Plushenko ready for 'big' Olympic fight | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko ready for 'big' Olympic fight

seniorita

Record Breaker
And when Mishin says his goal is for Plushy to "crush and destroy all enemies" does he he really mean it :eek:

What is he thinking of doing - mayber unning a few of Plu's competitors over with the zamboni :biggrin:

Yes a zamboni driving license wouldnt hurt I guess;)

bestskate8

On the Ice
And when Mishin says his goal is for Plushy to "crush and destroy all enemies" does he he really mean it :eek:

It is amaizing how much Plushenko trust Mishin and does exactly what Mishin orders to do.
He just did two quads, 3a and level 4 steps, both steps with +GOE, spins level 2,3,4. Not bad at all for 29 yo guy. He will fix his second 3A and triples by RN.

bestskate8

On the Ice
And regarding "big olympic fight", he will fight only for gold medal, nothing else is his goal in Sochi.
Fans will be happy to see him on a podium, but Plushenko see himself only on a top step. Can he do it, only god knows and judges. :laugh:

imho

It'll be exciting to watch him in action, won't it? If his attitude is what keeps him going so magnificently, then I can't fault him. Two quads, heavens above! When I think of all the headcases, male and female, in skating these days, and all the inexperienced youngsters who don't yet have a consistent rhythm going, I'm thrilled to see someone with Plushenko's self-assurance (and the goods to back it up!) still making waves in the skating world.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That doesn't make it right and left a very sour taste in everyone's mouth. Esp. when he went to the top step of the podium before moving to the 2nd place step. I was just appalled..and the platinum medal thing on his website...ugh...he makes me want to barf. It was almost as bad as when Surya Bonaly removed her medal at worlds after losing to Yuka Sato.

Wait,wait my friends! I think you believe in your hostile media!!! Plushy's american fans remember the constant and saturation-level vilification of Plushy in American mainstream media- one of the most powerful machines in the world- not so long ago. And it's not even just Plushy although it was particularly bad against him in 2010. This is the "UGH",and same, my friend, because they hadn't accuracy informations!!! Evgeni has not given himself platinum medal on his web-site his fans gave him from all over the world, who supported him and fought for him with the ISU, and everywhere on the Net, etc. I think this is the the origin of the platinum medal: his wife said after the competition, one silver and one gold= platina, and his fans liked it, and wrote everywhere. Probably one of the administrators was very enthusiastic, and outraged, and she made that mistake. Evgeni was very surprised when he found out, and immediately threw down. We know this, because we read every day his site, we followed the events through, you believe me. He is great guy, he is always sincere..

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0022304673.html)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... enko_N.htm
By NANCY ARMOUR The Associated Press Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Agent: Plushenko isn't creating new Olympic medals

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Evgeni Plushenko isn't awarding himself a new medal. Or creating one, for that matter.

Reports Tuesday said a picture of the Olympic silver medalist's latest prize was labeled "platinum of Vancouver" on Plushenko's official Web site. His medal from the Salt Lake City Games was properly identified as silver. But agent Ari Zakarian said no one had authority to do this "stupid thing," and Plushenko himself was not aware of it.

There were no labels beneath the pictures of Plushenko's three Olympic medals as of Tuesday afternoon. The Russian also has a gold from the Turin Olympics.

"It's absolutely a mistake. Evgeni has absolutely no idea about this. Absolutely no idea," Zakarian said. "Nobody from our team is awarding a platinum medal."

Plushenko, coach Alexei Mishin and even a few Russian politicians were furious with the results of the men's competition. Plushenko, the heavy favorite, finished second to American Evan Lysacek despite being the only top contender to land a clean quadruple jump.

"Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know," Plushenko said afterward. "Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

But the overall quality of Lysacek's program was better, and the reigning world champion got bonus points for doing five of his eight jumping passes in the second half of the program.

The drama has hurt Plushenko's reputation, with critics saying it's in poor taste and the three-time world champion should be letting Lysacek enjoy his moment.

Plushenko just wants to move on, Zakarian said, and incidents like Tuesday don't help.

"Of course he's sad. He wanted to do his best," Zakarian said. "But it's past, it's done and he's looking forward to the next competition. This is history. It's over."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=4939878

But the Russians gave him a gold medal: on March 24, 2010 Siberian jewelers decided to award Plushenko a special medal weighing more than half a kilo of pure gold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Puq0TDe30

Last edited:

Living on the Edge

Spectator
""Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know," Plushenko said afterward. "Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

Whether he had anything to do with the platinum medal or not, that quote right there shows his attitude. He lost on his own strength (technique) and refuses to admit it and will hold it against Lysacek probably forever.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Well it seems they took his words seriously then cause now two quads in Lp is the trend. :laugh:
Plushenko stated his opinion for the level of competition, he may hold it again RF for not politicking enough or the specific judges but against Lysacek personally and forever because he didnt have the quad?
Personal opinion is that if he has continued to compete he must have left these behind, otherwise it is hard to get motivated again.

bestskate8

On the Ice
Wait,wait my friends! I think you believe in your hostile media!!! Plushy's american fans remember the constant and saturation-level vilification of Plushy in American mainstream media- one of the most powerful machines in the world- not so long ago. And it's not even just Plushy although it was particularly bad against him in 2010. This is the "UGH",and same, my friend, because they hadn't accuracy informations!!! Evgeni has not given himself platinum medal on his web-site his fans gave him from all over the world, who supported him and fought for him with the ISU, and everywhere on the Net, etc. I think this is the the origin of the platinum medal: his wife said after the competition, one silver and one gold= platina, and his fans liked it, and wrote everywhere. Probably one of the administrators was very enthusiastic, and outraged, and she made that mistake. Evgeni was very surprised when he found out, and immediately threw down. We know this, because we read every day his site, we followed the events through, you believe me. He is great guy, he is always sincere..

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0022304673.html)
By NANCY ARMOUR The Associated Press Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Agent: Plushenko isn't creating new Olympic medals

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Evgeni Plushenko isn't awarding himself a new medal. Or creating one, for that matter.

Reports Tuesday said a picture of the Olympic silver medalist's latest prize was labeled "platinum of Vancouver" on Plushenko's official Web site. His medal from the Salt Lake City Games was properly identified as silver. But agent Ari Zakarian said no one had authority to do this "stupid thing," and Plushenko himself was not aware of it.

There were no labels beneath the pictures of Plushenko's three Olympic medals as of Tuesday afternoon. The Russian also has a gold from the Turin Olympics.

"It's absolutely a mistake. Evgeni has absolutely no idea about this. Absolutely no idea," Zakarian said. "Nobody from our team is awarding a platinum medal."

Plushenko, coach Alexei Mishin and even a few Russian politicians were furious with the results of the men's competition. Plushenko, the heavy favorite, finished second to American Evan Lysacek despite being the only top contender to land a clean quadruple jump.

"Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know," Plushenko said afterward. "Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

But the overall quality of Lysacek's program was better, and the reigning world champion got bonus points for doing five of his eight jumping passes in the second half of the program.

The drama has hurt Plushenko's reputation, with critics saying it's in poor taste and the three-time world champion should be letting Lysacek enjoy his moment.

Plushenko just wants to move on, Zakarian said, and incidents like Tuesday don't help.

"Of course he's sad. He wanted to do his best," Zakarian said. "But it's past, it's done and he's looking forward to the next competition. This is history. It's over."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=4939878

But the Russians gave him a gold medal: on March 24, 2010 Siberian jewelers decided to award Plushenko a special medal weighing more than half a kilo of pure gold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Puq0TDe30

:laugh:

Platinum medal doesn't exist in FS, Plushenko can call his silver medal whatever he wants, same as his fans. US media can't dictate what to do, to fans, to webmaster or to anyone else. End of the story.:p
Zakaryan should keep his mouth shut, his stupid excuses created false impression. It wasn’t bright of him.
Mr. Putin, Russian president told Plushenko: “Your silver medal is real gold for us”. Russia didn’t want to claim second gold, as Canadian did in 2002, even crowd messages were given at the very top level in Russia, you can't foolish millions of Russian viewers (US media forgot about viewers from other countries).:popcorn:

Then Plushenko fans, his wife called his silver medal not silver, not gold (like Putin), but platinum for them, because of his huge achievements at three Olympic Games.
You can’t fix questionable judging by using media attacks, only naive will buy it.

As Russian say: " If you want to protect yourself start attacking first", that is exactly what US media did to protect Lysachek gold medal.

gmyers

Record Breaker
A part of plushenkos immediate reaction was to blame the system and not the skaters. He did not like what happened and said so but it really is behind him at this point. His goal is Sochi now and the system changes with regard to point values of quads and less penalty for failure now you have senior b and junior grand prix winners doing quads. And almost all of them are younger and healthier but he is going for two quads now and as an effect needs frontloading so he may get beat again even if he is clean by someone with two quads and backloaded 3 Axels. But they may not have his drive to win in Sochi.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If his goal is Olympics, which is, if he gets beaten in the competitions before Sochi it will only make him good, actually that was my objection with Euros 2010 that they didnt send him a message for his programs. He wont get harmed by losing to several people at Euros and Worlds, this might be a feedback, his motivation and wake up call a la Chan:) Especially at Worlds that wont win anyway but it is better cause I believe in the curse:laugh:

bestskate8

On the Ice
A part of plushenkos immediate reaction was to blame the system and not the skaters. He did not like what happened and said so but it really is behind him at this point. His goal is Sochi now and the system changes with regard to point values of quads and less penalty for failure now you have senior b and junior grand prix winners doing quads. And almost all of them are younger and healthier but he is going for two quads now and as an effect needs frontloading so he may get beat again even if he is clean by someone with two quads and backloaded 3 Axels. But they may not have his drive to win in Sochi.

We shall see, if there will be some one with two quads and backloaded 3axels in 18 month time, plus Plushenko's psc.

bestskate8

On the Ice
If his goal is Olympics, which is, if he gets beaten in the competitions before Sochi it will only make him good, actually that was my objection with Euros 2010 that they didnt send him a message for his programs. He wont get harmed by losing to several people at Euros and Worlds, this might be a feedback, his motivation and wake up call a la Chan:) Especially at Worlds that wont win anyway but it is better cause I believe in the curse:laugh:

Plushenko wake up call was in Vancouver, since then his programs are much better of course to his limits;)

In Japan he got standing ovation even with the fall.

janetfan

Match Penalty
A part of plushenkos immediate reaction was to blame the system and not the skaters. He did not like what happened and said so but it really is behind him at this point. i.

Evan was very clear about this - he said backstage Plushy congratulated him, shook hands, was a good guy and a good sport.

If Plush said a few things afterwards to the press - who can blame him. He was so close to being "like Dick Button" and to finish second in such a close decision- which he felt he won - had to be more disappointing than most of us could ever realize.

I sure hope he is at Sochi - healthy and prepared to give his best.

What more could any skating fan hope for than to see a legend at his last event putting it all on the line. And if that is not dramatic enough we get to see this happen on his home ice.

This will be so good even NBC should be able to make something special out of it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Of course he would get SO with a fall, it was a bonus to see him falling on a 2A:laugh:
Japan fans is not the measure though when it comes to Plush

bestskate8

On the Ice
Of course he would get SO with a fall, it was a bonus to see him falling on a 2A:laugh:
Japan fans is not the measure though when it comes to Plush

Well actually they are perfect the measure, I wouldn’t underestimate Japanese fans, they are the most knowledgeable one.
You would think British audience not knowledgeable, but they gave him SO too, which was surprise to me. It was like they were waiting only for Plushenko to skate. Do you think British wouldn’t give him SO with one fall, I doubt. Two British ladies, who were seating beside us, told me, they brought Russian flag just for Plushenko.:cool:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well actually they are perfect the measure, I wouldn’t underestimate Japanese fans, they are the most knowledgeable one.
I dont underestimate them,on the contrary, I only said it because I know he is very popular there and they go crazy about him. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You would think British audience not knowledgeable, but they gave him SO too, which was surprise to me. It was like they were waiting only for Plushenko to skate. Do you think British wouldn’t give him SO with one fall, I doubt. Two British ladies, who were seating beside us, told me, they brought Russian flag just for Plushenko.:cool:

I'm not surprised, Tomas Verner: " it's without mentioning of Evgeni Plushenko - probably the only one skater in the world, capable alone to filed full arena. "

Just remembered, after Torino he was very popular in UK, Ari, his agent has organized some shows in UK. But Plush has canceled because he choose the Tv show, where he worked like a presenter of the show. And Victoria Beckham would have paid him 1,000 pounds per hour, if Plushy teaches to skate her boys..

Look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsEpvr0_eV4 or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6WJ6O0wB8

from 12:50

one of the british ladies on small medall ceremony:

- Would you marry me? :)

Plushy:- What your name? Well.... "I am married... It's good that my wife is not here. ...THX! :)))))))))) :rofl:

Last edited:

yaya124

On the Ice
Plushenko wake up call was in Vancouver, since then his programs are much better of course to his limits;)

In Japan he got standing ovation even with the fall.

Why not, although with a fall, it is still a well performed program, very elegant. And he did two quads and a beautiful 3A:biggrin:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
""Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know," Plushenko said afterward. "Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

Whether he had anything to do with the platinum medal or not, that quote right there shows his attitude. He lost on his own strength (technique) and refuses to admit it and will hold it against Lysacek probably forever.

If Plush would have been alone in his opinion, then I should say, you're right. But a lot of people, FS experts, coaches, skaters agreed with him and supported him. And Plushenko won the war, the ISU has changed the rules.
And he had never attacked Evan personally, and he didn't say the quad is everything, he said few points of the difficult jump. Evan said about Plushy he is a great guy even after Vancouver, and he also said in this spring, that Plushy is the best skater in history. Maybe he was polite, but i don't think, that he would say, if he doesn't think it, in this situation.

Plushy and Evan in October of 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1M0rm2T79s&feature=relmfu

Last edited: