How many skaters have legitimate chances at 2014 Olympic Gold as it looks now. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How many skaters have legitimate chances at 2014 Olympic Gold as it looks now.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well that is what this season is about....Sochi is not in a few months but a year and a few months

BTW....you have been quiet about Christina......

I remember when we were the only two posters at GS who saw something special in her skating.
I still do....what about you?

THRILLED for Christina and knew she was capable of skates and scores like she had at SA all along. That being said, I don't consider her a contender for Olympic good, and consider her to be comparable, if not superior, to Gracie Gold when she skates like she did at SA. Her jumps and spins are just as good as Gracie's and her artistry/PCS are a little better IMO. I'd love to see her on the Olympic team in 2014 and think she definitely has a realistic shot if the team has 3 spots. I think a medal at Worlds or the Olympics would be a stretch for her though, which is why I'm surprised people think Gracie and Adelina are contenders for the gold there.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
People honestly think Gracie can win the OGM? No offense to Gracie but her PCS will need to improve a lot between now and then for her to have a hope at that. I do think a medal is possible, but I highly doubt the gold, sure her jumps are terrific but the rest of her skating is just okay right now.

As for Adelina, while with clean skating she would be a big threat, the way she's been skating recently has allowed skaters like Gold, Osmond, and Gao beat her, so if she doesn't start to show more consistency, she could potentially miss out on even making the Olympic or World team. The Polinas are both very strong technical skaters, there seem to be new good skaters every week, and if Makarova ever manages to land her jumps, she will get competitive PCS at Russian Nationals and could wind up on the podium.

while I agree Adelina will be a non factor until she is 25-28 years old, girl cannot make 2 clean skates to save her life yet
the Polinas are inconsistent, Julia though already rivals Adelina's PCS in international seniors debut, Liza well she has poor PCS like Gracie's we'll see how they will improve this season

2014 Olympic hopefuls

* Gold Favorite: Kim Yuna

other potential contenders:
Julia, Mao, Gracie, Ashley, Kanako , Carolina and Liza

outside shot/non factors:
Sotnikova, Suzuki, Osmond, maybe Gao ?

janetfan

Match Penalty
while I agree Adelina will be a non factor until she is 25-28 years old, girl cannot make 2 clean skates to save her life yet
the Polinas are inconsistent, Julia though already rivals Adelina's PCS in international seniors debut, Liza well she has poor PCS like Gracie's we'll see how they will improve this season

2014 Olympic hopefuls

* Gold Favorite: Kim Yuna

other potential contenders:
Julia, Mao, Gracie, Ashley, Kanako , Carolina and Liza

outside shot/non factors:
Sotnikova, Suzuki, Osmond, maybe Gao ?

Interesting - but do you really think a skater like Julia - who skates through the music and has pre-puberty jumps that barely leave the ice now- will actualy be given skating's highest honor?

Caro could land 4-5 triples and beat her easily simply because she is such a totally superior skater and artist on the ice.

Maybe it is a matter of taste - or Russian desperation to finally do what USA Ladies have done seven times...which is to win the OGM.

Honestly, I don't see senior skating going in the direction of rewarding Julia's juniorish skating over more mature skaters like Yuna, Mao, Caro, etc.

At a GP event it is one thing.....but the Olympics??? I guess we will have to wait and see...... :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Interesting - but do you really think a skater like Julia - who skates through the music and has pre-puberty jumps that barely leave the ice now- will actualy be given skating's highest honor?

Caro could land 4-5 triples and beat her easily simply because she is such a totally superior skater and artist on the ice.

Maybe it is a matter of taste - or Russian desperation to finally do what USA Ladies have done seven times...which is to win the OGM.

Honestly, I don't see senior skating going in the direction of rewarding Julia's juniorish skating over more mature skaters like Yuna, Mao, Caro, etc.

At a GP event it is one thing.....but the Olympics??? I guess we will have to wait and see...... :)

Julia already has good PCS scores, she racks many +GOE's that's just from her spins alone, she will still improve she as you say is juniorish because she is 14 years old
but she is gradually improving, the audience are clearly not bored by her if you see all her competitions.

The one who WINS the Olympics will be the most consistent !
CONSISTENCY will be the key . period !

no matter how good your skating is, look at Sasha, Alissa or Adelina
lovely skaters but crumble under pressure, they have great potential but just so-so....

janetfan

Match Penalty
Julia already has good PCS scores, she racks many +GOE's that's just from her spins alone, she will still improve she as you say is juniorish because she is 14 years old
but she is gradually improving, the audience are clearly not bored by her if you see all her competitions.

The one who WINS the Olympics will be the most consistent !
CONSISTENCY will be the key . period !

lovely skaters but crumble under pressure, they have great potential but just so-so....

I will grant you that Julia is a great spinner.....which is something I admire.

But as far as owning the ice - I think she has a long way to go - at the senior "Olympic" level.

If we watch Yuna's incredible 2010 Olympic programs -I just don't see Julia anywhere near that.

But a year and a half can be a life-time for some of these young skaters,

I think many Americans like Adelina because we recognize such top quality in so much of her skating - and presentation.

I did not mention Liza....and don't mean to single out Julia for criticism....but junior is as junior does. :)

Believe me, I am sure we will see the rarest of occurences in Sochi - that being in the last 60 years a Russian lady on the Olympic podium. Aside from Irina it is rare - but between the talent and home ice advantage I have little doubt a Russian lady will be on the Sochi podium.

I think that is a good thing - and like always hope it is fair.
Right now I see Adelina on the Sochi podium......but realize most Russian posters disagree with me.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I will grant you that Julia is a great spinner.....which is something I admire.

But as far as owning the ice - I think she has a long way to go - at the senior "Olympic" level.

If we watch Yuna's incredible 2010 Olympic programs -I just don't see Julia anywhere near that.

But a year and a half can be a life-time for some of these young skaters,

I think many Americans like Adelina because we recognize such top quality in so much of her skating - and presentation.

I did not mention Liza....and don't mean to single out Julia for criticism....but junior is as junior does. :)

Believe me, I am sure we will see the rarest of occurences in Sochi - that being in the last 60 years a Russian lady on the Olympic podium. Aside from Irina it is rare - but between the talent and home ice advantage I have little doubt a Russian lady will be on the Sochi podium.

I think that is a good thing - and like always hope it is fair.
Right now I see Adelina on the Sochi podium......but realize most Russian posters disagree with me.

by definition of owning the ice is not just from skaters but the ability to wow the audeince, Yuna did that with flying colors at the Olympics
I believe Julia can do the same, the response she gets from the audience when she is on the ice is something not many skaters can get

I used to be one of Adelina's biggest admirers she has huge talent probably one of the best of the new crop of ladies
but her inability to skate 2 clean programs and inconsistency is such a letdown that I just had to gave up on her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia is still tiny and skates Juniorish with rather average sized jumps. Plus she could grow 3-4 inches over the next year and all bets will be off. Plus Yuna was a special kind of skater. When she skated at Worlds for the first time in 2007 in the SP she blew everyone away not just with her speed and incredible 3-3 combo but her maturity for being only 16. I don't see Julia being that mature 16 months from now.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I don't think it's fair to compare a 16 year old to those who have had years and years of inconsistent performances. Adelina is attempting technical content in the jumps and spins as difficult as anyone in the world right now. She is still growing and changing but it isn't like she has a long career of meltdowns.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why is Julia being compared to Yu Na from 2010. There is virtually no chance the winner in 2014 will match the performance from Yu Na Kim in 2010 which are far and away the best Olympic performances in history (maybe the best performances in history period). I actually think Yu Na will defend in 2014, but whether the winner is Yu Na herself or someone else, I highly doubt she will match the performances from Kim in 2010. That is not the level which will likely be needed to win the 2014 Olympics so even if Julia doesnt reach the level she might well reach the level needed to win the 2014 Olympics.

Nobody has to agree with my list of gold contenders though. I was curious to see others peoples lists but those who are saying who they dont think is a contender for the 2014 Gold are not bothering to post who they think is.

L

lowtherlore

I would add Joannie to the list, if she come back true. She looked to be in terrific shape lately as last August. I want to see Canada secure 2 spots for 2014.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
For gosh sakes...Yuna won the LP at Vancouver and Mirai was easily the second best LP.
Like Yuna, Mira skated a flawless LP.

It was US Skating that ruined Mirai's chances for a medal by sending Flatt to Vancouver as the US champion.

peoples wonder that too. Maria score massive 70+ for same SP @ world. Had she goes there as US champ, her LP potentially could crack 130+ and she might be able to win at least a bronze. But then, OLM is in Canada so there is no way the judges going to let Rochett out of the podium, unless she bombs.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
The ladies have been really down the drain these past years. We got juniors that are moving to senior and non of them are really running away with title yet, due to growth, injuries and we got matured skaters that are technically in decline.

But I think it will be prob down to Tuk and Stonikova for the gold based on their potentials and if nothing derail with injury.