Mao Asada | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

yhmafan

Medalist
Here are some interesting performances by Mao on youtube:

Jupiter Mayumi Itsuwa + Mao Asada - AIKAGI (Japanese) a beautiful voice for a transcendent performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0ViHVFMns

A nice fan cam of Mao's 2012 Swan Lake at Cup of China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-BsmLKWS8

Fan cam of Mao's 2012 "I Got Rhythm" at Cup of China (about the longest Biellmann spin I have ever seen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzz1mI1CxWE

So beautiful. Mao is beautiful, and her skating as well. the video SO reminds me of Yuzuru’s The Final Time Traveler EX program (sorry kinda off topic).
But I promise It’s absolutely breathtaking (both his skating and the singer’s voice) just like Mao’s Jupiter :)

gotoschool

Medalist
yhma fan, I love Mao's beautiful, long arcing arabesque at the beginning of Jupiter. I will try to watch more of Yuzuru's performances, but I really like what I have seen so far. I can tell that Mao's spirit is skating along side him.

iceberg

On the Ice
yhma fan, I love Mao's beautiful, long arcing arabesque at the beginning of Jupiter. I will try to watch more of Yuzuru's performances, but I really like what I have seen so far. I can tell that Mao's spirit is skating along side him.

Hi gotoschool!!!! im so sorry i had been really busy the past days I havent checked my inbox. Please forgive me. :(

Please check your inbox too for me! :)

yhmafan

Medalist

I am glad that you think of him that way and yes, I also feel the same way ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
I have a question cause I don't remember well. Which jumps did Mao start re-working after Vancouver?

gotoschool

Medalist
I have a question cause I don't remember well. Which jumps did Mao start re-working after Vancouver?

CarneAsada wrote a detailed post on this topic on page 51 of this thread. Post #754. I know she worked on her 3 Lutz and 3 Salchow and getting enough flow out of her 3 Flip to put a triple loop on the end in combination, which she had before 2010. Also, she changed her 2A so she could put a 3T on the end. She also worked hard on improving her speed and skating skills. All of which paid off in a big way in her last season.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
CarneAsada wrote a detailed post on this topic on page 51 of this thread. Post #754. I know she worked on her 3 Lutz and 3 Salchow and getting enough flow out of her 3 Flip to put a triple loop on the end in combination, which she had before 2010. Also, she changed her 2A so she could put a 3T on the end. She also worked hard on improving her speed and skating skills. All of which paid off in a big way in her last season.

Yeah, I remember that post now. Thank you so much. :)
So basically all edge jumps. I'm asking because Yulia is doing the same.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CarneAsada has much knowledge!! A very good source of information. ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
Thanks again for the links, gotoschool. This has been done to death already but my view is that Mao's jumps in 2010 had nowhere to go but down. Moreover, if you look at her Olympic and World skates, her spins were getting a bit slower and her skating in general looked a bit labored compared to 2007 or 2014. But back to jumps. Her 3-3 started having rotation issues in 2008-09. I would have given credit for the 3-3 in her 2008 GPF SP but all the ones she did that season were near-underrotated and they were nowhere near her 2006 3F-3Lo combos in quality. Her flip itself declined to the point that she had to tweak it with Nagakubo before 2009 Nationals. She got it back to land 10 out of 12 triple flip attempts in the next 4 competitions, but the way she was doing it, she'd never have been able to tack a 3Loop on there again. Her 3A was at its peak in 2008-2010 consistency-wise but they weren't getting GOE because of the wobbly landing edge and poor distance/flow out. Her 3Axel in 2013 and 2014 was less consistent, but it had a solid running edge out and both height and distance. Her solo 3Loop didn't really need changes, but she was also trying to get a 3Lo-3Lo for 2010-11, so I understand why she would make changes there. The solo 3Toe was gone forever from her programs though she had to change her 2A to accommodate a 2A-3T. Her Salchow and Lutz obviously needed work as she neglected them for the 2009-10 season. In 2010-11 she initially was doing her old telegraphed Lutz where she'd peek back then flutz, then she worked on it so that it was more like her 2008-09 Lutz which would only get ! (this got worse later though).

I knew it would take time to rework her jumps, but I didn't realize how awful her GP outing would be in 2010. She actually pulled herself together somewhat by 2010 Nationals, a virtual miracle. By 2011 4CC I was already on board with her decision. A lot of improvements (in jumps, mainly) were already showing by then, but she had two major setbacks in the form of the 2011 earthquake, which interrupted her training and caused a change in the timing/location of Worlds, and her mother passing away. She lost her 3A for about 2 full years, but even during this time she was working on her speed and SS, getting back her 3-3 (landing it in shows and in practice in 2012), and improving her 2A-3T. It must have taken incredible patience and determination (and coaching, thank you Mr. Sato) to do all this reworking considering everything really only began to come together in 2013; take into account further improvements and getting over her nagging back pain and she only put out her best in 2014. Had she not done all this rebuilding, she would've maybe kept consistent 3Axel, 3Flip, 3Loop, 3Toe, and 2A, i.e. her Vancouver jumps, all very high but with little flow or distance so she couldn't up her BV through 3-3 or 2A-3 combinations or get the GOE she needed. She could have maybe added the 3Sal and 3Lutz but she wouldn't have had anywhere to put them in the LP (anywhere worth it at least). Going to Nagakubo in 2010 was possibly a mistake as Sato apparently disagreed with a bunch of his changes, but that's the only outright problem I see with her coaching choices post-Vancouver. Sato also made sure she improved her overall skating and the speed in her spins. In my opinion, changing her jumps was absolutely the right decision, and I only regret that she didn't have one more year to maintain and show herself at her 2014 peak.

This is the post.

gotoschool

Medalist
What are your top 5 SP and LP programs by Mao?

My top 5 are:

1. Rach 2 Sochi LP
2. Bells of Moscow Worlds LP 2010
3. Nocturne SP 2014 Worlds
4. Czardas LP 2007 Worlds
5. Liebestraum LP 2011 4CC and Fantasie Impromptu Grand Prix Final 2007 or 4CC 2008 (tied)

I had to go back and add one more because I couldn't decide for number 5.

There are many more l love, but then I would just be naming almost every one.

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay!

1. Nocturne (ALL OF THE CLEAN ONES. I LOVE THIS PROGRAM.)
2. Rach 2, February 20, 2014. (random note, but the FS was on my birthday, so....)
3. Fantaise-Impromptu, 2007 GPF.
4. Ladies in Lavender, 2008 Worlds.
5. Claire De Lune, 2009 WTT.

Honorary mention to her EXes of Jupiter, Ballade, So Deep Is The Night, and Caprice!

gotoschool

Medalist
Okay!

1. Nocturne (ALL OF THE CLEAN ONES. I LOVE THIS PROGRAM.)
2. Rach 2, February 20, 2014. (random note, but the FS was on my birthday, so....)
3. Fantaise-Impromptu, 2007 GPF.
4. Ladies in Lavender, 2008 Worlds.
5. Claire De Lune, 2009 WTT.

Honorary mention to her EXes of Jupiter, Ballade, So Deep Is The Night, and Caprice!

Since you named exhibitions invisible spiral

My favorites for these are:

1. Caprice
2. Por Una Cabeza
3. So Deep is the Night
4. Ballade

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
My top 5

1. Rachmaninoff 2 (Olympics)
2. Nocturne (Worlds)
3. I Got Rhythm (4CC)
4. The Bells of Moscow (Worlds)
5. Not too sure which one to pick but maybe Masquerade Waltz (Olympics)?

I liked her Swan Lake too but she rarely performed it clean.

minze

Medalist
My top 5

Nocturne
Rach 2
Claire de lune
Swan like
Liebestraum

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
1. Bells worlds 2010
2. Rach olympics 2014
3. Nocturne worlds 2014
4. SP worlds 2008
5. Por una cabeza DOI 2008

ok, it was a really difficult question, so many great performances.

gotoschool

Medalist

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Thanks so much plushyfan for your hardwork in posting all these videos and for showing such a great love for Mao's programs. It's really a coincidence because I just made a post at fsuniverse saying how impressed I was with Plushenko's 2002 Olympic LP in response to someone who had criticized it.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ive-the-1998-world-championships.94693/page-3 post number 80

you are very kind!!! Plushenko fans love Mao and Mao fans love Plushy. Plushy admires Mao and Mao admires Plushy. :yes:

Mangomango

On the Ice
Does anyone have link to the full Olympics event 2010 short and free? Just wanna experience the good old days with skaters like Mao and Yuna who really knew how to skate....