Who is going? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is going?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! I appreciate your polite offers. Some of the bigger hotels might be offering shuttles.....and of course Dash Tours has theirs. After some studying, I think I can figure out the bus system to go into the arena during the day and coming home each day, my friends and I can take cabs if available. No car. Is tipping the same in Canada as it is in the US? I have heard one doesnt tip in Europe. The arena tells me that there will be an info desk that will call cabs if needed. Anything you can think of that would be useful for us accidental tourist would be appreciated....it seems that most of the 10 hotels four miles south at the White Oaks Mall are full, so there should be lots of folk to ask questions of!
I am from London and going to the event, how can I help you enjoy your experience here?
I saw some of your messages about transportation and I can say if you are driving you can find parking you might need to walk a bit but it is doable.
Cabs will be waiting out front of the arena, we don't have cab stands, there are lots of other places to get bus tickets then just the mall. I have also heard that some of the hotels are offering shuttles to the event.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow...they are being TOLD to not use a private parking lots????? I wonder how anyone would know that a city resident was parking for work or attending skating???? Thanks for the information stream! I have a request into the arena ref. Are the seats padded?
Chris with no butt.
Actually most parking isn't city owned, it by a private company, we don't know much yet, other then City Residents that normally park in the lots downtown are being told they have to park elsewhere that week.

VGL

Rinkside
Wow...they are being TOLD to not use a private parking lots????? I wonder how anyone would know that a city resident was parking for work or attending skating???? Thanks for the information stream! I have a request into the arena ref. Are the seats padded?
Chris with no butt.

The lots would probably only be available to people who purchased the parking pass from Skate Canada.

waterblades

On the Ice
Chris with no butt.

Yes but only a few of the downtown lots near Budweiser Gardens, this always happens when we hold large week long events. There isn't alot of extra parking downtown near the Arena as it is usually full of downtown workers, that is why the few near by ask people to make other parking arrangements that week. We old week long events maybe once a year. They are also closing the small lot attached to the arena as there will be a fan feast, I have been told that there will be entertainment, viewing tv's, as well as Skate Canada house, and I would also assume all the other large skating body's would have a tent area as well. I'll post when I know more about the fan feast.

waterblades

On the Ice
Chris with no butt.

Were are your seats some are padded most aren't, I think sections 114, 113, 112,110, those sections also have drink holders. I am sitting in this section and will bring something to sit on as the padding is good for a hockey game, but not a week long event. Parking they know as we have to have a pass in the window of the car, monthly holders all have one.

waterblades

On the Ice
After some studying, I think I can figure out the bus system to go into the arena during the day and coming home each day, my friends and I can take cabs if available. No car. Is tipping the same in Canada as it is in the US? I have heard one doesnt tip in Europe. The arena tells me that there will be an info desk that will call cabs if needed.
1. Yes tipping is the same as in the US.
2. Every descent hotel in the City is booked.
3 .Bus system, is pretty easy to use, your hotel should be able to point you in the right direction to get to the bus stop. Our bus pick up stops have blue markers, when going to the arena take the northbound, and home southbound. I am not sure how many people they hold but they are pretty big and some are the double length ones.

If your hotel is on wellington rd south, I would suggest you cross the street and catch the bus at White Oaks Mall 13 picks up at the Mall, 4A and 26 walk all the way across the mall and parking lot to Jalna and there is a bus pick up for them. nice and easy there is a central pick up location for 13, you can pay in coin 2.75, or buy tickets in the mall or many locations once downtown near the arena. Ask your hotel to point you in the right direction, I would say 10min walk from the couple of hotels right across the street from the Mall.

13 Wellington don't take 13A unless you want a bus ride thru the neighbourhoods, once on the 13 it's about a 25min bus ride, get off at either Wellington and King, stop just after the underpass(there is an bright green and blue sign in the median that says London) once off the bus, you want to walk west 3 blocks, about 5mins and you will be at Budweiser gardens. West on either King St or DundasSt will get you to the arena. To take the bus to the hotel walk back Wellington Rd, but don't cross the street.

4A Oxford East, don't take the B it will take longer, once on the 4A Oxford it's about 25mins downtown thru the neighbourhoods, get off at Richmond and King(just after the underpass) or Richmond and Dundas main drop off, go west one block. To take the bus to the hotel walk east to Richmond Rd, either at King or Dundas.

26 Jalna about 30mins, get off at Dundas and Richmond, main drop off location, walk one block west to the Arena. To take the bus to the hotel walk east to Richmond Rd and Dundas.

For those at Wellington and Exeter you can take a bus too but the hours are limited contact LTC.

You can call the LTC 519- 451-1347 or email for more information [email protected]

Axel Rose

On the Ice
I was wondering if anyone has advice for finding a hotel. My friend and I realized recently there were tickets left for worlds and that we would be able to take time off at the end of the competition week. But obviously, all the hotels are booked right now. I was surfing online and saw that there are still tour packages being offered that include hotels, which would seem to mean that there are still hotel rooms that are unbooked in London. I also read online that sometimes hotels reservations get cancelled closer to the competition date by skating federations. Any advice about where to stay, where to look and as to whether there's any truth to hotel accommodations opening up last minute?

Coriana

On the Ice
My friend was able to book at the first of the month tickets and hotel through Dash for just three days. unless you're driving, the fact that they provide transportation to and from the arena pretty well compensates for the extra cost. Uniworld is the same. the deadlines have passed but they may still have hotels on hold, or they may have drop outs. Otherwise, if the hotels are booked, you could check the BandB's.

waterblades

On the Ice
I was wondering if anyone has advice for finding a hotel. My friend and I realized recently there were tickets left for worlds and that we would be able to take time off at the end of the competition week. But obviously, all the hotels are booked right now. I was surfing online and saw that there are still tour packages being offered that include hotels, which would seem to mean that there are still hotel rooms that are unbooked in London. I also read online that sometimes hotels reservations get cancelled closer to the competition date by skating federations. Any advice about where to stay, where to look and as to whether there's any truth to hotel accommodations opening up last minute?

It is my understanding that all the major hotels are booked that week, maybe you can call/email around and get on a wait list.

The Hilton and Delta are where the skaters and ISU are staying.

Here is a link for some B&B i have no idea if they are booked solid or not.

http://www.bbcanada.com/ontario/southwest_ontario/london

Other places to look if you don't mind a drive all listed around 45mins to 1hr to the arena in is St. Thomas On or Woodstock Ontario, Port Stanley B&B, Grand Bend B&B. I live in the city and it takes me 20mins, just for a reference.

Good Luck! I really do find it hard to believe that all the rooms are actually in use at this point. I think the list of who is competing is due in this week so there is bound to be a few rooms freed up. Try contacting skate Canada too. Or sign up for the tour group if you want to come to every event, then they will get you too and from the event with ease.

waterblades

On the Ice
Hotels

I heard on the radio today that some hotel room have opened up.

Try looking it up form the Tourism London website I found a few.

http://www.londontourism.ca/Visitors

Ilvskating

Final Flight
hi waterblades, I'm going for all competitions. I have upper bow tickets ranging from row B to E. Do you know how far away that would be from the ice? my tickets are mostly in section 302, with a couple 314 and one 313, 306. I'm wondering if I should take my binoculars with me. In addition, which peaking lot is recommended if we can't get a parking pass? Thanks a lot. we stay near white oak mall.

James R

Match Penalty
I was surfing online and saw that there are still tour packages being offered that include hotels, which would seem to mean that there are still hotel rooms that are unbooked in London.

Well, presumably these tour packages would have reserved the rooms already for the package. I can give you this advice though. If you do use any website to "book a room" other than the hotel chain website, verify that you actually have a room by calling the hotel, maybe the day after. I booked on a discount website once and when I arrived at the hotel found out there was no room there or ANYWHERE. Not a situation you want to be in.

Wish I had known Worlds was going to be so close to me. Darn it. Doubt I could have afforded it though.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That is excellent advice and I have seen things like that happen before.....Another bit of advice is if you book a flight far in advance, watch the website for any changes as to times, flight numbers, etc. and document them. I have a technique where I book flights way in advance, knowing they will be changed two or maybe even three times....then, as time gets near to the flight, I can make changes without a change fee cause they have changed my plans so much. Happened to me on my flight to London comming up, actually. They made two minor changes over 9 months and when I went to come home a day early and make that change, the computer automatically gave me a free change. I have done this three times now. BTW, if you change to a more expensive flight, you are still liable for that difference.
Well, presumably these tour packages would have reserved the rooms already for the package. I can give you this advice though. If you do use any website to "book a room" other than the hotel chain website, verify that you actually have a room by calling the hotel, maybe the day after. I booked on a discount website once and when I arrived at the hotel found out there was no room there or ANYWHERE. Not a situation you want to be in.

Wish I had known Worlds was going to be so close to me. Darn it. Doubt I could have afforded it though.

waterblades

On the Ice
hi waterblades, I'm going for all competitions. I have upper bow tickets ranging from row B to E. Do you know how far away that would be from the ice? my tickets are mostly in section 302, with a couple 314 and one 313, 306. I'm wondering if I should take my binoculars with me. In addition, which peaking lot is recommended if we can't get a parking pass? Thanks a lot. we stay near white oak mall.

You will be able to see really well, but bring your bincoulars.

The arena holds 9050 sepecataors so it is a nice cozy areana, it should be fairly warm since it is a full house, also there are lots of ladies bathrooms, they put in more then the the buliding code requires, there are still lines but not too long.

I am trying to find a good parking map to send you, parking will most likey cost between 10 -15 a day.

This is the link I gound, but i am sure there is a better map. Covent Market Lane is where the arena is. Since you are going to come down Wellington I would park at the york and wellington lot, across from the convention centre. Or turn right and park in the Mall which is kiddy corner to the lot i mentioned.

The lot right at the arean will be closed. There is underground parking at the market but I doubt there will be much left. There is also a nice big one on Queen and Talbot, which is the one I would expect skate canada to get for the parking passes, if we ever hear anything.

http://webmap.london.ca/mapclient/m...ng/parking_guide_intro.htm&Provider=SVC&K10=0

Ilvskating

Final Flight
You will be able to see really well, but bring your bincoulars.

The arena holds 9050 sepecataors so it is a nice cozy areana, it should be fairly warm since it is a full house, also there are lots of ladies bathrooms, they put in more then the the buliding code requires, there are still lines but not too long.

I am trying to find a good parking map to send you, parking will most likey cost between 10 -15 a day.

This is the link I gound, but i am sure there is a better map. Covent Market Lane is where the arena is. Since you are going to come down Wellington I would park at the york and wellington lot, across from the convention centre. Or turn right and park in the Mall which is kiddy corner to the lot i mentioned.

The lot right at the arean will be closed. There is underground parking at the market but I doubt there will be much left. There is also a nice big one on Queen and Talbot, which is the one I would expect skate canada to get for the parking passes, if we ever hear anything.

http://webmap.london.ca/mapclient/m...ng/parking_guide_intro.htm&Provider=SVC&K10=0

Thank you very much waterblades! greatly appreciated!

Axel Rose

On the Ice
A big thank you to all those who gave advice about getting a London hotel. Figure skating fans are such a helpful bunch :)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
This may sounds really stupid, but is it possible to throw stuffed animal to the rink from the front rows of upper bow? :eek::

waterblades

On the Ice
This may sounds really stupid, but is it possible to throw stuffed animal to the rink from the front rows of upper bow? :eek::
With a good arm you can do it for sure. They do a teddy bear toss at hockey games and pretty much everyone throws a bear.