2012 Skate America Men's Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Men's Short Program

Art&Sport

Medalist
Congrats guys! Hanyu and Kozuka were superb! Chan will be in trouble...

Chan will be in trouble if he continues falling, and Hanyu, Dai and Kozuka continue performing as well as they have at the start of this season. But Chan will I think still get love from the judges for his SS.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Quads are risky because they are difficult physically and mentally. They require a great deal of endurance and mental energy. The quad is not the actual name of a jump, it is only an extra revolution, so yes, the toe jump is the easiest jump in terms of difficulty, then flip, loop, lutz and axel. I doubt we will ever see a quad axel performed, and we'll certainly never see quintuple jumps -- physically impossible, IMO. I know that was likely said once about the 4-minute mile too. :)
Plushenko said, quad axel is possible, but quintuple jumps are impossible.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Chan will be in trouble if he continues falling, and Hanyu, Dai and Kozuka continue performing as well as they have at the start of this season. But Chan will I think still get love from the judges for his SS.
OK. But if Hanyu, Kozuka, Dai will flawless, and Chan will fall and however will win, will be a great scandal.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well, I'm glad that quintuple jumps are impossible. They should really try to work within the range of all the jumps and jump revolutions that exist and create intricate moves and daring choreo. They have aplenty to work with. Concentrate on perfecting consistency, technique, endurance and artistry.

Are there any more vids up yet?

Art&Sport

Medalist
OK. But if Hanyu, Kozuka, Dai will flawless, and Chan will fall and however will win, will be a great scandal.

Absolutely. That is exactly what I said earlier in this thread. ISU will not want to risk anymore audiences booing should the judges reward Chan with top of podium with falls, while Dai and others skate cleaner programs.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 95.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 85.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 77.71 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 75.78 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 73.32 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 69.26
7. Armin MAHBANOOZADEH (USA) - 68.27
8. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 60.48
9. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 58.79 Short Program
10. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 57.06

Here are the protocols

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Thanks Mao88. I still think Abbott deserved higher scores. Didn't he fully rotate the quad at the beginning of his program?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey everybody I just returned my hotel room after checking out the men's and pairs sp live tonight. Some thoughts.

For me the three Japanese men really brought it tonight. Machida was charismatic and skated a solid program despite not having a quad. He did a beautiful triple axel right in front of my section. And he did a great job expressing himself to the music. I think he took some tips from the Daisuke playbook!

I loved Taka's program. It had that quiet elegance perfect for his fluid performance. And I was so happy he hit all the elements especially after all the reports of bad practices. It was such a delight to see his soft knees in person. TV does not do that quality justice.

And Hanyu. Let me tell you, it was amazing to see it live. From the warmup you could see it in his eyes he was ready to bring it. He had a really high quality program. He hit all the jumps perfectly with beautiful transitions and at amazing speed. He got a standing o when he was done.

Do I think he was overscored? Maybe by a few points, but, he really presented a challenging program and I don't think he could have done it any better. I remember liking it when I saw the Finlandia video, but I loved it after seeing it live and seeing the intensity and energy Yuzuru put into the program.

Brian Orser ended up in the table next to me at the hotel bar so we end up striking a conversation. He was not surprised at Yuzuru's performance. He talked about how both sp and fs are very challenging for Hanyu, and that he has been working with Hanyu to do more run thoughs. He said that when he first met with Hanyu, he learned that he did not skate as much daily as someone wanting to be top caliblier competition should. But he pointed out that Yuzuru has been a gentleman, respectful and willing to learn. I think we all saw the fruit of that tonight.

He was surprised by the score. He said based on his performance tonight compared to Finlandia, he expected a score more in the high 80's.

On a lighter note, the topic of the Pooh tissue box came up and he said, "When he was not my student I used to make fun of that. Now I have to hold it." He said this in a good natured way. We all laughed. :laugh:

Bad night for both the Czechs. I liked Verner's program, despite the mistakes, there were things to appreciate. Brenzia's program did not do much for me, especially since. He made those mistakes despite not having a lot of transitions. His PCS was way too high for what he actually did.

Mensnov program was decent considering that I was expecting to be disappointed by a Piña clone. His 4T-3T combo was solid. Majorov was Ok - nothing really stood out.

I enjoyed Jeremy's program, he did a good job performing it! But his tech was not there; I've definitely seen him do a 3A much better. And he's had issues getting spins levels in the past, so the low TES did not surprise me. Armin had a respectable performance. I think he was hurt by being in the first group and a last minute replacement -- he wasn't even in the event program! I think he should have been ahead of Brenzina.

Anyway, it was a real treat to be there!

Mao88

Record Breaker
Brian Orser ended up in the table next to me at the hotel bar so we end up striking a conversation.

I am so envious! One of my heroes and he is doing a great job with Hanyu, as he did with Kim.

Hope your having a really great time

monikawi

Rinkside
I was also very fun Jeremy´s program. It's very musical skater and well choreography can perfectly sell.
The Japanese I liked best Kozuka. Yuzuru did well that changed the style. The rock he sits.
Menshov has a classic Russian poise and style of skating. All blond mens from Russia now will be compared with Plushenko :) He should change hairstyle ;) But it has a chance.

I feel sorry for Tomas :bang: He can do everything! A skate so beautifully! It floats on the ice! Why not sell the beautiful jumps in competitions! :bang:
Michal Brezina made ​​progress in steps and spins. And somewhere lost jumping certainty :sarcasm: Perhaps it again finds. And whether exchange costume.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT
Thanks for rounding them up! I've already written about Hanyu, so I'll skip him. As usual, this is with the caveat that it's not the same is seeing the performances live:

2. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 85.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy
Great skater, forgettable program. And that quad, in addition to looking bad, did not come out of steps. The judges need to start cracking down on this - guys, if you want an SP quad, do it in combo or do the steps. Fab spread eagle, does any active skater (bar Jonathan Cassar) do it better?

3. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 77.71 Short Program, 2nd Copy
I am all for skaters challenging themselves artistically, but this looked like Jeremy was skating someone else's program. It's not him and he doesn't seem to be making it his own. Atrocious costume and styling.

5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 73.32
Glad to see him skating well, but that is Robin and Aliona's music. Step away from the Pina soundtrack, please.

9. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 58.79 Short Program
Sad, in ever possible way. Where is the talented guy from 2007-9? Maybe he should go back to Huth; it worked for Carolina...

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I agree that Hanyu was terribly overscored while Taka was underscored. The difference between them should be not more than 3-4 points maximum. I don't get why for practically the same executed combo Hanyu got higher GOE than Taka. Also, his spins, being on better level than Taka's, were done slower and less impressive. Their step-segs as if of different levels is just a joke. As for the second mark, how good that they both performed eagles. Says a lot who is who in edges and SS. Taka's SP was elegant, emotional and mature. While Hanyu looked like a teen kid who were left home alone, found daddy's booze and decided to experiment with his elder brother's guitar, until social service knocked the door. The pace they chose for Hanyu is hillarious, it makes him look ridiculous and pathetic. Also, such an unfair score can alienate people against Yuzu, which is not the fate I would want for him. :disapp:

monikawi

Rinkside
Tomas Verner
Sad, in ever possible way. Where is the talented guy from 2007-9? Maybe he should go back to Huth; it worked for Carolina...

I do not think it helped :disapp: Huth could not teach him concentrated jump. In addition, Tomas surrendered after the first failure.
At least Emerson gives up. But stability of jumps him not learned.
Maybe he needed russian drill and especially psychologists. To Misin, Tatiana ... anywhere for someone hard.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Hanyu did pretty well, his jumps were well executed and I found his programs to be more mature
it really suited him and judges and audiences agreed

its really nice to see a new face that we can hope to dominate in the coming years
Yuzuru is a real talent, so there is no reason to deny it

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I agree that Hanyu was terribly overscored while Taka was underscored. The difference between them should be not more than 3-4 points maximum. I don't get why for practically the same executed combo Hanyu got higher GOE than Taka. Also, his spins, being on better level than Taka's, were done slower and less impressive. Their step-segs as if of different levels is just a joke. As for the second mark, how good that they both performed eagles. Says a lot who is who in edges and SS. Taka's SP was elegant, emotional and mature. While Hanyu looked like a teen kid who were left home alone, found daddy's booze and decided to experiment with his elder brother's guitar, until social service knocked the door. The pace they chose for Hanyu is hillarious, it makes him look ridiculous and pathetic. Also, such an unfair score can alienate people against Yuzu, which is not the fate I would want for him. :disapp:

He was a little bit overscored, because Hanyu's coach is Orser. Don't you think? But I don't think the overscoring would harm Yuzu. People love him, they like what he is doing, thus adore his points. Unlike Chan. I believe, Kozuka's problem is the zero expressivity.

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist
While Hanyu looked like a teen kid who were left home alone, found daddy's booze and decided to experiment with his elder brother's guitar, until social service knocked the door.

you couldn't have said it better!!:biggrin:
I totally agree with you!

Crazy beautiful jumps, slow impersonal spins and an inadequate SP!
a lot of wasted talent.

But Canadian influence has already started :rolleye:

Wonderful Taka!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say I really love how Jeremy Abbott always attempts to stretch and reinvent himself stylistically. He is a quintessential artist! I always love his programs as it is always clear that he puts a lot of care and thought into what he is trying to portray and convey on the ice. He commits to every move and note of the music and he never bores us with knockoff choreography or dead tired warhorses we've heard millions of times before. He is a true original and I appreciate that so much. Abbott will always have a piece of my <3! :love::rock:

I love the 3 guys at the top after the SP and I'd :love: for them to be the podium at this event in any order. :yes:

Sorry that Verner, Brezina, Mahbanoozadeh, and Razzano had rough outings. :(

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Hanyu's skate was breathtaking. Yes the spins were slower than takas but they were in time to the music. The variety of the spins too was impressive. To me the difference between Taka and Hanyu is that Hanyu fills the ice better. His flow has much improved as well and the program has good transitions. The jumps were spectacular - havent seen the individual marks but must be very hige GOR.

So happy for Taka that he has got back on track - hope he can make the skate more expressive.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hanyu: Holy scoring Batman! Actually, looking at it, it's not that bad - there are enough cool moments in the choreography and he looks less clunky than before. Just not as great as 95 would suggest. Oh well - if any other the other field wants to compete, I suspect we'll start seeing two-quad short programs. Hanyu will be world champion in London. Being from the richest federation in the world has it's perks.

Kozuka: Gorgeous. Should have been ahead PCS wise - fluid movement, lovely interpretation, beautiful choreography. Too bad he's getting dumped on for the new kid.

Abbott: I thought Rippon was the one channeling Mad Men? Interesting, could develop into a good short program.