Mirai Nagasu | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was interviewed by TSL, they will post it sometime Wednesday. Her dog Lincoln will make an appearance and apparently she teaches Dave & Jenny some Japanese!

Interview is up! Over an hour of Mirai goodness :) Haven't watched yet, but hope it's entertaining and informative.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After watching the interview, I am an even bigger Mirai fan.

What a treat to hear from Mirai about her skating career and its many ups and downs. I'm glad she seems to be in a good place now with her training and life in general. If they had more time, I would've liked to hear more about her studies and how she is balancing training with school as well as what she'd like to do after she's done competing. Plus Tom Z mentioned she has a bf in another interview, inquiring minds want to know who he is! LOL

winky97

Medalist
Too bad for Polina, but Congrats to Mirai. Good luck to her at Worlds!

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well looks like Colorado is hell after all because we are currently frozen over right now and then this just happens.

jaq

Rinkside
*screaming* I cannnnoottttttt believe she's going.
Damn. I convinced myself not to try to go to a ladies event, but Mirai! Hopefully there's a good (cheap) deal out there.

Tallorder

On the Ice
When Polina's Pre-Worlds press conference was cancelled, it seemed probably that something was not going well for Polina unfortunately. It does seem Mirai has been training, doing her duty as an alternate and presumably has been able to maintain some sense that this could happen. It seems, well handled (and in a class way) from both Polina's camp and for Mirai's and US Figure skating's benefit.

All the best for both ladies - Polina to heal fully and for Mirai as she heads to Boston.

charmblade

Final Flight
Hopefully Mirai has been training all along, as much as I'm thrilled to see her at Worlds it's really unfortunate that she only gets about a week's notice.

I really don't know how much the alternates usually stay fully trained. It must be hard when your season is probably over and you want a break and to look towards next season but you still have to keep practicing the same programs. I would guess that if you have a good reason to think you might be called in you'd be training more. (i.e. I would assume the Russian first alternate pairs team has probably been waiting to see if Stolbova/Klimov will actually compete and have been prepared to step in at any point) But for Mirai, maybe since Ashley had that hard fall a few weeks back she's been more diligent with her training? Other than that she wouldn't have had a real reason to think she would be expected to go to Worlds.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm ecstatic that I get to see Mirai in person. I hope all the stars align for her in Boston!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Mirai that she gets to skate at Worlds for the first time in 5 years. She expressed in the TSL interview that she wanted to go and was continuing her training as an alternate, so I think she'll be prepared.

I missed her skating live when she was in NYC a few weeks ago, so I'm thrilled to be able to see her compete in Boston next week!

dna5019

Final Flight
I came here to wish Mirai the best of luck! I'm sad for Polina, but what an exciting opportunity for Mirai! I hope she does well! :cheer: :yay: :cheer:

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Good luck to Mirai. I think she deserves to be at worlds this year after having such a great season. She probably wont be placed that high in the rankings, but I hope she has a respectable skate and shows off to the international judges how much she has improved since last year.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad for Polina but happy for Mirai. I think she's able to show her best in Boston.