Your favorite skating discipline and...why | Golden Skate

Your favorite skating discipline and...why

lulu

Final Flight
What is your favorite figure skating discipline? How would you rank the disciplines in order from most favorite to least favorite?

For me, it is very close between pairs & dance, and I tend to go back and forth between the two of them. Right now, I'm giving ice dance the edge. ;) IMO, ice dance forces skaters to experiment with a greater variety of music and styles than the other three disciplines, and not just in the o.d./s.d,. but in the free dance as well. I love to watch a well done and intricate ice dance (and pairs) footwork sequence more than an intricate and well done footwork sequence in the singles disciplines. I like ice dance costumes as well. :slink:

After ice dance and pairs, my next favorite discipline is mens and finally ladies.

:)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hmmmmmm it depends on my mood, top two are dance and men... then pairs... and finally ladies.

I've always loved Men's Skating, and when I worked on Gregory & Petukhov's official website (many moons ago) I got to really love Ice Dance. Melissa's mom was my "coach" in 2005 explaining what it was I was seeing. Fell in love with Compulsaries even though it was Midnight Blues for Nationals that year (worst. music. ever.)

lulu

Final Flight
It depends on what the compulsary dance was, but I learned to appreciate and even enjoy the compulsaries, especially if skated by an excellent team.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have always loved Pairs the best. Probably dating back to the first Olympics with Grinkov and Gordeeva. I think pairs is incredibly hard - trying to stay in unison, the danger of the lifts, the chemistry between the two skaters. Next would be Mens. Next would be Ladies and finally Dance. I love watching the top dance teams but getting to the top is grueling to watch. Sit through a Nationals with Juniors and Novice...........gahhhhhhhhhh!

lulu

Final Flight
LOL, ITA that Pairs skating is the most difficult & most dangerous of the four disciplines. When you consider the size difference between the male & female partner, the ability to stay in unison is even more impressive. :)

What a great question! Not that I can answer it. I love all four, and it varies depending on whether anyone really phenomenal is active at the time I'm asked. I liked pairs a lot more in the past, when Moskvina's pairs were at their best, and G/G still skated, and Underhill/Martini were shaking up pro skating. Last Olympics, I seemed to be transfixed mainly by ladies, but in 2002 men's was pretty riveting, and now with Dai and Patrick it is riveting again. Ice dance has fascinated me on and off from Torvill/Dean to Klimova/Ponomarenko, and then with Annissina/Piezerat, Denkova/Staviskiy, and the current Canadian and American champs, V/M and D/W. So there it is: totally fragmented personality, and I can't imagine becoming any more decisive in the near or distant future. But I'll be thrilled to hear everyone else's opinions.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I have to say that men's is my favorite. There seems to be a very deep field in the men right now, but I've always liked the Men's better than the Ladies', and I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the men's skating being more powerful and therefore exciting (IMO).

Pairs is my second favorite to watch. I didn't used to watch it that much, but I really love it now. There's just so much excitement with pairs skating, you're always on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next, because as someone already said, it is so difficult and dangerous. I like pairs because it is kind of unpredictable. Ice dance kind of is though, and that's why I don't like it as much. Don't get me wrong, I like ice dance, and the programs are beautiful and the footwork is amazing, but it just doesn't have that excitement factor that makes it as interesting to me. Others will obviously disagree, but that's my preference.

So, 1. Mens
2. Pairs
3. Ladies
4. Dance

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pairs - the most difficult discipline and the most beautiful to watch, I started loving figure skating because of it
Ladies
Men's
Ice Dance - although I am a bit familiar with it now, its still by far the easiest and requires the least effort
( and the easiest to predict the podium/winners )

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The discipline I follow the most is surely Ladies: I actually started watching figure skating because of Carolina Kostner so I first tried to learn about her competitors, and then approached to Men, Pairs and Ice Dance.
My chart is:
1) Ladies
2) Ice Dance
3) Men
4) Pairs
I love the artistry that you can admire in Ice dancing, and the hard jumps in Men, but I just like the top of the pairs, I find really boring watching the ones between 10-20 in the World...

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
My favorite would be Men. I like the Quads and Triple Axels and how competitive it is with the jumps.
Then ladies, then pairs.
My least favorite is ice dance. I'll watch it but it's like a 4 minute step sequence to me. :)

waxel

Final Flight
I love them all but I'd have to say in order of favorite:
Mens
Ladies/Pairs
Dance

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I also love them all, but find pairs to be fascinating. The unison, and also I have been on the ice when a pair travels towards each other at high velocity....and doesn't crash, but does a beautiful pairs spin. Really impressive.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
For me, I love dance.

It would be like this:

1. dance
2. pairs
3. synchro
4. ladies
5. compulsory figures
6. barrel jumping
7. hockey
8. short track speed skating
9. long track speed skating
10. theatre on ice
11. men

DianaSelene

Medalist
For me, I love dance.

It would be like this:

1. dance
2. pairs
3. synchro
4. ladies
5. compulsory figures
6. barrel jumping
7. hockey
10. theatre on ice
11. men

I love your list! :clap:

Cherryy

On the Ice
The one that I love the most is definitely ladies. Why? Ladies is in my opinion the most graceful discipline. I love to see inventive and really difficult spins. It's both hard and enjoyable to watch. I admire man for doing quads but is it really nice? Beautiful? Just look at the spins of Lucinda Ruh, Sasha Cohen, Caroline Zhang, Mao Asada, Yukari Nakano. :love:

I like both man and pairs at the same level. Man becuase they perform the most difficult elements and pairs because of the variety in their programs. They have throws, side by side jumps, 2 kinds of spins, death spirals and lifts, so it never gets boring :).

I really wanted to get into ice dancing but I simply can't :no: After watching one full event it gets so boring. Ice dancing is also easily predictable. I also don't think of it as the real sport. Sure you have to train a lot, but judging here is soooooooo much more subjective.

So the list would go like
1. Ladies
(huge space)
2. Man and Pairs
(huge space)
3. Ice dancing

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For me, I love dance.

It would be like this:

1. dance
2. pairs
3. synchro
4. ladies
5. compulsory figures
6. barrel jumping
7. hockey
10. theatre on ice
11. men

wait, you like the disipline you skate in the least?! :eek:

lulu

Final Flight
Stephane Bernadis is 5'8 (his partner is 4'10) Vadim Naumov is 5'9 (his partner was also 4'10) Robin Szolkowy is also 5'9 (his partner is 5'0). All of these guys are "short" by male pairs skating standard, but have had success in the sport. Of course finding a female partner between 4'9 and 4'11 might be more difficult, but probably not impossible.