Mao Asada | Page 151 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

musicfan80

Medalist
As long as Mao stays healthy and competes like she can, I can't see her not competing in the 2018 Olympics. Especially if the Japanese women have 3 spots.

I think if they stay healthy and keep doing what they are doing, both Miyahara and Asada will be fine. However, I have no idea who would take that third spot right now.

randomfan

Record Breaker
TSL posted a clip of Mao practicing on their facebook, titled "Mao Asada being unreal". Mao did a good 3F-2Lo and then did three 3As and landed them all nicely! It's great to see her practice session going so well. And also, Mirai's "Demons" SP music is the bgm which oddly fits so well with Mao's 3As (especially the last one). :love:

I'm devastated that I can't watch the short program but I'm hoping that Mao can perform well!

Edit: Seems like one of the 3As were shown in ioanna's post above. :biggrin:

By the way, here is the clip.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=859909027464400&id=281547475300561

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
It is 6:45 pm Thursday my time right now. I am saying goodbye temporarily to GS Forums, to YouTube, to Instagram, Twitter... until 11 am Sunday my time, after the ladies FS ends. I do this to not jinx the one skater I love and also because I just cannot stand the tension of watching the event or learning the results live. I will rejoin you in two and a half days. During this period I will use every free moment to visualize two perfect programs from my favorite skater and to transmit to her every bit of my positive energy from across the globe. Catch you guys later!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Can't wait to see her compete. There's no-one else left, who can skate with her kind of effortless elegance and lightness.

GO MAO!

Kelly

On the Ice
It is 6:45 pm Thursday my time right now. I am saying goodbye temporarily to GS Forums, to YouTube, to Instagram, Twitter... until 11 am Sunday my time, after the ladies FS ends. I do this to not jinx the one skater I love and also because I just cannot stand the tension of watching the event or learning the results live. I will rejoin you in two and a half days. During this period I will use every free moment to visualize two perfect programs from my favorite skater and to transmit to her every bit of my positive energy from across the globe. Catch you guys later!

See you later and hope we will celebrate when you come back.

gotoschool

Medalist
Just relax Mao and skate with great freedom, joy and inspiration and most importantly fulfill your own expectations and dreams and don't worry about anyone else.

Franklin99

Medalist
I'm hoping Mao has a slow and steady buildup to 2018 Olympics, much like Yuna did from 2006-2010 Olympics. Wouldn't want her to peak too soon ala the Russian girls.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Be yourself, Mao! We all love you, and believe in you. What i wish about her is just her happiness and hearlth. You've given us so many things so far, for many years since your are a child. Your pureness, beauty, passion and love for skate... All of them are treasures.
Now, just think about yourself and concentrate without caring others.
Go My Mao!. Put what you feel at the moment onto the Boston ice rink at FP! I'm just happy to see your smile.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
To me, Mao's SP this season has some of her best fluid motions and rink coverage with one of her very best step sequences so classy and acrobatic with the twirls and high leg kicks, two toe pick moves, and smooth sliding dance steps across the ice. The PCS scores make absolutely no sense to me because to me and my friends who like Mao's skating the best the several seconds a jump takes do not undermine the integrity of everything else to legitimize 8th place GOE. There were some very good skates, but to my eyes, even with Mao's mistake on the triple axel her PCS is still the best.

For Mao's performance in her LP tomorrow I thought it would be better to post this salute to her Madame Butterfly performance that I started to write but didn't finish because Mao's season still hasn't ended.

A lovely butterfly flew in again at the Japan Open
after flitting away for a season on a trip she had chosen.
Her wings were lavender sleeves descending gently towards the ice
Her eyes glided away from a distant gaze expecting paradise.
The blades of her skates carved sharp edges on an icy pond
like a keel making a wake that sang a plaintive song.
In your Lp, Mao, may your triple axel soar high into the air
as a bird twirling through the sky free from any care.
May the landing be as light as a swan touching down
with unruffled feathers on a lake without any sound.
May the loft of each jump lift you towards your vision
of the performance you pictured as landing on perfection.
May you move so many souls with expression words can never know
And end your flight back from paradise with a smile all aglow.

Last edited:

amazingMao

Rinkside
I watched the top 9 ladies SP, I still can't believe Mao got around 32 in PCS?!?! (there are 7s in components). For me, she is the most polished skater out there (skating skills and transition). But good thing, Mao still looks calm after her performance, which is good.

Wishing all her best in Free Skate. I want to see Madame Chocho again, like what I saw in last year's Japan Open.

lyndichee

Medalist
I can't help but be upset at the way they scored her 3A.

This is signaling to the ladies figure skating world that trying 3As or any harder jumps are a waste of time.

Let's say Mao did a lovely 2A as her first jumping pass instead. She would at the very least get 4 points for it. Instead with a 3A that got a UR (which I agree with the call btw) and the -3 GOE, she only get's 2.90 for the element. What is the point of trying it anymore? I think ISU needs to incentivize more skaters to attempt more difficult jump elements rather than gives them this little recognition for trying.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
It was frustrating seeing Mao nail her jumps in the warm up and then have problems during the SP :( However, I'm looking forward to her FS. I hope she pulls out some magical Sochi-esque performance :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I can't help but be upset at the way they scored her 3A.

This is signaling to the ladies figure skating world that trying 3As or any harder jumps are a waste of time.

Let's say Mao did a lovely 2A as her first jumping pass instead. She would at the very least get 4 points for it. Instead with a 3A that got a UR (which I agree with the call btw) and the -3 GOE, she only get's 2.90 for the element. What is the point of trying it anymore? I think ISU needs to incentivize more skaters to attempt more difficult jump elements rather than gives them this little recognition for trying.

the thing with Mao's 3A is that, it is a risky move, high reward and high risk. If Mao can do a good quality 3A like's say as good as Boyang's 4LZ, ISU will definitely reward her like they rewards Boyang.
Mao's 3A is absolutely not on the level of Boyang's 4LZ, mostly under-rotated, if you watch her practice unbiasedly. whereas Boyang's 4LZ, he can nail it 9 out of 10 times in practice, and once landed, absolutely clean.
do not wanna disturb any Mao fans here at all, just my observation of Mao's 3A in practice. take it or leave it all up to you guys.

edit: this could considered my repo of Mao's 3A condition in this competition.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Even with the odd PCS scoring and technical issues aside, I still loved the energy and full commitment she gave to the program! That landing of the 3Lo was scary and it's hard to maintain a landing like that (unless you're a Radionova :yay:) but Mao maintained it and was still smiling throughout. I loved her fabulous footwork as usual and my favourite part was her reaction right after the ending pose! For me, competitions in the U.S. tend to zoom in more to a skater's facial expressions and arm movements than other competitions. I really love when they do this, and it's even better on an artist like Mao. Her SP is fun, jazzy, flirty, and loads of fun, while her FS is very different, as a sad, quiet, elegant piece of music. The camera angle and the zooming in really emphasizes on those details really well. I hope that she performs well to what could possibly be her final Madame Butterfly! I'll be cheering for her! :cheer2: :love:

Last edited: