Short Program, Free Skate

Protocols - Short Program, Protocols - Free Skate

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Han Yan had too many mistakes :cry:
Jin beat Farris on TES, maybe he got better GOEs

but what a surprise to Samarin, congrats on a good JGP debut
maybe there is hope in Russian men new skaters and Plushenko doesnt have to come back in 2018 ?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Surprising but now Russia has two medalists and neither are Kovtun. Alexander Petrov and Samarian! One of the more surprising developments. They have seized opportunities!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Surprising but now Russia has two medalists and neither are Kovtun. Alexander Petrov and Samarian! One of the more surprising developments. They have seized opportunities!

Kovtun hasn't competed yet but he will compete next week in JGP Croatia with Nathan and Han Yan will be there again
and he will will next compete in the last JGP in Germany

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun hasn't competed yet but he will compete next week in JGP Croatia with Nathan and Han Yan will be there again
and he will will next compete in the last JGP in Germany

I was just saying that I think before the JGP began no one would have expected any Russian to medal except Kovtun. So that is what I meant by two medalists not named Kovtun and did not mean that Kovtun had competed and not medaled.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I was just saying that I think before the JGP began no one would have expected any Russian to medal except Kovtun. So that is what I meant by two medalists not named Kovtun and did not mean that Kovtun had competed and not medaled.

sorry about that misunderstanding, well at least they are slowly cropping some new young talents post Sochi with Kovtun , Samarin , though not as good as Chen , Han, Jin or Farris. It would have been horrible if they will just rely after Zhenya retires on Gachinski, who has issues with consistency and nerves

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just watched his skate and I think Shoma Uno was lowballed on PCS, his jumps are small yes, but the quality of his skating is exceptional! his flowing, lyrical upper body movement is just exquisite! lots of potential there, and very nice program too, I would have had his PCS significantly higher.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
Just watched his skate and I think Shoma Uno was lowballed on PCS, his jumps are small yes, but the quality of his skating is exceptional! his flowing, lyrical upper body movement is just exquisite! lots of potential there, and very nice program too, I would have had his PCS significantly higher.

I agree with you on everything you said about Uno's PCS. Not everyone can skate to such oriental, zen music and make it interesting. Although, that being said, he did make an inane mistake on the Double Axel. Had he not done so, perhaps his PCS would have been higher.
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to He Zhang? I really enjoyed his skating last season and am wondering where he is now? His name does not appear to be on any of the entry lists in the final two JGPs...
Also, what is going on with Han Yan? He seems to be exhausted and unfocussed, perhaps even ill.
Better yet, what is going on with all the Chinese men??? :frown:

Macassar88

Medalist
How old is Boyang Jin? Because he has VERY juniorish presentation and looks like he's going through the motions. Great tech though.
Also, what happened to Han Yan? He had big mistakes in both programs. I hope it's just early season kinks that he will iron out so that he can do better later in the season.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:agree:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
How old is Boyang Jin? Because he has VERY juniorish presentation and looks like he's going through the motions. Great tech though.
Also, what happened to Han Yan? He had big mistakes in both programs. I hope it's just early season kinks that he will iron out so that he can do better later in the season.

I'm sure Han Yan will do better on his next JGP event, I think he wasn't feeling well here
Boyang Jin is same age with Samarin, they are 14 years old.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm sure Han Yan will do better on his next JGP event, I think he wasn't feeling well here
Boyang Jin is same age with Samarin, they are 14 years old.
I'm worried about Han Yan, he needs to win his next JGP (beating kovtun and chen) to qualify for the final... I hope this was just an off-day and he'll perform well...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm worried about Han Yan, he needs to win his next JGP (beating kovtun and chen) to qualify for the final... I hope this was just an off-day and he'll perform well...

Actually even if he wins he might not qualify. Hino has a 3rd and a 2nd which would slot him in ahead of Yan regardless of what happens in Croatia, and Chen would also qualify ahead of Yan if he is 4th or higher in Croatia, so if that happens the sum of Kovtun's finishes are 5 or less, then Han Yan, even with a win next week, would not make the cut and the JGPF entrants would be Farris, Brown, Jin, Chen, Kovtun, and Hino. And that's disregarding any other guys who have medaled at their first event but have yet to compete at their second (Samarin, etc). So we will see what happens. I think he just had an off competition, but even if he's back to his usual form next week, qualifying for the JGPF is really in the hands of the others.

whispering

Rinkside
I agree with you on everything you said about Uno's PCS. Not everyone can skate to such oriental, zen music and make it interesting. Although, that being said, he did make an inane mistake on the Double Axel. Had he not done so, perhaps his PCS would have been higher.
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to He Zhang? I really enjoyed his skating last season and am wondering where he is now? His name does not appear to be on any of the entry lists in the final two JGPs...
Also, what is going on with Han Yan? He seems to be exhausted and unfocussed, perhaps even ill.
Better yet, what is going on with all the Chinese men??? :frown:

He Zhang got injured before JGP started, he withdrawn from Courchevel and Linz. As for Yan, although he denies it, he has been suffering from a chronic lower back pain, which has gotten worse recently. He clarified on his weibo that there was nothing wrong -- he just had a bad skate. :no:

ice cool

Rinkside
Boyang Jin was born on October 3, 1997, so he will turn 15 in 3 days. I think his presentation is not that bad. He just has bad skating skills which makes it difficult for him to present. Many Chinese fans hope he’ll improve on SS.

Country
Russia
Rather Tanaka (multiple 3A), Han Yan(4T), Shoma Uno (extremely nice skating) lost, than Samarin won.

Samarin had a clean skating of not very high level.

Joke: Samarin is not disguised Lena Radionova - Lena could not have so low GOE.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Rather Tanaka (multiple 3A), Han Yan(4T), Shoma Uno (extremely nice skating) lost, than Samarin won.

Samarin had a clean skating of not very high level.

Joke: Samarin is not disguised Lena Radionova - Lena could not have so low GOE.

Samarin doesn't have that much low GOE's though his GOE's are not that higher than Radionova, he landed 6 Triples on FS except for that 3Lz-3T edge call,
I think Samarin usually flutzes needs to be fixed

Last edited: