Davis & White disclose their music selections! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Davis & White disclose their music selections!

missysays

On the Ice
I'm sure they will do a fine job with it but I imagine it will be a lot like Samson and Phantom so it seems a bit safe. This music and program was the one thing A&P did that I didn't enjoy at all. I've yet to see a program to this music I liked. I do think though that D&W will have the best program to this music of the ones I've seen. Just not that exciting and on paper seems a bit repetitive.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this post. D/W are one of my favorite ice dance teams; but what's frustrating for me sometimes as a fan is that I feel that they have the capability to be much edgier or more avant garde programs than the musical selections for their FDs seem to indicate. (Charlie, in particular, is very conservative in his musical choices for them- Phantom is a prime example.) Most of their FD programs seem to be derivative of programs that have been done by others. They seem to think that they have success with epic/passionate FDs and so this year's musical choice is following along those lines. Not only is it something that A/P have skated to but when I was listening to the music it sounded a bit like W/P's French-vocal FD music from last season.

They have such an exciting and dynamic presence on the ice I wish that they would come up with fresher musical choices and program concepts for their FDs.

Oddly enough they seem to be more creative or at least come up with better program concepts in their SD selections. It's almost like the boundaries in the set theme frees them up to pick something that the rest of the pack aren't skating to.

But due to how confident they sound I'm sure the program will be a strong one and skated with attack and drama. I just wish they had used this year to try something different- they probably will do traditional/classical again next year since it's the Olympic year and they won't want to take any chances.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, I have to agree with this post. D/W are one of my favorite ice dance teams; but what's frustrating for me sometimes as a fan is that I feel that they have the capability to be much edgier or more avant garde programs than the musical selections for their FDs seem to indicate. (Charlie, in particular, is very conservative in his musical choices for them- Phantom is a prime example.) Most of their FD programs seem to be derivative of programs that have been done by others. They seem to think that they have success with epic/passionate FDs and so this year's musical choice is following along those lines. Not only is it something that A/P have skated to but when I was listening to the music it sounded a bit like W/P's French-vocal FD music from last season.

They have such an exciting and dynamic presence on the ice I wish that they would come up with fresher musical choices and program concepts for their FDs.

Oddly enough they seem to be more creative or at least come up with better program concepts in their SD selections. It's almost like the boundaries in the set theme frees them up to pick something that the rest of the pack aren't skating to.

But due to how confident they sound I'm sure the program will be a strong one and skated with attack and drama. I just wish they had used this year to try something different- they probably will do traditional/classical again next year since it's the Olympic year and they won't want to take any chances.

I do, generally, agree, but I do have to point out that this year is a year in which they are setting up for an Olympic year. They probably are reluctant to take a chance because if it didn't work out and V/M dominated them this year, that would set a bad tone going into Sochi.

I'm actually excited to see these programs. They sound the most excited they've been for a while :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The most important thing is that the skaters be excited about their own programs..only secondarily that judges and fans be excited...that was what Funny Face had going for it for Virtue & Moir. Tessa & Scott were excited it about it.

Sometimes that's what really matters most.

KKonas

Medalist
KKonas, thanks for the advance peek at the interview! I'm still a little confused by the choice of Giselle for the Yankee Polka. I am not quite seeing how it will be used.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to quiz M&C any more re Giselle (since I spent time on the FD) and had already taken up too much time in the teleconference. Meryl did say that Marina knew the Giselle ballet very well. Charlie added that it had the requisite music to incorporate a polka, march and waltz, which is what rhythms they apparently will use in the SD. I hear the March and Waltz aspects but not necessarily the polka, however I haven't listened to the entire score.

KKonas

Medalist
KKonas ..ah, I didn't say that D/W's tango was not a really good representation of an Argentinian tango , choreographically. I've always had a high opinion of Igor's tango choreography... best on the ice , in my estimation.

I just say that D/W's expression was for me ,imposed from the outside , not emanating from the inside ..so no matter how well they executed the dance ,technically, there was something noticeably lacking , for me.( more so on Charlie's part ).

I have some photos that show a more passion that perhaps was not readily seen from the audience or in YouTube videos. But of course one has to project to the farthest corner of the arena, and that's probably what Charlie needs to do better.

ETA: re: your work...I knew you seemed very knowledgeable..;):biggrin:

I worked as Director of (Skating) Research for television from 1990 to 2000. Interesting note is that David Raith, now Executive Director of USFigure Skating was my boss at the 1994 Goodwill Games. He was the head of the television network's presentation of the Games.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121005&content_id=39497336&vkey=ice_news

Icenetwork has now reported on the videoconference.

At some point, they will put up video or audio of it, if things are like last year.

A part of the article

"It's music Charlie and I have loved for years and years, and we've always wanted to skate to," she said in an interview last month. "We've always had a special place in our hearts for it. Marina [Zoueva] said this was the year, and we jumped at it ... It has depth we haven't reached in the past. I'm thrilled to hear it played in our rink.

"Almost all of our elements are totally fresh for this program, and we've worked to make sure [those elements] are part of the story and evoke the feelings of the music."

They verify that they are using the first act of Giselle for the SD.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, those won't surface as a video, likely.

AFAIR, do they ever do anything but fluff stuff from champs camp?

nylynnr

On the Ice
Some of the quotes/info Lynn uses are from her interview at Champs Camp.

The IN interview is from four different sources: 1. Champs Camp interview 2. Private interview with Meryl and Charlie 3. Interview with Marina 4. Teleconference. This is indicated in the article.

Re: "fluff" Champs Camp, there were five (non-fluffy) stories posted on IN, based mixed zone interviews and private interviews. I think additional (maybe fluffy?) material was posted on USFS website.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121005&content_id=39497336&vkey=ice_news

Icenetwork has now reported on the videoconference.

At some point, they will put up video or audio of it, if things are like last year. ...

Thanks for the article, Doris.

Super-small note:
Maybe audio only can eventually be posted? USFSA had tweeted about a media "call" and the IN article called it a teleconference (which to me implies an old-fashioned telephone conference call). KKonas would know.

And thanks, KKonas, for your original reporting on the media availability and for sharing your interesting professional background. :cool:

BTW, never got around to adding the following little postscript at the time of Champs Camp :laugh::
Not only had Rutherford tweeted, "I have learned to never stand between ice dancers and their chosen time to announce their music," but also Charlie White's mother had tweeted right back, "You're a smart woman, Lynn :)".

samson

Medalist
So it's finally happening. Charlie is going to fulfill the prophecy of being the second coming of Gwendal Peizerat.

Meryl is a TOTAL Giselle in my mind. I think it's a really smart choice for their SD.

I'm still disappointed none of the top teams are skating to Hoedown by Copeland. I don't know if that would have been the wrong kind of music, but the other day I watched some old Polka compulsories to that music, including D/W and V/M and it fit just PERFECTLY.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re: "fluff" Champs Camp, there were five (non-fluffy) stories posted on IN, based mixed zone interviews and private interviews. I think additional (maybe fluffy?) material was posted on USFS website.

I think that the original question from Doris might have been whether any non-fluffy VIDEO from Champs Camp had been posted this year.
Although I recall IN non-fluffy text stories, off the top of my head, I don't remember any non-fluffy video? At least nothing of any length?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am a sucker for videos, and failing videos, audio only recordings. So yes, that was it.

KKonas

Medalist
To be frank, I was a little tired of this business of not announcing D&W's FD when they had already shown it at Champs Camp and it was apparently "approved" by USFS.
I can understand keeping it quiet until Champs Camp, but really, not after. I joined the teleconference a few minutes late, but I don't think anyone had previously asked about their FD, (perhaps Lynn can correct me) so as soon as I could I simply asked if they were skating to Notre-Dame de Paris. There were 14 people on the call, but only a few of us actually asked any questions.

nylynnr

On the Ice
There were questions prior to your joining the call. I think some reporters took the "one question and limit yourself to one follow-up" seriously, so perhaps some did not ask quite as many questions about the FD, as they would have otherwise.

Re: not announcing programs sooner - I don't know why Davis and White preferred to keep their FD choice under the radar. However, as we all know, there are instances (including this year, although not involving Davis and White) when programs shown at Champs Camp are later scrapped/revised after feedback is received. So, some skaters may prefer to wait a few weeks after Champs Camp, and then additional monitoring of the new program, to announce music. That's the only reason I can think of, anyway.

KKonas

Medalist
There were questions prior to your joining the call. I think some reporters took the "one question and limit yourself to one follow-up" seriously, so perhaps some did not ask quite as many questions about the FD, as they would have otherwise.

Re: not announcing programs sooner - I don't know why Davis and White preferred to keep their FD choice under the radar. However, as we all know, there are instances (including this year, although not involving Davis and White) when programs shown at Champs Camp are later scrapped/revised after feedback is received. So, some skaters may prefer to wait a few weeks after Champs Camp, and then additional monitoring of the new program, to announce music. That's the only reason I can think of, anyway.

LOL! I will admit to asking more than a few questions, causing Renee Felton, the moderator to try to censor me, but since it appeared that I was the last one to get to ask a question, I decided to ask as many as I could.

I didn't get to ask why their bio listed a Frank Sinatra medley for the FD and, if true, why they changed it. Perhaps I will get that chance at SA.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmmm a Frank Sinatra medlay at the very least would have been a departure for them. Oh please, we do not need Charlie to be a Gwendal. Charlie needs to be a Charlie. Besides Anasinna and Pezerotl are far more dramatic than Charlie and Meryl who are more subtle. I don't think Meryl is diva enough to be Anasinna