Barbara Ann Scott passed away | Golden Skate

Barbara Ann Scott passed away

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just heard the news on CTV. Indeed, a sad day. She was a figure skating Icon in Canada. Barbara Ann Scott symbolized greatness in her sport and inspired many a skater in Canada to take up figure skating. She will be missed by the figure skating world.

emma

Record Breaker
An amazing person, skater, ambassador for the sport, and icon for so many. My deepest condolences to family and friends. RIP.

janetfan

Match Penalty
An amazing person, skater, ambassador for the sport, and icon for so many. My deepest condolences to family and friends. RIP.

Very well said......a great loss, not just for Canada but all skating fans.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I first became interested in figure skating when my mother told me about Barbara Ann. She really was a source of inspiration for little Canadian girls, always proud, determined and very classy. I remember seeing her at various competitions in later years, usually wearing jaunty caps with sequins. She certainly knew how to enter a room or rink! My favourite memory of her is when Liz Manley won Olympic silver; she was completely over the moon with joy at seeing Liz triumph. Priceless! Everyone was so fond of her. She was always Barbara Ann to the skating community. Lucky those who met her and interviewed her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So sorry to hear the sad news. She was truly a legend. RIP

manleywoman thanks for posting your podcast!

heyhey

On the Ice
One of my favorite podcast interviews of all time. Listen to her tell her story: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-43-barbara-ann-scott/

This is a great interview. Had me smiling from ear to ear.

ETA: Thanks manleywoman for the interview. Not only do you get a magnificent sense of her personality but her insight into the sport. Practicing figures for 7 out of the 8 hours - back then...real passion for the sport...and I love the quote about figure skating being about figures and not gymnastics on ice. That's why I miss the CDs....Anyways interviews such as these are such gems..:biggrin:

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I forgot to mention the famous Barbara Ann Scott doll:

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/dolls/dobar01e.shtml

I had a Barbara Ann Scott doll when I was little. It was my most prized possession because she was so beautiful. She lived in the bottom drawer of my dresser.

When I met Ms. Scott at Canadians in Ottawa in 2006, I told her about my doll and she asked me what colour the dress was. I said white with white fur around the skirt. She looked just like the doll in the picture linked above.