2012 Skate America Men's LP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Men's LP

Art&Sport

Medalist
I saw the NBC broadcast of the men's fps. When Abbott was interviewed he didn't mention his pinched nerve problem which he tweeted about later, so I guess he didn't find out till later. Scott and Sandra were kind in their comments. It is a magical program for Jeremy. I like the work and creative bond he and Yuka have developed. But, Jeremy needs to find his mojo and get it working to perform clean, consistent programs to match his artistry. He could have wiped this field. Machida is talented, but come on, the 4th place Japanese guy taking bronze? And a Japanese men sweep at SA? Even Armin and Doug should have been able to challenge Machida here.

For those who saw the broadcast, what did you think about the Evan Lysacek feature? Scott and Sandra were being realistic about the difficulty Evan would face with the new technical challenges, particularly since he hasn't competed for a long time and may have trouble getting in a competition prior to Nats. But later in the broadcast, Evan was brought up again, just so Scott and Sandra could give him props because NBC likely feels Evan's a big draw and TPTB didn't want S and S casting too much doubt about Evan's
competitive chances in the new men's landscape.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My thoughts: Kozuka was awesome. So was Machida. I was horrified by Hanyu's performance and I'm surprised he held 2nd, but his short was very good. I didn't think it was quite as amazing as the judges did, but still very good. I felt bad for Jeremy.. now that I know about the pinched nerve, him popping multiple jumps to doubles makes sense, I guess. I was watching wondering what happened. I wish Menshov had been able to get some sort of medal because I really enjoy the guy; I think he's underrated and I hope he at least gets to go to a world championship before retirement (he's better than a Gachinski meltdown!).

emma

Record Breaker
I thought bringing Evan into this when he wasn't here was weird. I congratulate him for trying and wish him the best of luck. I do agree that he is fighting an uphill battle.

I rewatched Abbot's program because I love it so, and now I love it even more. When I have time, I'm going to watch all of his LPs for the last 4 years - but for now, I'm just really excited to see this one again and again. I think I'm going to take advice of sorts from Mathman - I no longer care where Abbot places, I just want to watch him skate and skate and skate.

That said, I really am happy for Machida but wasn't really feeling his Firebird. Kazuka, on the other hand, I just loved. Hanyu was so hard to watch - poor guy but gutsy guy. best of luck to him next time.

SGrand

Final Flight
Wow, what a difference between the SP and LP for poor Hanyu. Happens to everyone though at some point I guess and it's an experience nonetheless (funny how they seemed to playing the song "Live and Learn" right before his marks came up lol). I must say, that was verging on painful to watch, it looked as if he totally gave up and was completely gassed. While I think he is a tremendous talent in the making, I do believe he is a work in progress and it irks me how some seem to be writing off Takahashi and Chan since Hanyu's SP at SA. Really??? I mean, in their own ways, they are each amazing (I know, it's subjective, but you cannot deny their natural talent in certain areas and they are both so well-rounded too). I realize Hanyu set a new record, and I'm happy for him and am looking forward to seeing him grow, but to me he still lacks certain refinements that I find so pleasing in other skaters (eg. upper body lines and control of it). Was he over-scored? I'm sure a bit, but it happens ;)
So happy for Kozuka to finally rebound after such a tough year last year.
Sad for Jeremy, he really is such a talent, but has such a rough time due to injury and inconsistency.

As for the Evan piece, I'm glad they were at least being realistic about his chances if he does make his comeback.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I thought it was out of place. Better to feature the skaters who were actually competing.

^^ Yes, true, but of course he was supposed to be there. So, I guess since he's coming back as OGM, they feel he's an audience draw and important to mention. I thought the feature was not unexpected, but yes, beside the point since he wasn't competing at SA. Possibly they had already filmed the feature before Evan pulled out of SA. Too bad there's no way to combine Evan's competitiveness with Jeremy's magical skating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought it was out of place. Better to feature the skaters who were actually competing.

I missed the feature on Evan but can't imagine how it was out of place to mention the reigning American Olympic champion at Skate America.

No doubt you would never object to any type of feature about Michelle whether it was at SA or Natls. :)

Looking at how the American men did did at Skate America NBC probably wishes they had done two features on Evan.

I missed the feature on Evan but can't imagine how it was out of place to mention the reigning American Olympic champion at Skate America.

No doubt you would never object to any type of feature about Michelle whether it was at SA or Natls. :)

I was thinking about making that very point in my post. Fans were really interested in Michelle Kwan's fortunes, win, lose, or no-show. Evan, as successful as he has been, does not seem to have the same cachet or newsworthiness.

Anyway, let's wait and see if he actually returns to competition before we start beating the drum.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just wanted to comment regarding the issue of asthma medication for Hanyu: when I was doing competitive canoeing and kayaking at the national level, I had to submit a form for every competition declaring the drugs I took for asthma. It was legal for me to take them as long as I submitted that form, signed by my doctor. I assume the process would be similar for figure skating.

Art&Sport

Medalist

Looking at how the American men did did at Skate America NBC probably wishes they had done two features on Evan.

:laugh: You make some good points. Evan's a good egg, I mean a good guy and reigning OGM champion skater, but I don't find him or his skating very exciting. His skating is workmanlike and he gets the job done competitively with a lot of help from his coach, which not every skater and not even more talented skaters are able to accomplish, so he deserves his props. I agree with Scott's and Sandra's skepticism about his chances of repeating as OGM. They said Evan hadn't found anything else to excite him after the Olympics, but what about his success on DWTS? I guess when that was over, there wasn't a whole lot of extended glory for coming in second. ;)

If Evan is in good shape physically and does come back strong, maybe he'll have a chance to go to Worlds hopefully with someone else who is on top of their game so combined they can bring back 3 spots for the U.S. men.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For those who saw the broadcast, what did you think about the Evan Lysacek feature? Scott and Sandra were being realistic about the difficulty Evan would face with the new technical challenges, particularly since he hasn't competed for a long time and may have trouble getting in a competition prior to Nats. But later in the broadcast, Evan was brought up again, just so Scott and Sandra could give him props because NBC likely feels Evan's a big draw and TPTB didn't want S and S casting too much doubt about Evan's
competitive chances in the new men's landscape.

I felt the same way - was surprised they let Scott talk about it at all considering how he raked Evan over the coals after last year's debacle.

I was thinking about making that very point in my post. Fans were really interested in Michelle Kwan's fortunes, win, lose, or no-show. Evan, as successful as he has been, does not seem to have the same cache or newsworthiness.

Who's to say Evan fans don't want to hear from him? They find him newsworthy. As a fan of figure skating I could care less over an MK fluff piece (there were so freaking many)... I don't think it's fair to assess personal feelings on all fans.

that being said I, too, as a fan found it a waste of space. :laugh: but then I frequent online skating sites so I knew he wouldn't be there and why.

It looked to me as most of the fluff piece was done well before he got injured... but to tell the truth I wasn't watching all that intently at that point so maybe they said that? :laugh:

:laugh: You make some good points. Evan's a good egg, I mean a good guy and reigning OGM champion skater, but I don't find him or his skating very exciting. His skating is workmanlike and he gets the job done competitively with a lot of help from his coach, which not every skater and not even more talented skaters are able to accomplish, so he deserves his props. I agree with Scott's and Sandra's skepticism about his chances of repeating as OGM. They said Evan hadn't found anything else to excite him after the Olympics, but what about his success on DWTS? I guess when that was over, there wasn't a whole lot of extended glory for coming in second. ;)

If Evan is in good shape physically and does come back strong, maybe he'll have a chance to go to Worlds hopefully with someone else who is on top of their game so combined they can bring back 3 spots for the U.S. men.

That's how I view Evan at this point. I think he's a decent guy and a phenomenally hard worker, though his skating isn't as inspirational as Dai's or Patrick's. As Scott and Sandra pointed out, just getting back to 2010 levels won't get Evan a repeat OGM. He needs to up his game, and he may or may not have that in him. (Whereas if YuNa comes back, I think she only has to reach her 2010 level, because at this moment, unless the Russian girls astonish us, no one has surpassed Kim's programs in terms of content or execution. And Kim herself certainly hasn't.) As you point out, Evan could still get America a third spot, even if he doesn't make it to the top of the World podium.

I mean, I love Jeremy's skating, but it would be so great to see an American man who doesn't lose his cool during an international competition.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Takahiko Kozuka JPN - 251.44 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Yuzuru Hanyu JPN - 243.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Tatsuki Machida JPN - 229.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Konstantin Menshov RUS - 212.53 Free Skate
5. Jeremy Abbott USA - 211.35 Free Skate
6. Michal Brezina CZE - 209.67 Free Skate
7. Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA - 203.65 Free Skate
8. Tomas Verner CZE - 197.36 Free Skate
9. Douglas Razzano USA - 187.73 Free Skate
10. Alexander Majorov SWE - 182.42 Free Skate

Added the video for Douglas Razzano's free program

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't agree at all that the Lysacek piece was out of place. He IS the reigning Olympic Men's Champion and he WAS supposed to be at Skate America. I thought the comments from Scott et.al. were a bit constrained but their facial expressions said it all! They don't believe he can make it back and I personally don't think Evan has a chance to come back close to the form and strength he had in Vancouver. He needed this competition. It will be very interesting to see where he goes from here in his journey.

yude

Record Breaker
As information about asthma medication for Hanyu:in the magazine called "World Figure Skating", it was reported that he received acupuncture regularly in Toronto because his respiratory tract became small. I don't know about the drugs though. I hope his body condition will get better.

Last edited: