Mao Asada | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something about Mao's skating just makes me feel calm and at ease. I hope she can feel the same out there and deliver a performance to be proud of. Go Mao!!!!!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Hope Mao will let the others know that she came back to conquer!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Not her best, but there's still potential to move up a few rankings.

5. Mao Asada - 62.03 (28.68, 33.35)

gotoschool

Medalist
I hope Mao will come back strong tomorrow and skate great in her freeskate. Mao, just wipe today out of your thoughts and start with a clean slate. Remember your magnificent performance of Madame Butterfly at the Japan Open and run every move through your brain until it flows out of you naturally by second nature.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao did some of the most beautiful jumps I have seen her or anybody do in warmup. Her triple axel was gorgeous and really big: heavenly honestly. It got the biggest applause from the audience, but all the jumps were fantastic. She has it all and then some. She seemed to get a bit tense and tentative when the program started, which affected her commitment on the jumps. She just needs to relax and let her skates glide freely. There is a sequel to the Sochi LP - with a bigger triple axel- waiting in the wings if she can just set her mind free. I dearly hope she can find techniques to relax and focus.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
I am getting very nervous!! I just saw Kozu start fixing his figure skating shoe lace as he was called---did he get a time deduction!? I think the Sato team is not doing very well with mentally managing their athletes!! That was totally unnecessary and the Satos need to learn that they need to mentally care for their athletes and not just manage their technique.

Last edited:

petitebrie

On the Ice
2002 was also the year Mao started landing 3As, and she was being coached by Midori's old coach as well. She was also wearing Midori's dress during her 2004-2005 junior season, where she became the first (and only) girl to successfully land a 3A at JGPF and Junior World. I would like to think Mao wearing Midori's dresses was a symbolic passing of the (queen of 3A) torch.

That's lovely. :) Very symbolic indeed. This must be the other hand-me down. According to this blog there is quite a lot of borrowing between skaters going on.

paperhearts

Final Flight
I've been rewatching Mao's Sochi FS for good voodoo (and I still start tearing up as soon as she lands the triple loop) and all I want to say is good luck Mao! Regardless of where you place or what score you get, I will supporting you all the way. I do hope she had a great Free tomorrow, but as long as she's satisfied with her performance I will be okay. Best of luck, Mao-chan! ♥

Plumededragon

Medalist
I'm hoping for a LP à la Sochi 2014. No idea if it will happen, but she has what it takes to do it. She deserves to be on the podium, and I'm convinced she can still do it.
Go Mao! :cheer:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Sad to hear Mao's been feeling down in addition to illness recently. I'm sure she'll do a better job in the LP though. And even if she doesn't, I survived watching her 2010 NHK LP and her 2012 Worlds LP so I'm pretty sure I can survive whatever Mao-related disaster that might come in the future. More importantly, she will too.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Two mistakes though, she recovered well afterwards. That is the Mao we know!!! Currently in 3rd, kanako left.

bebece

Rinkside
yeiiii mao got 3rd place.
so is she going to world or not
they usually announce it at the end of national right?

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
yeiiii mao got 3rd place.
so is she going to world or not
they usually announce it at the end of national right?

She's going :) It's not announced yet, but I can't name anyone that would go in place of her

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulations to Mao for making the podium and getting 2nd place in the freeskate after missing the triple axel and being so down yesterday. Great that she battled back! It sounds a little like her 2008 Worlds LP. I never think it is all about scores for Mao, otherwise she wouldn't always challenge such a difficult and risky jump. She also has so many other beautiful expressive qualities that can never be quantified. As others have said, her triple axel will be back. She has landed it 3 out of 4 times outside of Japan this season. Considering what she has been through with her illnesses and fatigue amidst the pressure of so many competitions in a row, it's really encouraging that she was able to give her best freeskate since the Japan Open when it really counted with the pressure on after the disappointment yesterday in her SP. Mao will surely go to Worlds. I just don't know about the 4CC's.

Mao said something like this yesterday, "Experience teaches it is often important to exert power when one is cornered. I think I want to take this course in Tomorrow's free." She must have felt this way even more after missing the triple axel in the LP.

Last edited:

bebece

Rinkside
so japan had 3 spot for world
who is going? mao, satoko, rika?

when does fuji tv air this competition, in a couple hours?