2012 Skate America Ice Dance FD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance FD

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I came home to the last half of D/W's FD... I'm not impressed, it didn't feel as cohesive as last year's FD at skate america... I haven't seen the SD, but I'm worried that the clean/crispness of the Canton teams came from Igor while the program themes came from Marina... It'll be interesting to see how V/M look...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Bobrova and Soloviev keep improving at this rate, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see them and Weaver and Poje beat Pechalat and Bourzat who will be at their first GP of the season. Cup of China, IMO, is a toss up on who will win. Obviously Pechalat and Bourzat are amazing, but Bobrova and Soloviev always get great scores at CoC. And Weaver and Poje may bring it extra hard to show that SA was a fluke.

Well yes I also wouldnt be surprised to even see both W/P and B/S beat P/B at Cup of China. P/B got their career achievement medal at Worlds last year and are going down from here IMO. My point is if Weaver & Poje skate well, which they clearly didnt in the FD here, they have a great shot to win Cup of China, and if they skate poorly again and come 3rd, they dont deserve the GP final anyway.

gmyers

Record Breaker
W/p lost so much TES I doubt that will happen again. P/B have very good pcs hat has kept them notches above w/p and b/s for two seasons now. They will be at the first gp event and that could be bad for YP levels but that could be saved by the FD-they are a tier above the rest. B/s shows good tech so far. P/b have better coaches though.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 176.28 Free Dance
2. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 159.95 Free Dance
3. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 157.32 Free Dance
4. Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT & Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT (USA) - 141.41 Free Dance
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 132.57 Free Dance
6. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI & Simone VATURI (ITA) - 125.74 Free Dance
7. Anastasia CANNUSCIO & Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 122.37 Free Dance

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I loved Davis and White's free dance. It can only get better. The simple costumes, the beautiful lifts, the choreography, the stunning music........... I personally think Charlie White is the best male dancer EVER!!!! I don't even find my eyes wandering to Meryl. Usually in pairs and dance you look at the woman. The only time I see her is in the lifts. I think by the time US Nats comes about and then Worlds this is going to be an iconic program for them.

leafygreens

Final Flight
D/W were great. Maybe now people will get off their back about using "overused music." I have never heard this piece before. They looked commanding, elegant, and international.

I came home to the last half of D/W's FD... I'm not impressed, it didn't feel as cohesive as last year's FD at skate america... .

I agree. To me, they didn't have their usual speed and their unison was not as automatic as we are used to from them. Early yet, though.

CAS

On the Ice
I agree. To me, they didn't have their usual speed and their unison was not as automatic as we are used to from them. Early yet, though.

Reminds me of something Tracy Wilson said once. That people underestimate the difficulty in what V&M do because they make it look easy. She said she knew from experience how difficult it was to add all the extra touches, nuances while skating technically demanding programs. D&W usually come out stronger than they did here and maybe now others might understand that it takes a lot of skill to be able to do both.

Oh , schmaltz ! ... sorry ... I could do without the "second ending" for D/W . I've always disliked the highly choreographed entrances some pair and dance teams indulge in ( see Denney and Coughlin here , e.g. ) and I didn't think Zueva would resort to such an obvious hard sell on the supposed "new connection" . I'm thoroughly disappointed with this aspect of D/W's program.

I agree. The program was over, the judges were bent over their score sheets. Were we supposed to believe that Charlie and Meryl were so overcome with the intensity of their feelings that they couldn't keep their hands off each other? :laugh:

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I was kind of surprised to see Charlie have an edge slip on a twizzzle of all things; just after that sequence it looked to me as if he nearly or perhaps did kind of hit Meryl in the face; then a few more bobbles. My conclusion: they have spoiled me because these are not the kinds of errors I expect from them. As a result, I'm not sure how I feel about the program - the music or choreo. I think I feel way more positive about their SD...but await the more knowledgeable to give me guidance, adn the skaters themselves who will undoubtedly improve with each outing.

I'm a bit perplexed by W/P - and am so taken in by them since last season that, well, I want hope that they can rock this!

CAS

On the Ice
I agree. The program was over, the judges were bent over their score sheets. Were we supposed to believe that Charlie and Meryl were become so overcome with the intensity of their feelings that they couldn't keep their hands off each other? :laugh:

Apparently.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121021&content_id=39963530&vkey=ice_news
"In our programs this season, particularly the free dance, you'll see that connection, that kind of chemistry you can cut with a knife," Davis said. "We've been working on it for years, and I think we've finally found it."

I won't hide that I think V&M are the superior team BUT I've always respected the talent and abilities of D&W and I may disagree with a result but I can see why someone might go for one over the other. But I felt that whole post-choreography was contrived and frankly embarrassing.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My thoughts: I really enjoyed both Davis/White and Weaver/Poje. I thought Bobrova/Soloviev's FD was technically well skated, but pretty weird. Zhiganshina/Gaszi's FD was weird too, but in a better way, and that's par for the course for them anyway. I just find B/S fixated on death themes a lot..
Anyway, I also enjoyed K/G-S, the Italians and Cannuscio and McManus!

Art&Sport

Medalist
:laugh: Ah, so what re D/W's extended staring into each other's eyes. They were staying in the character of the program.

Plus I guess there will always be something that those who don't really love them will nitpick about. At least they work hard on trying to improve areas they are criticized about. Working on that "connection" may seem contrived and overdone, but they are challenging themselves to try a different approach to their skating.

I like D/W's SD better than their FD, but I thought they were really good in both, and that both programs need mileage over the course of the season to perfect. In particular, there are a lot of refinements they can make to the FD. Still D/W are superior to most other teams, and on a par with V/M. I thought D/W should have won Worlds in Nice.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W actually haven't had this FD that long. They started off with an FD of Sinatra songs, then tossed it and started over with the current FD. Of course they need mileage on it!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Art&Sport ..but I do really like them. I think the extended "staying in character" is cheesy. I wouldn't like it on other couples either. I don't think they need to resort to that.

wallylutz

Medalist
I have made a decision. If someone with magical powers said that I could look like any skater in the world, I'd choose Meryl Davis. It's not that she's the most beautiful...there are so many beautiful ice dancers that I could never rank them. She just looks like someone out of a story.

What does everyone think of their new program? There are some amazing lifts in there, aren't there?

I really liked their SD this year, which I thought really suited their playful characters. Some people say that feels too "Disney" but I see nothing wrong with that because Disney actually some pretty elaborate choreographies in their shows. This is definitely the best SD I have seen so far, among those couples who have competed this season.

As for their new FD, quite frankly, they need to scartch this ASAP. The chemistry comes across as a little forced and not natural as they were in the SD. I was more caught up with the lyrics and its meaning than I was with what they were doing on ice. In other words, the music cuts were distracting. It felt as though they skated completely besides the music, not with the music - that is you could play another song and their choreography would still fit because it just seems so generic. Barring a melt down on the part of V/M, there is no chance this FD stands a chance of defeating their Canadian training mates at Worlds unless they go back to the drawing board and come up with a new FD, which they still have time.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow. I'm quite surprised at the criticism of Charlie and Meryl. To my eye it's unfounded but some are taking it to such a finite level for the team's first time out this season. I like this music MUCH better than last year's free dance because it isn't hackneyed and overused and I didn't really expect them to be perfect.................yet! But scratch it? Sheesh. I think that's a little harsh. I see chemistry. I see beautiful lifts and tight footwork. I see grace and flow. I see them giving any team in the world a run for their money. If they scratch anything it should be the theatrics after the program is over. I do agree with folks that think it's superfluous.

gioccia

On the Ice
I've never been a fan of BS. But this year they are growing on me. Though I can say that I liked their SD much more than the FD, they are more refined in the SD. What's for the FD: I didn't like both DW and WP FD at all. They need to do something coz in comparison with the last year it's a step back. Althought there may be something that we don't know...like Zueva giving this year's gold to the Canadians and Krylova giving the bronze to the French.)))

Buttercup

Record Breaker
:laugh: Ah, so what re D/W's extended staring into each other's eyes. They were staying in the character of the program.
Extended staring only works when done by Barbara Fusar-Poli.

I agree that it was cheesy, and Igor would never have had them do such a thing. I generally dislike choreographed entries (DelSchoes did a lot of them, P/B V/T occasionally), they are usually just silly looking. But at least that's setting up the program. This was more like a wholly unnecessary epilogue - just react however you want to your skate!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well D and W deserved to win; some of the skating was contrived; some people can do it ie Bestimaniova and Bukin and even to a point more so V and M but it just doesn't work for Davis and white imho but I still have problems with them winning by so much. I don't like B and S free skate - a little to different or avant but it was well done and I give them credit for stretching themselves. I have to say while I do think come Oly D and W will be on top I am disappointed with their fd especially this year so far. But they will improve it; but it just seems so "unorganic". And TES wise B and S came pretty close. I would have had pcs higher for B and S compared to W and P though again I still didn't like their fd it was pretty well done. It seems like P and B might be safe with bronze - unless I and K surprise = not sure if they have the work ethic or talent. Both Russian teams lose levels like Susan Lucci loses Emmy's. Its a common occurrence.