Mirai Nagasu | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mirai was gorgeous in her Foxtrot dance with Alan and received the first 10 of the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CocqnvzPuEE

She and Adam are tied with the highest scores.

Aww... i have a little tear of joy in my eye watching Princess Mirai bathed in Disney magic dust... glitter, sparkling shiny, full of smiles. That was such a great fairy tale high from that 2014 US nationals regretful moment.

Hah Nathen in the audience in US denim, looking rather 21 jump street. Even with the mickey mouse ears.

slider11

Medalist
Sad to say that Mirai did not make the final round of the American Dancing with the Stars. I am truly amazed how engaging and expressive Mirai has been during this dancing competition. All the sparkle and emotion lacking in her skating came out with the dancing. I think it just shows, in skating, how these difficult jumps consume the ladies and make it difficult to truly express their artistry. I know there are exceptions and that's the sport but it was good to see Mirai do so well in a different "sport". On a side note, I hope Adam Rippon wins the competition.

sakurano

Final Flight
I must say that Mirai has pleasantly surprised me in DWTS and I regret not to be more than interested in her skating, I think that dancing with the stars is a good experience for her.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh well.. I enjoyed it anyway. You kind of seeing the producer pushing a Tonya and Adam final for the ratings anyway, with Adam 75% winning chance. (On the other hand, this is the age of Trumpism soo :noshake:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOU7EPJFQ-Y

Is Mirai continuing her figure skating career or another retirement impending? Pairs? Imaging what pair of 3A landing can do for US Pairs? :eeking: More record breaking!!

Hope she can bring what she learn here to her figure skating.

nguyhm

On the Ice
I watched Mirai's interviews after Monday's DWTS and had a feeling that she might either retire or will not immediately go back to skating. There was a question on whether the experiences with DWTS will help her skating and she did not address it, talking about her other potential future plans instead. I hope I'm wrong since I would like to see her use the DWTS experiences to be more expressive in skating (she mentioned that Alan taught her to use the muscles on her face that she did not know exist). Hoping to see her skate one or 2 more years

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I watched Mirai's interviews after Monday's DWTS and had a feeling that she might either retire or will not immediately go back to skating. There was a question on whether the experiences with DWTS will help her skating and she did not address it, talking about her other potential future plans instead. I hope I'm wrong since I would like to see her use the DWTS experiences to be more expressive in skating (she mentioned that Alan taught her to use the muscles on her face that she did not know exist). Hoping to see her skate one or 2 more years
:rofl:

Maybe it is just out of practice... her facial muscle seems deteriorated or numbed after her Carmen and Pirates of the Caribbeans 8 years ago, at least at competitions.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Yeah, Mirai seems to be giving out a different vibe in her interviews now than she did earlier this season (she said after the Olympics that she wanted to do more seasons, but I think the latest when asked about it outright is that she wants to see what opportunities she gets). She was asked outright whether she was retiring in one of the articles for Stars on Ice, and she said that she wouldn't want to make a decision like that until she is able to take a vacation after this season. It's been a long season for her...she was going for her full short program content (triple axels, triple triples, solo triple) when she toured with The Ice last summer. She has got to feel exhausted. She is doing The Ice tour in Japan again this summer. Maybe when all of the olympic/Stars on Ice/DWTS craziness dies down, she'll decide to continue...

And if she does continue, I seriously wish we could hire Alan for the weekends to get on her ass constantly about facial expressions :laugh: Hell, I would even love to see her do a "for me" season, where she focuses on performing and to hell with rotations. I'm not sure what motivation she would have to continue though, unless she wants to go for a national title and maybe another four continents medal.

Imagine

Medalist
Honestly, a well trained Mirai capable of throwing 3A’s in both programs might just be the closest thing the US has to a medal contender in the Ladies field. Maybe not for the next Olympics, but at least for a couple more seasons. Unfortunately, seeing as how Mirai seemed to suffer her post-Olympic slump even before Worlds ended...my gut says she’s burned out. That bronze medal seems to mean everything to her, and I think there’s not really a great incentive for her to continue at this point. It would be interesting to see how her stint on DWTS might play into her skating though.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Honestly, a well trained Mirai capable of throwing 3A’s in both programs might just be the closest thing the US has to a medal contender in the Ladies field. Maybe not for the next Olympics, but at least for a couple more seasons. Unfortunately, seeing as how Mirai seemed to suffer her post-Olympic slump even before Worlds ended...my gut says she’s burned out. That bronze medal seems to mean everything to her, and I think there’s not really a great incentive for her to continue at this point. It would be interesting to see how her stint on DWTS might play into her skating though.

Agree that she was mentally and physically burnt out after the team event, she was practicing very well consistently per Jackie Wong's reports, and then her practices started to slowly get less consistent/she was having a tough time with the triple axel (perhaps from all of the attention the team event one got).
She only tried a few triple axels in practice at worlds, so it seemed clear that she wasn't going to include them in her program. People have a lot of balls for acting mad at her for not going for triple axels at worlds too :eek:hwell:

Unfortunately, Mirai had no choice but to come out guns a-blazing last season to get some momentum for an Olympic spot. She could perhaps feel like she went out with a bang and that she doesn't have scores to settle anymore. I remember her saying on TSL a few years back that she hoping to have a "moment" when she knew she was done with skating. Maybe she got it after her worlds long program? On the Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness podcast, she said that she was very happy with what she did there (she also said that while some of her jump calls may have been questionable, she has learned that she has to let the judges do their jobs-she literally said "F*ck it" when talking about it, which was pretty funny).

frida80

Record Breaker
I think that fire is still there. Mirai wasn’t just good, she was fantastic on DWTS. How she learned her footwork, choreography, and finally how to perform facially was insane! She actually was better than other skaters on the show. It took Kristi weeks to learn how to really perform. Mirai was so polished. Her toes were pointed instead of flat with great turn out. She was really committed to learn not just the steps but really how to dance and perform.

The truth is, if you take the level of skating she had at NHK and the performance quality she had here, she’d medal at the GP easily. If you bump it up to her level Nationals, a world medal. And the Olympics plus her DWTS perform could beat anyone. I’d love to see her bring DWTS and her 3A next season.

slider11

Medalist
I think that fire is still there. Mirai wasn’t just good, she was fantastic on DWTS. How she learned her footwork, choreography, and finally how to perform facially was insane! She actually was better than other skaters on the show. It took Kristi weeks to learn how to really perform. Mirai was so polished. Her toes were pointed instead of flat with great turn out. She was really committed to learn not just the steps but really how to dance and perform.

The truth is, if you take the level of skating she had at NHK and the performance quality she had here, she’d medal at the GP easily. If you bump it up to her level Nationals, a world medal. And the Olympics plus her DWTS perform could beat anyone. I’d love to see her bring DWTS and her 3A next season.

I think I agree! From what Marai learned about performance in DWTS, she could take her skating to a new level! Her Olympic goal was achieved so the pressure is off. This could be a very interesting season for Mirai if she has the will.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to her IG, Mirai is back in Colorado. She posted videos on her stories of her doing 3F/3T at the OTC, as well as some beautiful layback spins.

I wonder if that's a hint she might continue competing next season? I hope she decides soon what she's doing and let's us know!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I was at the block party! Read the news about Mirai skipping the GP on my phone while lining up for signatures/pictures, haha, so I didn't ask Mirai about competing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Stumbled across mention of 2018 Pasadena Open's "Mirai Nagasu Future Star Trophy." :cool:

Is it something new this year? (Perhaps awarded only this year??)

The Mirai Nagasu Future Star Trophy will be awarded to the skater who gives, in the opinion of selected judges, the most outstanding performance of the competition at the Pre-Juvenile level and below. This is a special trophy and does not have a perpetual component.

The Pasadena Figure Skating Club is excited to announce that the Mirai Nagasu Future Star Trophy will also include a scholarship for the recipient. Good luck to all of our Pre-Juvenile and below competitors!

ETA (on Sep 20), update:

Mirai's heartfelt post :luv17: about the trophy and the winner:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn8HDCznAKd/?taken-by=mirainagasu (posted Sep 20)​

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, who watches RuPaul's Drag Race?

For those who don't, it's a contest between drag queens, to see who can be crowned the "next drag superstar".

Each week RuPaul, Michelle Visage, Ross Matthews and two guest judges review the performances of the queens, critique them, and decide who is up for elimination.

Next Thursday (4/4) the guest judges are Adam Rippon and Mirai Nagasu.

The new episode airs at 9:00pm Eastern on VH-1 network.