Has anyone taken skates on a plane recently? | Golden Skate

Has anyone taken skates on a plane recently?

G

Glacierskater

Has anyone taken skates on a plane recently?

I cannot get a straight answer from the airlines about it. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience? I have packed them before, but like having them handy.

Thanks,
Glacier

L

Lanechka

Re: Has anyone taken skates on a plane recently?

Yes! :) You can take thema long with you as long as it's in your baggage that's going in cargo. :)

<strong>-Lanie</strong>

C

Cinderella On Ice

Lanie is right. They won't allow them in carry on, but no problem having them in your checked luggage. I even took mine to Germany.

S

skaterskickbutt

I went to Milan 2 days ago, I took my skates on the palne in the cargo.

S

SammieJ

Milan!

Wow, fast trip!

What were you doing there? :)

G

Glacierskater

It sounds like the cargo bay it is then. I have always packed them in cargo...I just like having them right with me. But, I understand why we have to do it this way.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Glacier

S

Sk8Bunny

airlines

First off, its not the airlines that have control over if u can carry your skates on or not, its the security at the airports. Once you get through the main airport security check, then it doesnt matter what airline u fly, cause they dont check ur baggage usually after u go thru security. I flew to a skating event recently(3 weeks ago), and i got thru 2 airport security checks(2 different airports) with my skates as a carryon. i dont know how i did it, but they let me go on, and the funny thing is, one of the airports new i had skates cause they asked me what i had in my carryon bag, so i told them. the other time, they didnt even ask! so i got thru security with my skate bag, and after that, i just boarded the plane(and i happened to be flying american airlines btw) and no one questioned me or anything cause i mean, my skate bag looked like any other carryon. the only airport i had trouble going thru was the denver international airport. the security officers were at a 50/50 with deciding if i should be allowed to proceed thru security with ice skates. finally, they decided i had to check them underneath in cargo, mostly becuase the national terriosim level had just been raised to high or something like that earlier in the day. but they were nice about it and i think, had it not been so crowded at the airport and the terriosism alert level so high, i could have gotten thru with my skates. anywho, i would give it a try. oh, here is a tip- wrap bubble wrap over your blades/soakers(keep ur soakers on the blades still so they dont rust), and it will give ur blades extra protection from being banged around and stuff on the airplane. just be sure to take all the bubble wrap off when u are done flying, so the blades dont rust. good luck!
Sk8Bunny