2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought that Bobrova and Soloviev were a bit undermarked compared to Weaver and Poje. I felt like Davis and White were very much overmarked. I thought that they shouldn't have broken 70, but then again, it's their home event. Excited for the FD though.

Of COURSE you didn't think they should have broken 70----You're a SCOTT MOIR fan.

'Nuf said.

riceplate

On the Ice
Loved Gisele! With the toesteps and having the YP pattern as the second to last element, Meryl/Charlie's legs would be burning and the two probably panting at the end.

All final 3 couples were pleasant to watch.

Meryl's dress is a near replica of Katia's Gisele costume from her singles program from the mid 90s. Both Choreographed by Marina.[/url]

Maybe Meryl could borrow the dress from Katia. She needs to do away with the apron and Ruth Buzzi hairdo.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
D/w got a 10 in timing from a judge but the technical caller said they missed 2 out of 3 on a the YP- how can one not effect the other?!

Mainly because they judging panel and the technical panel are different judges. Also, the level of a pattern step sequence usually disregards timing in favor of clean foot placement, edgework, and holds. Timing is generally a quality for GOE instead.

Macassar88

Medalist
Of COURSE you didn't think they should have broken 70----You're a SCOTT MOIR fan.

'Nuf said.
I just wasn't as impressed with them as I was last season. I didn't notice as much of the breakneck speed this season, and I didn't feel like they made many improvements in their connection this dance. I think that they didn't perform up to their potential.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I cringed secretly thinking about the comments about Dawis&White skating to a ballet, but this was really really good. I am glad they are going to new places regarding their skating and I feel they are relating to each other more in this program.

Bobroba and Soloviev improved so much that I barely recognized them. No more sloppy dancers from Russia.

I agree, completely, on both accounts. I was happy to hear that D/W were making an effort to work on their connection because, frankly, I think it is a problem for them. They may never have the natural chemistry that some other teams have, but I did see a litte bit of improvement here from them, and I'm really happy that they are acknowledging that it is an area that needs improvement and addressing it. We can't expect them tochange it overnight, but at least they're trying. Good for them.

As for Bobrova/Soloviev, I agree. The improvement was quite spectacular, and I must say I really enjoyed them for the first time tonight.

Last edited:

kosjenka

On the Ice
I felt like Davis and White were very much overmarked. I thought that they shouldn't have broken 70, but then again, it's their home event. Excited for the FD though.

That was one of the best first performance in ice dance in several seasons. Both D&W and V&M usually need up until GPF or Nationals to deliver something as clean and swift.
Plus - Hanyu broke the world record with a clean performance day before, so the judges at SA are in the mood.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mainly because they judging panel and the technical panel are different judges. Also, the level of a pattern step sequence usually disregards timing in favor of clean foot placement, edgework, and holds. Timing is generally a quality for GOE instead.

I thought timing was more vital.

HR4

On the Ice
It seems like everyone here agreed on improvement of B/S?. I loved them too. I am not an expert in dance discipline, but why are components so low? Lower than on Worlds last year. Poor guys! Though the place is third, but the distance should have been much less.

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S have to show more improvement. Not just one SD but a FD and consistency maybe for the next year or two. Do good in a worlds for once in their career. A strong 4th place a challenge for third.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It seems like everyone here agreed on improvement of B/S?. I loved them too. I am not an expert in dance discipline, but why are components so low? Lower than on Worlds last year. Poor guys! Though the place is third, but the distance should have been much less.

They were overscored last year, components wise, though.

Macassar88

Medalist
They were overscored last year, components wise, though.

Yes, but I still feel like they should be getting scores closer to Weaver and Poje. They were basically on par with Weaver and Poje in GOE, but they lost out on some important levels. There is no reason for them to be getting level 2 on YP and level 3 on twizzles. And they have made so many improvements stylistically as well as technically that should be reflected in their PCS. They should be at least getting PCS at the same level because they now deserve the PCS that they were getting last year.

jcoates

Medalist
Components also tend to build over the course of season as the program becomes grooved. Also, to assume that B/S's improvement and move to Zhulin would guarantee a leapfrog over W/P ignores the fact that the Canadians have made huge strides the last two years. Before that point the teams were roughly equal. W/P are not going to sit idly by and rest on their laurels. They have a real shot a podium finish at both Worlds and Olympics. B/S Have to not only catch them (along with the French, Shibs and Italians), but also pass them. That's no mean feat. Not saying it's impossible, just very difficult at this lat stage in the cycle. I's argue the Canadians made their move at the better time.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
OK..I'm begging for YouTube ..It looks like CBC may not air any dance 'til late night tomorrow...:eek:

The listings are all over the map , and who knows what to trust...:scowl:

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 71.39
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 65.79
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 62.91
4. Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT & Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT (USA) - 53.89 Short Dance
5. Nellie ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 52.30 Short Dance
6. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI & Simone VATURI (ITA) - 50.36 Short Dance
7. Anastasia CANNUSCIO & Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 47.98 Short Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but I still feel like they should be getting scores closer to Weaver and Poje. They were basically on par with Weaver and Poje in GOE, but they lost out on some important levels. There is no reason for them to be getting level 2 on YP and level 3 on twizzles. And they have made so many improvements stylistically as well as technically that should be reflected in their PCS. They should be at least getting PCS at the same level because they now deserve the PCS that they were getting last year.

Here's what D/W and W/P got in GOE:
Twizzles:
BV 6.00 GOE 1.33 (3 3 3 2 3 2 2 3) 7.33 D/W
BV 5.00 GOE 0.50 (0 1 2 0 2 1 1 1) 5.50 W/P

Step Sequence:
BV 6.50 GOE 2.33 (3 2 3 2 2 2 2 3) 8.83 D/W
BV 6.50 GOE 1.67 (2 1 2 2 2 1 1 2) 8.17 W/P

Lift:
BV 4.00 GOE 1.17 (2 3 3 2 2 3 2 2) 5.17 D/W
BV 4.00 GOE 0.83 (2 1 1 2 2 1 2 2) 4.83 W/P

Yankee Polka:
1-BV 5.00, GOE 0.92 (2 2 2 2 2 1 1 2) 5.92 D/W
1-BV 7.00, GOE 0.58 (2 1 1 1 2 1 1 1) 7.58 W/P

2-BV 7.00, GOE 1.00 (2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2) 8.00 D/W
2-BV 7.00, GOE 0.58 (2 1 1 1 1 1 1 2) 6.58 W/P

So where do you see a 'par' between D/W and W/P with respect to GOE?
D/W received eleven +3s and W/P received no +3.
D/W received three +1s and W/P received twenty-two +1s.
W/P received no 0s and W/P received two.

Sometimes fans see what they want to see.

Furthermore, W/P have already had one outing before Skate America, at Nepela, and had the opportunity to improve the YP portion of their SD from the feedback they received. Their SD did improve over their Nepela effort by 2.02 points. B/S, otoh, slipped 2.65 points from their Finlandia performance (or maybe Finlandia was overmarked).

This was D/W's first outing of their SD and in the opinion of most dance fans on this and other boards, they did a fantastic job---and the judges agree.

Last edited: