Tues Practice (Men's) | Golden Skate

Tues Practice (Men's)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We did manage to catch all the men's practices. And their skating was much better than I had hoped.

Rohene Ward did a mostly full run through of his program, landing his 3A and 3 other triples. I really love his creative skating, his great layback spins, spirals, Charlotte, and f/w. He also landed at least one quad in practice. I like his move where he does tiny circles, not quite a spin, into a double loop(?) didn't notice the edge-the jump was a surprise. He fell several times, but on the whole skated very, very well. I do like this guy.

Jordan Wilson skated his program through completing his 3a3t and another 3a with a lot of power and height in the jumps. He
also has a good Ina Bauer.

Michael Weiss didn't show up to practice, but they played his music. And you couldn't help thinking that between doing a jingoistic program at Dortmund, it can't be a great choice to skate here in Atlanta (DIXIE, Mike) to the Battle Hymn of the Republic (North, that was the NORTH, Mike) We should only be glad he did not pick to skate to Gen. Sherman's troops' theme march, Marching Through Georgia.

Tim must still be fighting his boots. He skated a relaxed practice, doing just segments of his Queen program, but he got through all of it eventually. It reminded me of the way Russian practices often look. It was a very relaxed kind of practice for him. He did land 2 quads and a 3a2t3lp, although he did also fall a couple times too.

Ryan Jahnke looks better than at SA, but landed maybe one 3A the whole practice and he tried a lot of them.

Johnny Weir did all kinds of interesting footwoork and connected single/double jumps and other such waiting to skate his program. And then when he went to skate his program, he did nothing really, for some reason.

Jorden Brauniger is very nice looking but wasn't landing much but doubles. He also does the Orser / Elvis Canadian style sit spin that doesn't go completely down.

Nicholas Laroche has a heck of a hydroblade move where his nose is inches from the ice (yes the face is DOWN toward the ice)

Parker Pennington, coached by Heiss, has all the unpleasant, gangly, bad posture look that Tim had when he was being coached by Carol. And he wasn't skating very well. I don't think I would send a child to Carol to coach.

Matt Savoie was doing his old Ragtime number and landing many of his jumps, had some problems, but overall seemed in good shape.

And if Mike picked all the north songs to skate to, Ryan Bradley made up for it by skating to Duelling Banjoes (think Deliverance), the Devil Went Down to Georgia, and I kid you not, finished up to Dixie. He did land 2 triple axels, and of course, incorporated a fair number of cheesy hoedown type moves.

Scott Smith did not have a very good practice, nor did Dennis Phan, or Derrick Delmore. Braden Overett seemed fairly happy with his practice. His music is also military.

dpp

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Doris,
Thank you. I have been hungry for any news on men's practices.
Have seen nothing on any of the boards until your post. Interesting. I wonder where Mike Weiss is? Good to know that some of the upandcoming skaters are going for different MITF. Heard similar reports about the young Canadian males.

Doris, IIRC in the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, women's gymnast Amy Chow had a floor exercise routine to Dixie. The U.S. coaching staff decided to demote her to alternate for this aparatus, and let one of the other girls compete instead, because they did not want to take a chance on arousing any racial animosity.

Mathman

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
music

Mathman said:
Doris, IIRC in the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, women's gynast Amy Chow had a floor exercise routine to Dixie. The U.S. coaching staff decided to demote her to alternate for this aparatus, and let one of the other girls compete instead, because they did not want to take a chance on arousing any racial animosity.

Mathman

That's strange that they would view it that way...cos Amy Chow is of Korean descent...

I can't believe those coaches thought of it that way...
Maybe that's a reason why Katarina Witt never skated to Wagner...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes but Dixie is the Confederate "Theme Song" therefore it'd be more towards racisim against people of African descent(sp?).