2012 Skate America Pairs LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Pairs LP

yqs100

On the Ice
really PT's both programs,,,,

and have to admire Russia Skating Federation,,,, no clean throws, 1 lift always failed can still get 1st place...well done!

skfan

Final Flight
I agree with you about Jenny Meno. I once got a chance to ask Mr. Nicks about death spirals. I wondered if Jenny had some fabulous natural talent. Mr. Nicks said that gorgeous entrance wasn't that hard to teach. You just had to want to do it right.

thank you for that insight from Mr. Nicks. i *loved* jenny's death spiral entrance *and* position better than even the great russian pairs such as G&G... though of course G&G had nice death spirals and didn't skate in an era that rewarded difficulty in the same way.

jenny's death spirals are gorgeous, but i think underhill and martini had the nicest forward inside death spirals and the nicest backward outside (?) death spirals. i re-watch unchained melody for the death spirals more than the sensuality these days... ^___^ the wirtzes from canada had nice death spirals too... *feels old*

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am a P/T fan obviously but I cant objectively say they should have won. V/T didnt skate poorly, and technically they are alot stronger at this point, and while I much prefer the emotion and chemistry of P/T's program tonight, V/T are a more polished team with better unision, and also better basic skating.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
V/T made mistakes,yes, but they still were the class of the field. It's like as they are V/M or D/W of pairs skating - even if they make mistakes or fall, they are not too low.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Tanya/Max had a better LP in Nebelhorn but hopefully they will be in their A game in Cup of Russia, I read an interview that Maxim said going to Skate America will not be easy because they wanted a later Grand Prix event to prepare/polish their programs and because of the time difference

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Tanya/Max had a better LP in Nebelhorn but hopefully they will be in their A game in Cup of Russia, I read an interview that Maxim said going to Skate America will not be easy because they wanted a later Grand Prix event to prepare/polish their programs and because of the time difference
Max is such an emo whiner, there's always a reason why they can't be at their best, the world is aligned against them (or just him, when he was with Mukhortova). Dude, you are the Russian number ones, showered with PCS and GOEs no matters what you do. If you can't admit it, at least don't complain about how hard everything is for you.

The bottom line for me is that they are a pair with immense promise (I really hoped they would team up well before they did) and yet the end result is just completely underwhelming. I also realized that they are well-matched technically but not artistically; Tania is lovely, but she has almost no range as a performer (it was less noticeable when she was with Stas). Mukhortova didn't, either, but she was at least convincing in some programs, and the rest of the time she was a convenient neutral partner for Trankov so that he could emote and and do his thing.

CoP has ruined death spirals. Even with the abomination that was the catchfoot DS met its demise, there are still way too many ugly ones.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov (RUS) - 195.07 Free Skate
2. Qing Pang & Jian Tong (CHN) - 185.16 Free Skate
3. Caydee Denney & John Coughlin (USA) - 178.22 Free Skate
4. Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres (FRA) - 167.66 Free Skate
5. Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir (USA) - 164.19 Free Skate
6. Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff (USA) - 131.26 Free Skate
7. Danielle Montalbano & Evgeni Krasnopolski (ISR) - 119.02 Free Skate

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov (RUS) - 195.07 Free Skate
2. Qing Pang & Jian Tong (CHN) - 185.16 Free Skate
3. Caydee Denney & John Coughlin (USA) - 178.22 Free Skate
4. Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres (FRA) - 167.66 Free Skate
5. Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir (USA) - 164.19
6. Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff (USA) - 131.26 Free Skate
7. Danielle Montalbano & Evgeni Krasnopolski (ISR) - 119.02

Thank you!

Macassar88

Medalist
Just watched VT and PT's free skates

I thought that Pang and Tong were beautiful as always although I do wish that they'd work on her positions in the lifts more. Also, that death spiral was pretty ugly. Another thing about Pang and Tong's program that irked me was how it started off bigger than it ended. It didn't really build up.

I'm quite disappointed with VT. I liked both of their programs last year, and this year, I feel like they've gone OTT on both. I really hope that they get choreography from someone besides Morozov in the future.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed V/T FS, a lot better than their SP! But the dresses are just :no:
One smiley to describe my feelings about P/T: :love:!
Happy for D/C, too: I hope they'll make it to the final, this year, they truly deserve it!

Macassar88

Medalist
Yeah DC have been rock solid with their elements - and consistency is quite important when you have so many skaters flopping.
I really enjoyed V/T FS, a lot better than their SP! But the dresses are just :no:
One smiley to describe my feelings about P/T: :love:!
Happy for D/C, too: I hope they'll make it to the final, this year, they truly deserve it!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yeah DC have been rock solid with their elements - and consistency is quite important when you have so many skaters flopping.
Yes, this is what I like about them: they are solid, and this is a quality that you rarely find in Pair Skating at the moment: all the Pairs usually make many mistakes, even it they don't fall, when they are often almost clean!

StellaCampo

On the Ice
This is V/T's 3rd season. Their performances so far confirm my impression already formed in the previous seasons that V/T are an elements-only pair. I like watching their elements but not the rest. When they don't work there is nothing to see. Certainly no emotion is stirred whatever the music or the choreography.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
James/Cipre: Underscored. They were quick, with actual choreography. No way they were 4.5 points behind D/C PCS wise.

Denney/Coughlin: Some good elements, but this should've been hammered in PCS. They're clearly trying to up their game there, but the improvement isn't that noteworthy (though it is in the short) and they're clearly riding those incremental improvements to bigger-than-deserved PCS boosts. Though I'll give them credit for working at improving, and for that triple twist - as big and secure as any team's out there.

Pang/Tong: I really wish Pang would pay more attention to her position in air. She's got a lovely proportioned-body and could really create some fantastic images. It's a pretty good program, but that death spiral needs to go. Gah. I hope they stay healthy this season.

Volosozhar/Trankov: Overscored, but with the points hit that P/T took on the death spiral and the solo jump, I think V/T deserved to win the LP and overall - but barely. But this program is a spectacular misfire. Well, misfire is the wrong word as it does what it's clearly intended to do - snow the judges with over the top facial expression and body positions in order to hide the basic lack of anything special in their skating. Gifted in GOEs (though P/T actually got three more points from GOES then V/T) and PCS, ridiculous choreography, just everything. The worst part is that for the first minute or so, I thought that it could be pretty good. Which is basically a metaphor for their career thus far. Maybe the best we can hope for us that the Russian Federation spends all of it's political capital overhyping these two to Sochi gold and has nothing left for ice dance and men (the downside is that I really want one the ladies to have that moment in Sochi too). There are few things more irritating than potential squandered.

Give Flattfan and mousepotato credit for calling it a couple seasons ago.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with V and T's win if you consider how gifted Ssquared from Germany has been in past years. they'd make mistakes and still beat teams and the argument but the quality blah blah blah so I have no problem That being said V and T have to up the ante. including technically not just chemistry wise. I did like P and T a lot though i am a little tired of their same look so to speak; I would love to see something different from them but it is sort of the same stuff to different music with a similar overtone and for that matter undertone.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
James/Cipre: Underscored. They were quick, with actual choreography. No way they were 4.5 points behind D/C PCS wise.
Indeed. hopefully they will continue to skate well, with a corresponding rise in their PCS.

I don't have a problem with V and T's win if you consider how gifted Ssquared from Germany has been in past years. they'd make mistakes and still beat teams and the argument but the quality blah blah blah so I have no problem That being said V and T have to up the ante. including technically not just chemistry wise. I did like P and T a lot though i am a little tired of their same look so to speak; I would love to see something different from them but it is sort of the same stuff to different music with a similar overtone and for that matter undertone.
Actually, the argument is usually that S/S (who calls them S Squared anyway?) were skating programs considerably more difficult and innovative than everyone else. V/T may be doing difficult elements, but you can tell Morozov is choreographing for them. Can't compare a Steuer program with a Morozov program.