2012 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ladies SP

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree. I guess I should root for a skater from the U.S. but I like who I like and I've always liked Adelina.:)
I do wish that she different choreographers. I'm not in love with her programs these days.

I really like Adelina too. I liked Haruka today and haven't seen Christina yet but she must have skated well.
Not so sure about Ashley - maybe her new SP will grow on me.

Macassar88

Medalist
Wow... One clean skate in the entire SP. Go Christina Gao!
Hopefully we won't see the same thing in the SD.

lavender

Record Breaker
we're not at war (well, not technically) with most of the countries these skaters represent. i like who i like. adelina is uber gorgeous :)

LOL yes I know... no war. Besides Michelle Kwan the ultimate, Jeremy, D/W & very few others I tend to adore skaters like Buttle, Lambiel, Dai and many, many more from everywhere else.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Last years Nationals with a great free skate was the perfect time for Rachel to retirement. The crowd was literally giving her a retirement/thanks for a great 5 years ovation. She reacted as if she was recognizing that, perfect time to go to school full time and maybe do some show skating on the side. Then she comes back!?!? She apparently didnt get the memo but the judges are going to try their hardest now to drill it into her this season, and unfortunately she may have to find herself being retired and shoved out the door by the seat of the pants the way Suguri eventually was if she isnt careful.

If Rachael wants to invest her time and her parent's money into continuing to skate, that's her choice (and to some degree theirs) to make. I actually really admire her for continuing. I do think she knows she is past her prime. I think she enjoys competition and skating. She was never one of my favorites. She isn't now. But if she continues to be invited to GP events and to qualify or get a bye to nationals, I don't see how one can think she should be forced into retirement.

bekalc

Record Breaker
we're not at war (well, not technically) with most of the countries these skaters represent. i like who i like. adelina is uber gorgeous :)

What I like about Adelina is she combines big skating with beautiful skating. With this girl to paraphrase Dick Button a jump is a jump. But she also has for the most part really lovely line and she's developing into a nice performer...A lot of skaters have some if not the other. I mean Julia is a pretty skater but I wouldn't say her jumps fly like that. And Grace Gold has big jumps but she doesn't have that kind of line/extension...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really like Adelina too. I liked Haruka today and haven't seen Christina yet but she must have skated well.
Not so sure about Ashley - maybe her new SP will grow on me.
I agree: right now, ashley's SP doesn't look like a great one to me, I think 30 is a little bit too much for the PCS, but maybe it's the kind of program that you have to watch many times before loving it... Haruka had an off-day, she just didn't make me feel any emotion...

skfan

Final Flight
meite, hecken, marchei also up. probably wagner's will be up soon

ETA: referring to #146

skfan

Final Flight
What I like about Adelina is she combines big skating with beautiful skating. With this girl to paraphrase Dick Button a jump is a jump. But she also has for the most part really lovely line and she's developing into a nice performer...A lot of skaters have some if not the other. I mean Julia is a pretty skater but I wouldn't say her jumps fly like that. And Grace Gold has big jumps but she doesn't have that kind of line/extension...

i actually think gracie has very nice lines, and i see artistic growth from last year (which i appreciate--just like i appreciate yuzuru's improved posture--because, ms. gao, your posture still makes me want to scream after all these years).

i am sorry to say this (because i have great respect for TAT) but i only wish adelina had programs as nice as gracie's SP this year. but in terms of magnetism, the ability to instantly grab your attention and hold it, the hugeness of jumps, the pointed toes... adelina really has so many wonderful qualities--to me, this is a skater who like katarina witt can make audiences all over the world (maybe even skate-apathetic america) pay attention and swoon.

bekalc

Record Breaker
i actually think gracie has very nice lines, and i see artistic growth from last year (which i appreciate--just like i appreciate yuzuru's improved posture--because, ms. gao, your posture still makes me want to scream after all these years).

i am sorry to say this (because i have great respect for TAT) but i only wish adelina had programs as nice as gracie's SP this year. but in terms of magnetism, the ability to instantly grab your attention and hold it, the hugeness of jumps, the pointed toes... adelina really has so many wonderful qualities--to me, this is a skater who like katarina witt can make audiences all over the world (maybe even skate-apathetic america) pay attention and swoon.

I don't think Gold has nice lines at all

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don't think Gold has nice lines at all

I don't either...I like Gracie's technique and jumps, but I find her pretty much average everywhere else. In terms of presentation, artistry, expression, etc. I don't see anything special about her. Maybe as she continues to grow I'll see it, but as of right now aside from her jumps she's just meh to me...:sarcasm:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't either...I like Gracie's technique and jumps, but I find her pretty much average everywhere else. In terms of presentation, artistry, expression, etc. I don't see anything special about her. Maybe as she continues to grow I'll see it, but as of right now aside from her jumps she's just meh to me...:sarcasm:

In fairness I think her lines watching again have improved but that's because they weren't great last year. She does best with pretty music. But in terms of a performer-no. .I wouldn't call her skating exquisite other than those truly amazing jumps. (and they are amazing). I don't see the big deal with the programs either. Because she doesn't performer them. In terms of Fernando's hideway, I actually wish Sotnikova would make her exhibition for that into a program-because it absolutely is better than Gracies. By a long way. Mainly because Sotnikova actually gets into the music.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Rachael wants to invest her time and her parent's money into continuing to skate, that's her choice (and to some degree theirs) to make. I actually really admire her for continuing. I do think she knows she is past her prime. I think she enjoys competition and skating. She was never one of my favorites. She isn't now. But if she continues to be invited to GP events and to qualify or get a bye to nationals, I don't see how one can think she should be forced into retirement.

To each their own. I dont think she will even betting a GP event next season though and depending on how she does at Nationals this year dont bet on a bye to Nationals either. So if that is her baseline for continuing to compete, dont bet on it happening.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
In fairness I think her lines watching again have improved but that's because they weren't great last year. She does best with pretty music. But in terms of a performer-no. .I wouldn't call her skating exquisite other than those truly amazing jumps. (and they are amazing). I don't see the big deal with the programs either. Because she doesn't performer them. In terms of Fernando's hideway, I actually wish Sotnikova would make her exhibition for that into a program-because it absolutely is better than Gracies. By a long way. Mainly because Sotnikova actually gets into the music.

I agree, Gracie has improved. Her lines are better but I wouldn't say they're great or even very nice for that matter....they're decent. Comparing her to Adelina, there is no comparison b/c Adelina has impeccable lines and extension to match. I agree, Adelina definitely gets into her music more so even when the choreography is lacking a bit, I'm still able to enjoy what she's doing.

I hope Gracie grows into a performer. I like her SP this year but she doesn't bring it to life. It happens in spurts, here and there she shows flashes of "performing" but then two seconds later it's gone and you can see that she's thinking her way through the program again. I don't ever get the sense she feels the music or choreography when she skates...she's just going through the motions. When she learns to connect to what she's doing, she'll be a freakin' beast! I really hope she can become an all-around skater. For now she's just a powerhouse jumper to me.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I dont think Gracie is a natural artist like some of the Russians but I think she is a very determined and hard working competitor who will gain some of the needed artistry with practice over time. It could be even argued Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi are not a natural artist the way Oksana Baiul is, but they mastered it through diligent practice. Ashley Wagner is not a natural artist in the least, just look at her junior performances, ugh, especialy compared to Caroline Zhang, Nagasu, and even unbelievably a young Rachel Flatt, but through years of hard work we have seen what it has done for her.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I thought that the judges were generous to Adelina...I feel for Leonova though I've never been a fan of hers(
So I'm looking forward to fp.It is crazy to think that Adelina has even a chance to catch Ashley!I thought she doesn't have a chance, but looking at their scores I believe that the winner is not so obvious:)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wish Christina would do 3Flip-3Toe like she used to. It was still a lovely SP performance anyway...the best here today.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I thought that the judges were generous to Adelina...I feel for Leonova though I've never been a fan of hers(
So I'm looking forward to fp.It is crazy to think that Adelina has even a chance to catch Ashley!I thought she doesn't have a chance, but looking at their scores I believe that the winner is not so obvious:)

I think Adelina has more than a chance practice reports were saying she was winning the practices. As for why it was close Adelina DID have a 3/3...