Mao Asada | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

bebece

Rinkside
yeah nice to see you too gotoschool, it's been awhile, I've been using a different computer n forget my password

so who is Reiko Kobayashi?
her new coach? or someone from JSF?
i didn't ever hear any rumour about mao got a new coach

witcher

Match Penalty
She is from another planet. :shocked:
My Russian babies are in big trouble. :hopelessness:

gotoschool

Medalist
True that... I feel like her PCS should not be below 35 so the one she got here is a big disappointment when others can get more straight away. PCS scoring should be standard throughout all the competitions and not have some hand out huge ones which get counted while others are pretty grounded. But in FS for years now, despite the titles, the records and an olympic medal her PCS has never really been that high even with that WR at Worlds. Caro can get pretty damn high (but for those instances I can totally agree). 34 was the range she got in 2013. From what we saw she's definitely better than she was then. She better be scored properly at NHK (Satoko, too).

Lets see what she'll get tomorrow. I hope it'll be better than that 69 at JO. To those saying she was overscored there... just look at the other competitions and compare. She was definitely underscored.

Given the other top PCS scores on the Grand Prix, I think Mao's PCS score should be 36.5 or higher in the SP. Given the scores that were officially sanctioned internationally at the Mordovian Ornament in Russia, I think Mao's scores for such an SP performance should be 38.5 or higher. Given Grand Prix average PCS for other skaters, I think Mao should have 73+ and higher in the LP with a fairly clean performance or better and 76 or more compared to the scores at the Mordovian Ornament. The quality of her skating, interpretation, musicality and choreography and connection with the audience is largely being ignored by comparison. Just because Mao's scores haven't been that high doesn't mean they shouldn't be given all her intricate and seamlessly and gracefully executed transitions with fewer transitions to gain speed.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Loved her program, her costume, her seemingly effortless and natural elegance... it's so good to see her competing again, and her charming smile in the K&C...

Great start to the season, and once she gets this program polished... a new world record is within her grasp, and yet another world "first" for her: 1st ladies' SP over 80 points...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Given the other top PCS scores on the Grand Prix, I think Mao's PCS score should be 36.5 or higher in the SP. Given the scores that were officially sanctioned internationally at the Mordovian Ornament in Russia, I think Mao's scores for such an SP performance should be 38.5 or higher. Given Grand Prix average PCS for other skaters, I think Mao should have 73+ and higher in the LP with a fairly clean performance or better and 76 or more compared to the scores at the Mordovian Ornament. The quality of her skating, interpretation, musicality and choreography and connection with the audience is largely being ignored by comparison.
I thought the Mordovian Ornament scoring was nuts. I'm amazed those scores count towards PB's etc, and I think there should be some kind of official review... I don't want to see "Nationals" scoring in the Challenger Series...

Just my opinion :-D

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Mao did fantastic! I watched her SP right when I woke up and it put me in a great mood, which is hard to do in the morning :laugh:

CarneAsada

Medalist
By the way, I know Mao was just trying the layout to see what works, but Mao Chan please let go of the 3Lutz on the SP, you don't need it for another world record. However, I am ok with trying it for the GP circuit, but by worlds, let go of it Mao you can do.
NEVER. Mao, I want you to do ALL the triples! ALL OF THEM, AND WIN EVERYTHING.

Alba

Record Breaker
I have been busy today with work and Ruslena but I'm soooooo happy for Mao. Well done Mao.:clapper:
I loved her today and she looks in such a terrific shape. I can't wait to see her masterpiece tomorrow. :dance2:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Lol. Don't be greedy @Carneasada, she does not need that insane layout to beat this field.

I'm not sure she simply wants to beat her competitors and win things. She already has 3 world titles and won everything so many times. I think she simply wants to challenge herself and enjoy her skating to the best of her abilities. In the past I would not support this sp layout, but now I simply hope she can make it better and better. And I know she can.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mao's skating today was just wonderful! Loved everything about the program! It is hard to
believe that it has been ten years since she skated her magical Nutcracker.
She truly is a master at her craft, simply the best!

Sam L

Medalist
Great to always see longevity in this sport. That's why I admire the likes of Michelle Kwan and Mao so much.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
yeah nice to see you too gotoschool, it's been awhile, I've been using a different computer n forget my password

so who is Reiko Kobayashi?
her new coach? or someone from JSF?
i didn't ever hear any rumour about mao got a new coach

If you follow Mao's skating throughout the years, recall the year when Mao first win WC in Gothenburg. She left Rafael Arutyunyan prior to WC 2008, so she was without a coach during that championship. A lady from JSF accompanied her during the FS, that's Reiko. Reiko has been with Mao since she's in junior competitions. Later on when Mao moved to Coach Sato, Reiko also became an assistant coach working with the Sato team. So it's possible that Mao has been taking cared of by Coach Kobayashi since her return and hence listing her as one of the coaches. From the recent Japanese interviews with Mao and Coach Sato, it seems nowadays Mao doesn't train as much time with Coach Sato. I think it's because on the one hand, Coach Sato has a lot of students, on the other, Mao just doesn't need as much 'coaching' at this state. Another interesting thing is that from one of the backstage videos of COC yesterday (by Japanese TV) I seems to catch a glimpse of a male trainer (forget his name) who used to train Mao....which is interesting.