Skate America: Nielsen Broadcast Ratings | Golden Skate

Skate America: Nielsen Broadcast Ratings

SkateFan66

On the Ice
It's a vicious cycle. Because of the decline in popularity of the sport, USFS does not have any money to promote their events. And because they don't promoite their events, the sport declines all the more steeply.

I don't think Skate America comes too soon in the season. IMHO what is missing is some sort of international cheesefest competition in December to tie Skate America together with U.S. Nationals. Again, money is the issue. If they could attract a big sponsor who would shell out the bucks to insure participation from the best of the U.S. and international stars, maybe NBC could be convinced of the viability of a three-event "season" for televised skating. It would be a start, anyway.

Also, it would be nice if they could figure out a way to make use of the new senior B event. Maybe take the angle of promoting the next generation of U.S skaters moving up to seniors, or something like that.

Withthe performances of Ashley Wagner and Christina Gao yesterday, they definitely have something to sell. Now if they could just find buyers.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have to be honest. I didn't even know they were televising it until I saw it on twitter about 10 minutes before it started. Also, I tend to DVR everything so I can fast forward through stuff that bores me!

fwsf

Rinkside
Americans are just not into skating like the Japanese and Canadians. Americans are excited about a sport if they are #1 internationally (e.g. gymnastic in 2012) . Ashley Wagner and Christina Gao do not fit the bill. May be that's why so much media interest in OGM Lysacek comeback but not D/W who are mostly second to V/M in world's and oly.