Judges for 2013 ISU Championships | Golden Skate

Judges for 2013 ISU Championships

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For link to ISU Communication No. 1763, "Judges Draw by number for ISU Figure Skating Championships 2013" (6-page PDF), click here:
http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1142

The PDF lists the nationalities of judges for each discipline at
- 2013 Europeans
- 2013 Four Continents
- 2013 Junior Worlds
- 2013 (Senior) Worlds
- 2013 World Synchronized Skating Championships
- 2013 World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It is worth to point out that at 2013 World (senior) Championships in Canada, no Canadian judge in men, ladies, and ice dance, only one Canadian judge in pairs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought the CoP eliminated political judging and cheating :rolleye:

And yet here we see ISU (and a few fans) acting as if it just ain't so. :)

Everytime I wonder if it is possible for ISU to look more silly they manage to top themselves.

Does this mean there will be limited Russian judges at Sochi ???
Do you believe in miracles ;)

And what about the tech panels? You know, the one's who can decide on a whim that two hands on the ice is NOT a fall

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Judges are still representatives of the federations as I understand it... the tech panel "belong" to the ISU.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Judges are still representatives of the federations as I understand it... the tech panel "belong" to the ISU.

True, and why do you suppose ISU kept the real power and abilty to control the outcome of competitions with themselves?

Was it this - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or was it the questionable integrity of the federations and their judges?

Either choice is enough to make skating feel unsavory in N. America.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
"number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,"

John Lennon
:cool:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Let's take a few random technical panel members, Judy Blumberg (USA), Maurizio Margaglio (ITA, but runs the FIN program), Mrs. Piseev (RUS) & Shae Zukowski (CAN)

All of them get paid to coach. Some of them get paid to choreograph. If some of their students are skating, how is it possible that they are not in a conflict of interest? And worse, is it not, when there are only 3 members of a panel. And the ISU does not give them a yearly stipend. They live on their coaching/choreographying/TV commentating/Finnish program running businesses, not on the ISU dime.

More, all of them will have their tastes and ideas influenced by the countries they grew up in, that they live in, and that they trained in. This is great when you have a sizable judging panel, but one does not have to postulate any crookedness to see that 3 is too few on a panel, given how wide a world this is, even in the small world of skating.

heyhey

On the Ice
Let's take a few random technical panel members, Judy Blumberg (USA), Maurizio Margaglio (ITA, but runs the FIN program), Mrs. Piseev (RUS) & Shae Zukowski (CAN)

All of them get paid to coach. Some of them get paid to choreograph. If some of their students are skating, how is it possible that they are not in a conflict of interest? And worse, is it not, when there are only 3 members of a panel. And the ISU does not give them a yearly stipend. They live on their coaching/choreographying/TV commentating/Finnish program running businesses, not on the ISU dime.

More, all of them will have their tastes and ideas influenced by the countries they grew up in, that they live in, and that they trained in. This is great when you have a sizable judging panel, but one does not have to postulate any crookedness to see that 3 is too few on a panel, given how wide a world this is, even in the small world of skating.

Doris - I agree with you with regards to the tech panel. It's numbers are too small and I would argue that even with the number being small - as a group they are not consistent given last year's GP series...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

Also, I think if you're married to a federation head, you should not be judging, let alone part of the tech panel.

nylynnr

On the Ice
What is rather interesting, is this is the final time we may see some of these judges, since judges at the ISU championships are selected and drawn according to the prior season’s participants. For example, there will be an Austrian judge at Worlds 2013 because there was a skater from Austria at Worlds 2012; however, there will probably be no skaters from Austria at Worlds 2013, due to the new TES requirements, so there will be no Austrian judges at Worlds 2014. This is true of several countries on the list. The main outcome of TES, apart from saving money and spectator time, is there will be a significantly more limited judges' pool, and many more of the judges will have "skin in the game" so to speak.

heyhey

On the Ice
What is rather interesting, is this is the final time we may see some of these judges, since judges at the ISU championships are selected and drawn according to the prior season’s participants. For example, there will be an Austrian judge at Worlds 2013 because there was a skater from Austria at Worlds 2012; however, there will probably be no skaters from Austria at Worlds 2013, due to the new TES requirements, so there will be no Austrian judges at Worlds 2014. This is true of several countries on the list. The main outcome of TES, apart from saving money and spectator time, is there will be a significantly more limited judges' pool, and many more of the judges will have "skin in the game" so to speak.

Thanks for the info - this is just so depressing - it's bad enough that we already have a small pool of judges and now this...hmmm if this is the case - they need to make this judges accountable and forget the anonymity portion - but I know that won't happen...and god knows how the team event in Sochi will be judged...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even if there are no RUS judges in Sochi, I'm sure there will be plenty of BLR, UKR, UZB, EST, AZE, KAZ, etc. etc. etc.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Even if there are no RUS judges in Sochi, I'm sure there will be plenty of BLR, UKR, UZB, EST, AZE, KAZ, etc. etc. etc.

:)

Nice to hear a response from a fan who knows the "deal" when it comes to fairness and the "politics" of figure skating.