Weir rearing to get back into 'dog and pony' show | Golden Skate

Weir rearing to get back into 'dog and pony' show

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When USA's Johnny Weir announced his comeback in February, many people believed it was just a PR stunt. This pre-Olympic year is full of announced comebacks, but as always, fans will have to wait to see what's really in store later this season.

More...

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for this! always interesting to hear a skater's perspective, and perhaps with Johnny, it's always a bit more interesting, at least IMO. I am so not into the glam fashion thing, but, I appreciate him in many ways, really loved some of his skating in the past, totally enjoyed his commentary at Nationals, really was surprised in a good with with Finlandia, and wish him all the very best with the rest of this season. Can't wait for SA and nationals....

clairecloutier

Final Flight
The world is a far more interesting--and fun--place with Mr. Weir in it.

I so agree! :) I just love his honesty and willingness to say what's really going on, good or bad. And I applaud his mission of trying to contribute to skating by bringing more fans and attention. He's right in pointing out how skaters work very hard for not very much return, especially these days.

The interesting thing about Johnny is that, despite how silly he gets with all the fur and glamour and crazy shoes--he actually is quite a serious and thoughtful person.

I so agree! :) I just love his honesty and willingness to say what's really going on, good or bad. And I applaud his mission of trying to contribute to skating by bringing more fans and attention. He's right in pointing out how skaters work very hard for not very much return, especially these days.

The interesting thing about Johnny is that, despite how silly he gets with all the fur and glamour and crazy shoes--he actually is quite a serious and thoughtful person.

OMG, you're so right and aptly said it! One can't help but being kept interested in JW!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Always nice to hear from Johnny! I am so glad that he is back competiting. For me it makes for a far more interesting season. I have always been a
fan of Johnny's skating and his fun personality is a bonus. GO Johnny!!

Butterscotch17

On the Ice

You are so right, and this is why I love Johnny.

I love how he tells it like it really is, and doesn't try to sugar coat it. Like how he said the stress and the nerves of competition is the most horrible feeling in the world - that's how I always imagined it to be from my experience playing other sports. I can't imagine the other skaters saying that, though, all they say is how much they love skating and love competing and love everything about it. Johnny tells the honest truth.

Whether he wins medals and makes the World team this season or not, I don't really care. I'm just happy to have the pleasure of watching Johnny skate and being entertained by his personality. As crazy as Johnny is (and I mean that positively :) ) I can't help but like him. Whether he is competitive for medals or not, it will make the season more interesting for me. Good luck Johnny!

noskates

Record Breaker
The world is a far more interesting--and fun--place with Mr. Weir in it.

I have to agree with you! I'm very impressed with the way Johnny has trained and especially with his reasoning for coming back to competitive skating. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. I wish him all the luck. While some may count him out, I believe he'll be a force to be reckoned with at US Nats this year. If he starts landing his quad consistently - watch out!!!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not funny people. Dog and pony show is highly inappropriate around Johnny Weir because you never can be sure what he will be wearing or who he will be wearing lol. But yes, things will interesting with Johnny. Maybe we can get some smack talking going between him and Evan or better yet a catfight over their costumes - I can see it now Vera Wang versus Taxidermis are Us. oh my there will be cat fur and sequins and bugle beads all over the place!

Not funny people. Dog and pony show is highly inappropriate around Johnny Weir because you never can be sure what he will be wearing or who he will be wearing lol. But yes, things will interesting with Johnny. Maybe we can get some smack talking going between him and Evan or better yet a catfight over their costumes - I can see it now Vera Wang versus Taxidermis are Us. oh my there will be cat fur and sequins and bugle beads all over the place!

>giggle< ....Taxidermies Are Us--good one! I'm going to be smiling over that for a good long while.

It's always possible that Johnny will show up very tailored and correct, so as not to give any judges an opportunity to mark him down. The guy is full of surprises. But whatever he chooses, I just hope that his skating is up to its best level, so that he and we will find his comeback a completely satisfying experience. At this point, he could be one of the best chances for America to put on a good showing in the world, because although he may not have a quad (or he may!), he has the polish and experience to rock the arena, whereas most of our current men are either inexperienced or woefully inconsistent.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I have to agree with you! I'm very impressed with the way Johnny has trained and especially with his reasoning for coming back to competitive skating. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. I wish him all the luck. While some may count him out, I believe he'll be a force to be reckoned with at US Nats this year. If he starts landing his quad consistently - watch out!!!!!

After watching the mens short at Skate America, it made me contemplate just how gifted this young man is. He put out a really good short after not competing for years. How hard is that? He also committed to doing the quad, which is so hard physically and mentally. I am so inspired!