Mao Asada | Page 202 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

Nocturne

On the Ice
I'm wondering if Mao could somehow turn her Bach EX into a short program for next season.
It was highly praised and I dont see how the judges could continue to give her low PCS for such a program.
But maybe it would lose it's charm when put under all the rules of a short program...

dia

Rinkside
Mao has announced 10 minutes ago that she decided to end her career.
:(
So sorry:sad21:

Last edited:

berry8

Final Flight
:( I hope you will be fine!
I will never forget your amazing programs :(

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I am so sorry to hear this.
Mao, Thank you for your magnificient programs and performances and good luck & much happiness in your post competitive career too! :)

Barb

Record Breaker
well, she tried, too bad the injuries, the ISU system and the bad luck. She is and always will be my favorite figure skater. I LOVE YOU MAO.

gladiolusc

Medalist
Rough trans. Thank you Mao!

Although it’s sudden, I, Asada Mao, have decided to end my competitive career. I think I have been able to skate for so long, and overcome so many things up until this point due to the support from many, many people. I have been able to bring my best performance and results at the World Championships in the Sochi Olympics season. Had I ended it then, I might have been wondering about returning as a competitive figure skater even now. Actually, there were many things I wouldn’t have known had I not tried to go back to competing. After I returned to competition, I wasn’t able to bring the performances and results I had hoped for, and troubling things increased. Then, after Japanese Nationals last year, the goal that had supported me until that point disappeared, and my energy to continue as a skater was gone. It was such a decision, but I have no regrets in my figure skating life. This was a big decision to me, but I think it’s still just one point in my life. I want to find new dreams and targets for the future, and keep moving forward without forgetting to smile. Everyone, thank you so much for your support until now, truly, thank you.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1805741.html

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Thanks @gladiolusc!

Mao, I can't fully say how much I love you, respect you.. our Japanese have watched over you since you were a adorable and innocent girl and our hearts were always with you. I don't know any athlete who is loved by everyone than you. You kept fighting despite of so many hardships and your attitudes are just respectable. I have no words now. Thanks for your wonderful and memorable performances so far.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
10 April 2017 is the day figure skating dies.

I honestly need a break from work to binge-watch Mao skating 24/7.

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It's so sad to finally discover Figure Skating just as one of its brightest stars is going to retire. Her Sochi LP was the first ever video of hers I watched and it was so emotionally gripping I actually cried and I didn't actually know much about her before watching it.

Good luck in all your future endeavors, Mao.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
NOOOOOOO April 1st was over a week ago!

;_;

sarama

Medalist
On one hand I'm glad she isn't going through the bloodbath that next season is going to be (especially for the Japanese ladies). On the other​ hand I can't help but think this isn't the way she wanted to end her career: she was so sad with how this season went that I had hoped she would have another competitive moment that would make her leave the sport 100% proud of herself. And she should be regardless of any competitive results: her career wasn't the smoothest and yet she fought every step of the way, she NEVER compromised her skating just to get more points or to win easily, she has been an inspiration as a human being and as a skater, and I truly hope she knows this in her heart and that she realises how thankful we all are in her regards.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Plumededragon

Medalist
The news surprised me but it does make sense. Her body couldn't handle it (with all the sickness and injuries), and it ended up affecting her will to compete.

As sad as it is, she's being reasonable. I wouldn't want her to hurt herself further and become sad, she wants to have new goals in life. Maybe she'll do some coaching or something? Akiko, Nobu, Daisuke, Miki... they're all involved in skating in different ways. I'd love to see her doing the same. Hopefully, she will.

Thank you Mao!