Mao Asada | Page 109 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think people are just unsure about Madame Butterfly because it's the first outing, if Mao is consistent I'm sure it'll really grow on all of us.

It was a very lovely performance, really missed that smoothness and lightness across the ice this past season but as soon as Mao started, wow lovely skating skills. That performance was better than anything I've seen in 2014-2015 season, no doubt about it and this is only something of a warm up for Mao. Loved the arabesque past the judges, the step sequence looked so easy for her but it was still a level 4. What a fantastic return to competition.

Alba

Record Breaker
I had no idea that today there was Japan Open. :hopelessness: I'm reading that Mao was fantastic. :yay::cheer2:
I have to watch the video now.

inskate

On the Ice
During the competition somebody Tweeted that there was a bug sitting on Satoko and Mao, Javi Patrick and Shoma were all trying to get rid of it (Javi reportedly did it in the end :laugh: ) and now dotanba-muscle posted a photo of Mao discovering the bug:
http://dotanba-muscle.tumblr.com/post/130416070025

I think people are just unsure about Madame Butterfly because it's the first outing, if Mao is consistent I'm sure it'll really grow on all of us.

If the program is quite detailed, it can take some time for the skater to really gel with the choreography. Compare the Nocturne skated at The Ice 2013 with the Nocturne skated at the GPF or Worlds... Not only the emotional invlovement was on a different level, but the choreo was tweaked at some moments to work better with the music.

I think Butterfly looks great for so early in the season. :cheer:

Franklin99

Medalist
During the competition somebody Tweeted that there was a bug sitting on Satoko and Mao, Javi Patrick and Shoma were all trying to get rid of it (Javi reportedly did it in the end :laugh: ) and now dotanba-muscle posted a photo of Mao discovering the bug:

If the program is quite detailed, it can take some time for the skater to really gel with the choreography. Compare the Nocturne skated at The Ice 2013 with the Nocturne skated at the GPF or Worlds... Not only the emotional invlovement was on a different level, but the choreo was tweaked at some moments to work better with the music.

Exactly. Out of all the ladies who competed in JO, Mao was the ONLY ONE who hadn't had a chance to test skate in for a B-level competition prior to JO. Everyone from Gracie to Liza all had at-least two events where they were able to perform in front of Judges, giving them a chance to tweak and fine tune their choreo ahead of the JO event. And this is her FIRST live competition in over 18 months. When you stack all these vices against her, Her performance was SUPERB.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Honestly Skate America's Nocturne was already pretty brilliant but then she gave us Worlds Nocturne, I'm not too worried, she already did a fantastic job today. I hope that she gained a lot of confidence from this outing and that when the GPs start we'll see many more upgrades.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Well, these clips shows she's is capable of doing a real Lutz. In the program is another thing (it was definitely a ! here–some may even give it an e–but better).

Can't wait for this season and the program will get better and better.

Khoai

Match Penalty
Well, these clips shows she's is capable of doing a real Lutz. In the program is another thing (it was definitely a ! here–some may even give it an e–but better).

Can't wait for this season and the program will get better and better.
Yes, at least someone is understanding. I have no intention of bashing Miss. Asada, but I hope people look at their favorite in the most objective way.

She will get good scores as long as she lands most of her jumps.

I rest my case here. Goodbye.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Some posters try to put Mao down in any occasion, especially when she wins. But that's normal, a legendary, gorgeous and incredibly talented skater like her is always a big threat to her competitors. Haters must be desperate.

nieves

On the Ice
Imo ballerinas tend to peak in their late 20s, and I have the same feeling for Mao (fingers crossed). So excited for her this season!

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao moved my soul with her subtlety, sensitivity, floating like a butterfly through the travails of life with a marvelous arabesque spiral and an expressive spread eagle as she opens her arms wide to embrace the audience: desperate because she is the Butterfly whose husband has flitted away with nobody to take his place. She covers every corner of the rink as if she is skating out of the screen in three dimensions, especially in her desperate forward thrust at the beginning of her step sequence: a passion spurred by loneliness. Mao shows her versatility and flexibility with two variations on the Biellmann, one from the side out of a camel transitioning into a donut spin, and the other her beautiful tear-drop shaped Biellman near the end. She combines delicate lyrical expression with powerful execution as she prances and pirouettes from one skate to the next through rhythmic dance movements in her liberating step sequence. Her speed is deceptive as she floats quickly across the rink with few strokes or straight crossovers to build speed. She seems to soar all the way to the boards. Then, there is a suspenseful moment when you think she will collide before she turns to cruise smoothly to the other side.

I thought her triple axel (GOE +1) had nice height and distance and her 2A / 3T (+1.3 GOE) had more height and distance than last season with even more rotation and she handled the landing well on her triple axel. Furthermore, the delayed rotation, posture, symmetrical air position and beauty are unmatched in my opinion. She is getting close to correcting the edge on her lutz, since she earned almost the full base value (5.9 out of 6 points) with a better edge than her last season and better height and distance. Magnificent Mao!

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
Miss Asada did a good job, but to anyone saying she has fixed her lutz, I am afraid to say she has not.
(...)
She still gets ! call on home ice, so this means she might get e calls at international event.
Yes, at least someone is understanding. I have no intention of bashing Miss. Asada, but I hope people look at their favorite in the most objective way.

The issue with your "objective" way is that you are assuming that the state of Mao's Lutz is a fixed point and just because it wasn't as good in the competition yet as it was in the practice, it means that she won't be able to improve later on.

Nobody is saying that the one in the actual LP was 100% perfect, but it was a lot better than the one in the Olympic season, and better than the two Lutzes from the practice session about a month ago (where one was with a fall and one double-footed). From a skater who returned to full-time practice only a couple of months ago, that's a good progress. The fans never expected her to fix her jumps in a day; her coach said back in 2010 that it's a process that can take 3-4 years (and there were various issues that disrupted Mao's training through this time).

Some fans were following Mao's career since she was a junior, and pretty much heard it all throughout the years: "she's too old to get her 3T and 3S back", "she won't be able to jump 3A anymore", "her 3F and 3Lz are gone forever", and so on and so forth. This is why everyone is so tired... If you were there at JO 2010, where Mao managed to land only one cleanish triple and lots of people were saying that she's 100% done and should retire, cherry-picking about the Lutz is just kind of annoying. :laugh:

CarneAsada

Medalist
I'm glad to see my wonderful Mao back. And I didn't even need to sacrifice any goats for her to land 7 triples! I imagine when I get around to doing that, she will land a 4Lo.

Ultra

Rinkside
I avoided coming to this site because I knew the majority of posters would be nitpicking on one thing, and sure enough, it did not disappoint. When Ashley Wagner fixed her Lutz from e to !, she got pure encouragement.

If one looks only a few weeks back in this thread, it's basically "Asada will never improve her Lutz one degree because it's hardcoded in her DNA". But she did improve it, and predictably the critics moved the goalposts (as they always do when Mao improves). Derp derp derp!