Angela Wang | Golden Skate

Angela Wang

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Will she be skating as a senior this year at Nationals? Does anyone think she can knock a well known off a predicted spot?

skfan

Final Flight
yes, she will be a senior.

as for predicting, can we please wait til after the JGP final? or central pacific regionals? LOL

seriously, i appreciate your enthusiasm. you, me, and if i may count kwanatic among us, that means she's got 3 fans here on GS. is that critical mass--can we have our own fan fest thread? :laugh: can i start one for mariah bell as well? :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
yes, she will be a senior.

as for predicting, can we please wait til after the JGP final? or central pacific regionals? LOL

seriously, i appreciate your enthusiasm. you, me, and if i may count kwanatic among us, that means she's got 3 fans here on GS. is that critical mass--can we have our own fan fest thread? :laugh: can i start one for mariah bell as well? :)

We'll you'll definitely have to wait until the JGP final -- she has a bye to nationals because she qualified for that event.

Hey, I think anyone can start a fan fest thread. :) I wouldn't object! I like Angela Wang.

IleK

On the Ice
I'm joining the club:) I am glad skateluvr started this thread for Angela Wang. So, now she has at least 5 fans:)). I see you also like Ashley Wagner skateluvr, me too. I think Angela will do well both in JGPF and Nationals, although I dont expect her to win but I can see her taking the bronze. She is the best from all the american ladies that qualified for the final, at least in my opinion. I dont really like Hannah or Leah. They bore me, Angela is special. Now I am really upset that Samantha Cesario injured herself. If she was in JGPF the way I hoped her to be, she would also had a bye for nationals.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Great to see her skating getting noticed. Could someone more technical than me (everyone, lol) comments on her jump layout and what she might score if she had two clean programs at Nationals? I like her speed and flow, and I liker her quiet confidence. On her best day, what can she hope for given she is a junior making the transition? Thanks.

Also I agree she is the junior to watch, though i see good qualities in Hannah Miller, Leah Keiser, Hicks and Cesario from what little I've seen on youtube of the JGP. Angela is petite and I hope puberty monster doesn't get her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wang is 15. If she can keep it together for the SP, she has a good shot for (at least) the final group. Her LP was awesome at Nationals last year which pulled her up to 8th but her short was pretty rough. Same for her SP at JGP-LP. Her second JGP event was MUCH better, especially her SP. She has some great flow, her elements are VERY nice when she does them and she has a lot of potential.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Her relationship with Christy Krall has really helped her with her triple lutz-triple toe. She's one of the few lady skaters who hasn't gotten an edge deduction on either the flip or lutz. Her foundation is very strong, and I believe she's understands music. I'm excited about her future.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great to see her skating getting noticed. Could someone more technical than me (everyone, lol) comments on her jump layout and what she might score if she had two clean programs at Nationals? I like her speed and flow, and I liker her quiet confidence. On her best day, what can she hope for given she is a junior making the transition? Thanks.

Also I agree she is the junior to watch, though i see good qualities in Hannah Miller, Leah Keiser, Hicks and Cesario from what little I've seen on youtube of the JGP. Angela is petite and I hope puberty monster doesn't get her.

Angela skated SENIOR at 2012 Nationals and was 8th overall (she had a disastrous SP but a great FS). So she is not 'transitioning' to senior.

Angela turned 16 in July, so I think she is well past puberty.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wang could set herself up for a chance at Sochi with a strong performance at the JGP Final and then at Nationals. But the US needs to get that third spot back for that to happen. To many older experience skaters for her to make the team if we only have two spots again.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Angela skated SENIOR at 2012 Nationals and was 8th overall (she had a disastrous SP but a great FS). So she is not 'transitioning' to senior.

Angela turned 16 in July, so I think she is well past puberty.

It gets confusing when they are still doing JGP events if they are seniors. I did not see her skate last year. 8th does not get covered as you know in many places. She is new to me as this is first year I watched much of the JGP-the top ladies that is and the American men. BTW, 16 is by no means the end of growth or puberty and more than say 40 begins or ends menopause. But being a male, perhaps you don't realize these things are not tied to a number. :)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Watching Angela on the JGP this season, she has rocketed to the top of my list of skaters to watch. She has a lot of the qualities that draw me in. I love a good jumper but a good jumper with beautiful presentation, artistry and presence...there's nothing that beats that.

I really hope Angela continues this good momentum she has. She is fully capable of cracking the top 5 at nationals if she skates the way she's capable of skating. She is one of the few who has a clean and difficult 3-3 (3lz-3t) as well as all of the other jumps. Oh, and her jumps are pretty! Good speed, tight air position, fast rotations, nice coverage and neat landing positions. There is such a thing as being an ugly jumper...Angela has pretty jumps. Her two programs are probably the best on the JGP circuit this year in terms of concept, execution and packaging. Angela has that "ooze" quality Lori always spoke to Michelle about. There's a very nice and natural flow to her movements. She doesn't look awkward or forced nor does she look like she's thinking her way through everything.

Here's her LP from last year's nationals:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK_PE1vHGA
And her gold winning performances from JGP Croatia:

SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2qm--ZMWA
LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqvxzPuTHM&feature=relmfu

Gorgeous programs! :)

I think the only thing that will hold Angela back at nationals is the judges; barring a meltdown, Ashley and probably Gracie are going to get those two spots to worlds but I think Angela would do well at junior worlds. A strong finish at the JGPF and strong performances at nationals will definitely help her case. She's a special skater and I really look forward to seeing her continue to develop.

Country
Russia
Watching Angela on the JGP this season, she has rocketed to the top of my list of skaters to watch. She has a lot of the qualities that draw me in. I love a good jumper but a good jumper with beautiful presentation, artistry and presence...there's nothing that beats that.

She has choreo unlike Gracie, 3Lz+3T (and 3Lz+3T+2T) unlike Ashley.
Hope she will be great skater.

Last edited:

mars007

Rinkside
She has choreo unlike Gracie, 3Lz+3T (and 3Lz+3T+2T) unlike Ashley.
Hope she will be great skater.

Lol I couldn't agree more about choreography. Gracie's sp had at least 2 completely class-less moves and Kanako displayed just how one doors Spanish choreography with class. I like Angela too. I think she may fight for that second spot. I predict the second will go to Gao however. Hoping one goes to Mirai....

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like her as well. Her jumps look solid and very efficient (no mule kicks, URs, etc). I think she will have to really have a special moment to medal at Nationals because there's so many well-known skaters ahead of her. I don't know if she has enough of a "wow" factor to stand out from the pack. Fortunately for Angela, the second Worlds spot is anything but solidified and she's got as good a shot as anyone to grab it.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I like her as well. Her jumps look solid and very efficient (no mule kicks, URs, etc). I think she will have to really have a special moment to medal at Nationals because there's so many well-known skaters ahead of her. I don't know if she has enough of a "wow" factor to stand out from the pack. Fortunately for Angela, the second Worlds spot is anything but solidified and she's got as good a shot as anyone to grab it.

I don't know if she has as good of a shot as Gracie or Mirai (who I expect will be fighting hard for that spot, since it's not entirely clear why she was denied a second GP assignment when Gao and Flatt each got two). Ashley has at least an 80% chance of getting the first. Remember that Wang is still mostly untested, and when the other ladies skate clean programs, they are amazing.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know if she has as good of a shot as Gracie or Mirai (who I expect will be fighting hard for that spot, since it's not entirely clear why she was denied a second GP assignment when Gao and Flatt each got two). Ashley has at least an 80% chance of getting the first. Remember that Wang is still mostly untested, and when the other ladies skate clean programs, they are amazing.

I agree. I just meant that any of the girls except Ashley are fully capable of bombing.