Never prettier-yet such a fighter. She wanted lulu's gold and got it.

Layfan

Record Breaker