Computer Issues | Golden Skate

Computer Issues

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a site they go to for help?? I'm having some issues with my NEW computer. :confused: I am not computer savy at all so I could use some help. Any info would be appreciated.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Believe it or not, I go to Google, and type my exact question in the search box. Then I look down the list to see what I get. It almost always solves my problem :)

What are the problems, though. Perhaps some of us have had the same ones.

Believe it or not, I go to Google, and type my exact question in the search box. Then I look down the list to see what I get. It almost always solves my problem :)

I do this, too and it really works well most of times!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thanks for your response Doris & l'etoile. What's happening is my computer will just shut down. I've looked it up but not on google. It says there could be several reasons, memory, something wrong with the fan, a virus and other issues. One issue is with Windows 7 but I don't know what that's about. Thank God, it has booted back up. The computer is 3 months old.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
did you buy it online or locally? either way you should have a basic warranty that you can have it looked at.

is it a laptop or desktop?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It could have hardware issues (like heating up) but one thing you could have is power options set in a way that you don't want. Go to the control panel. Use the icons views so that it is easy to see everything. Look at what's going on in Power Options, and in Power Manager, if you have Power Manager. Have a look at when it's set to shut off or hibernate, or turn off or dim the screen.

Sometimes it will be doing it when you haven't done something for some number of minutes, or when the battery is at such and such a level of charge (if it is a laptop).

If it's new, and only three months old, it's under guarantee for sure.

This, typed into Google, gives you a ton of different answers:

why does my new computer keep shutting down by itself

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
did you buy it online or locally? either way you should have a basic warranty that you can have it looked at.

is it a laptop or desktop?
I bought it locally and it's a desktop. Yes, it is under warrenty. As I said before I am not computer savy so it's probably an easy fix. In order to use the warrenty-fix it, I have to unplug and take to the shop....I'm just trying to avoid doing that.

Doris, I do have it set to sleep when not in use for 30 minutes. It actually shuts down, blue screen and then restarts. I will try google and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I had the same problem in August! Freakin' blue screen would just pop up and blow the things I was working on:( It turns out that it was a compatibility issue among programs in my computer, according to my computer guy. Something about MS softwares. Before he looked into it, he said that it's most likely because of virus or compatibility issue and in those cases, you just have to wipe out the whole computer data, and re-install the whole thing(organizing system).

If your computer shuts down again, you should just go to your computer guy and get the exact analysis.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had the same problem in August! Freakin' blue screen would just pop up and blow the things I was working on:( It turns out that it was a compatibility issue among programs in my computer, according to my computer guy. Something about MS softwares. Before he looked into it, he said that it's most likely because of virus or compatibility issue and in those cases, you just have to wipe out the whole computer data, and re-install the whole thing(organizing system).

If your computer shuts down again, you should just go to your computer guy and get the exact analysis.

Yes, I think you're right. I was just trying to avoid unhooking to take it into the shop but I might have to do it. :mad: :mad:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully got the problem solved. I called the computer tech support ....the problem was I had 3 antivirus programs that were fighting with each other. I had to uninstall 2 of them. Since I purchased one I kept it and the problem went away.

I had XP prior and had the same 3 anti-virus programs and they played great together.

Does anyone have Windows 8??? What do you think???

Glad things sorted out for you, Dee.

Sometime ago I got the new year's Norton installed and suddenly couldn't open a Word document. I took it back, and it turned out that the Norton had misbehaved and needed to be reinstalled so it wasn't fighting with the Word system. Machines can have very bad manners, can't they.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Machines can have very bad manners, can't they.

I am just so irritated at Windows 7....For some reason I think that XP was the most stable of all of them. I hear that Windows 8 is totally different.

My OS is windows 7 and I think mine works fine just like XP which I had for years until last summer. I heard that Windows 8 has lots of compatibility problems including IE. But it's MS, I think they'll surely settle the problems with upgrade in no time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have vista... missed XP but have finally got the hang of vista... blah...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have Windows 7 and am very happy with it. I liked XP too. But then, back in the day, I had Windows ME, which was so bad that it set a very low expectations bar...