Too Much Wine? | Golden Skate

Too Much Wine?

Suzy

On the Ice
How much wine is too much wine. I have a friend who's 42 and who's admitted to me that she drinks around 3 glass of red wine every night before going to bed.

I think it's binge drinking because it's done over a period of a couple of hours. She states she never drives at night but watches T.V. and it helps her to unwind and relax.

I know that red wine is supposed to be good if you have only 1 glass a day. I also read somewhere that women should limit themselves to no more than 1 drink per day.

I'm worried she may have a drinking problem.:rolleye:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Suzy: I wouldn't consider it necessarily a drinking problem unless its something she absolutely HAS to have every night--she can't go to bed without it. It is a bit much for daily consumption. She would be better off sticking to one or two glasses per day. One glass is the American recommendation. In England and Europe, for example, they consider two drinks per day just fine for a woman. While there are associated health risks (increased risk of breast cancer) there are also protective aspects of moderate wine consumption (heart disease prevention). I think you'd need to know more before declaring this situation a problem.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Physicians say one glass per night is not a bad thing - but for me, one glass period is too much! I have an allergy to alcohol! It just makes me sick!!! I pretty much avoid the stuff.

As for your friend, it's good that you are concerned. Drinking alcohol like anything can become a habit. Some people are "social" drinkers and others drink in the privacy of their home. Anyway, sounds like you are a good friend. Sometimes people are not aware they are "treading on dangerous ground."

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I know what you mean by the allergy problem. I have a strong sense of taste and smell and can't stand the taste or smell of alcohol. They seem spoiled to me, which of course, in a way, they are.

serenity

On the Ice
Okay Suzy
Picture this ...Your same situation but what if 25 years ago they stoped the drinking problem.For a year now they are doing the same thing now as your friend. I am worrried about my friend? What are your thoughts. Should I be worried?

Suzy

On the Ice
Serenity,

Are you saying your friend quit drinking 25 years ago and has started up again? Did the friend not drink at all for the past 25 years and then started again drinking at night by herself?

My friend had more than a few wine bottles in her recycle bin that I saw and I jokingly said, "Did you have a party or something and not invite me?" That's when she told me about her drinking habits. She also said that before her kids were born she used to drink TWO BOTTLES of wine every night but doesn't do that anymore because she has "responsibilities" now.

I've never seen her drunk or anything, and it kind of surprised and worried me, that's all.

:rolleye:

serenity

On the Ice
She started on her own a year ago after reading about how red wine helps with living longer. She also knew about someones father and how he lived so long by doing this. She didn't drink at all until a year ago. Now I have noticed that she drinks 2 glasses of it and maybe some irish cream drink sometimes that same night. Some kind of wine she drank at New Years too. I can't stand the taste or smell myself.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
How about trying to talk to someone at AA and asking them about it. This could be very serious. I think they are probably listed in the phone book. I wouldn't let this go very long. You're a good friend to be concerned.