Good recipe search | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Good recipe search

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok so I've got the menu down for this thursday.

Next week, though, is Pinochico... and that takes place in Northern Italy... so I'm looking for something good - that won't break the bank, and doesn't have to have pasta to make it work. My mom is gluten intolerant so we have to be careful. She has her own pasta, but she's not a fan of it LOL I'm thinking something with chicken, but I'm up for any ideas. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Looks like I missed the first dinner. Anyway, here's the hamsteak recipe & baked ham recipe:

Ham Steak with Glazed Apples

2 lb. thick ham steak
2 TBSP country style Dijon mustard
1/4 c. packed light brown suger
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 Tbsp butter

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mustard and brown sugar. Heat to bubbling. Add the apples. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, until the apples are tender but not dissolved. Place the ham steak in the skillet. Cover it with the apples. Then put a cover on the skillet and cook 5 to 7 minutes more until the ham is heated through.

Or

Baked, Pineapple Glazed Ham

Heat oven to 325F

2 to 4 lb ham (very lean)

Score ham surface in about one inch cubes right into the meat (at least 1/2" deep)

Bake 30 minutes a pound until you are within 1/2 hour of ham being done.
(For two lb ham, this is 30 min, for four lb ham, this is an hour and a half.)

Remove ham from oven, and cover with your favorite glaze.

Bake 30 minutes more till done.

I generally use a pineapple glaze on the ham. This recipe makes enough for
a four pound ham.

Pineapple Glaze

Mix in saucepan:
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
couple cranks on your pepper mill of pepper
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp salt

Add to sauce pan:
1 c. crushed pineapple and juice (8.5 oz can, or 5 slices and 1/4 the liquid
of a 16 oz can of sliced pineapple, chopped in your food processor)
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. brown Mustard

Heat till boiling over medium high heat. Stir and boil for 1 minutes, until glaze thickens.

As to Italy:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This might work for you for an Italian chicken that doesn't need pasta. You could also serve this with polenta, now that I think about it, to maintain the Northern Italian theme.

Chicken Piccata

Serves 2 to 4 people

Breast of 1 chicken (2 typical breast servings)
salt
fresh ground pepper
flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil

1/4 c. Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry
1 Tbsp. minced garlic

1/2 c. Campbell's chicken broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp capers

2 Tbsp. butter
Lemon slices (about 1 lemon, thin sliced)

1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/3 c. scallions or onions, minced

Cut each breast half into 2 or 3 thin cutlets. Pound the cutlets with
a mallett to tenderize and thin them. Salt and pepper the cutlets on
both sides. Dredge in flour. (or egg wash for Atkins dieters)

Add the oil to a frying pan. Add the cutlets. Saute 2 to 3 minutes on
one side, turn the cutlets, cover the pan with a plate and cook 2 to 3
minutes on the other side. Remove the cutlets onto the now heated
plate.

Add sherry to the pan to deglaze. Boil until sherry is reduced by half.
Add chicken broth,capers and lemon juice. Heat to boiling, add cutlets. Cook
an additional minute on each side. Remove cutlets back to the platter.
Drop the heat to low, and heat to boiling. Add butter,
lemon slices, adjust salt and pepper, stir until combined, and
pour sauce over the cutlets.

Top with the minced scallions and parsley. If you are using regular onions,
put them in earlier with the capers.

This is good with noodles, rice, or a really good Italian bread and
fresh asparagus.

Here's the recipe:

Creamy Polenta

4 cups water
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 c. polenta (essentially Italian yellow corn meal. Do not buy the premade guck in a stick)

1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 Tbsp. butter

Pour 4 cups of water into a deep, thick-bottomed pot. Add the salt. Put the pot over
high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Pour the polenta very slowly
into the water, whisking continually so that no lumps form. Continue cooking over
medium heat, whisking very frequently, for about 10 to 12 minutes. The conventional
wisdom is that polenta is done when it pulls away from the side of the pan, but if
you are like me, you may like it a little looser.

Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the cheese and butter.

This makes a nice breakfast with fried, bulk sausage.

Store the remainder in a square pan. It can be sliced and fried and served with any
stew-like entree, particularly any with an Italian or Mediterranean flavor.

It can also be served with syrup or cinnamon sugar for another breakfast.

Here's a good stew to serve over it:

North End of Groton Italian Chicken Stew

1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
salt
pepper
3 tsps. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 1-lb can of chick peas (ceci, if you're Italian, garbanzos if you speak Spanish)
4 chopped plum tomatoes
1 c. water
2 Tbsp. minced black olives (and green olives work too)
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. chopped parsley

Cut up the chicken and salt and pepper it.

Pour the olive oil into a deep, thick-bottomed frying pan. Heat the oil over medium
high heat. Add the chicken and brown it
for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and wilt it, about 30 seconds. Add the
chickpeas and the water. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced
by half, about 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes. Continue to cook over medium heat until the tomatoes start to
lose their shape and become sauce. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes. Add
the olives, vinegar and chicken, including any juices that have drained onto the
the plate. Cook one additional minute. Stir in the parsley and seve with polenta.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thanks, Doris! That ham steak sounds yummy!

What does polenta taste like, i dont think anyone in my family has ever had it...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It tastes like a finer consistency cornmeal mush with a mild cheesy taste due to the Parmesan cheese.

Or very very good cheese grits only better.

Buy some, make it, see whether you like it. There'll be enough left for your dinner, if you do like it. (I'm very fond of it, particularly with northern Italian dishes)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It tastes like a finer consistency cornmeal mush with a mild cheesy taste due to the Parmesan cheese.

Or very very good cheese grits only better.

Buy some, make it, see whether you like it. There'll be enough left for your dinner, if you do like it. (I'm very fond of it, particularly with northern Italian dishes)

I LOVE polenta! It is one of my go-to grains.

Also fun to make is to let the potenta cool and make polenta pizza. Yum yum!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hopefully it's a gluten free food stuff... otherwise we can't do it :(

now to get a veggie...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gonna try polenta tomorrow night using Doris' recipe! Dad found a main dish he wanted me to do... so I am compromising... polenta with pasta? we'll see how it goes lol

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gonna try polenta tomorrow night using Doris' recipe! Dad found a main dish he wanted me to do... so I am compromising... polenta with pasta? we'll see how it goes lol

Good luck! I'm sure it will be delicious!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Be sure to tell us. And be sure to keep stirring the polenta, or it will lump.

Check the package you buy for how long to cook. I try to use the slower cooking kinds of everything, but the faster ones aren't terrible.

Like Old Fashioned vs Quick Cooking Oatmeal.

Rats! I missed two whole weeks of your dinners because of the power/internet blackout. The Snow White dinner looks splendid on your blog! Polenta is wonderful, and I'm sure the family will love it. The texture is delectable, not like any other starch I can think of.

Doris, your recipes are splendid. I still have some of your recipes from last year--the two fruitcakes. People eat well at your house! I agree with you about oatmeal and other quick versus slow foods. I'm not much of a cook, but I do make a lot of different kinds of grains. The slower-cooking ones take longer but result in better flavor.

The one contribution I can add is that chestnuts make a great vegetable all by themselves. Friends had chestnuts in a lovely sauce at a dinner they invited me to. I don't have any recipes, but I've bought ready-cooked chestnuts here on the east coast. You can also puree them for a great dessert--they have a natural sweetness that doesn't need a lot of added sugar.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Olympia - you didn't miss much, I was super sick last week so I didn't cook... the week before was the kick off. I think I linked it in a post further back in teh thread. If not it's on my blog - http://tonichelle.blogspot.com It was FANTASTIC... soooo sooo good, the family is still talking about it.

Come to find out I'm the only one who's never had polenta in our family. Mom's excited because she can use it instead of pasta for the dish so she won't feel left out (or suffer through her gluten free pastey pasta).

Yeah, gluten-free pasta is a drag. It falls apart when you boil it. Whereas polenta doesn't need gluten to stick together, so its texture is smooth and tender. I guess the closest thing to it is grits, which of course I also love (being fond of starch). Another great grain dish is kasha, or buckwheat groats. (Well, really it isn't botanically a grain.) It smells wonderful as it's cooking, kind of nutlike.

I did see your blog and loved the photos and descriptions. I'm so sorry you were sick last week. This week will taste all the nicer because you were deprived last week.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
New post is up - shout out to my GS peeps! http://tonichelle.blogspot.com/2012/11/wdw-2013-pinocchio-themed-dinner.html

ETA - Olympia, gluten free bread/pasta of any kind is awful. I feel so bad for my mom - she loves that stuff and it's just been in the last couple of years that she's having such horrible issues. It's so weird. But I have the same issue with not being able to have dairy. Grew up on the stuff and then hit college age and all of a sudden it tries to kill me. But I am willing to feel icky for a day if I OD on cheese or ice cream... because I can't not have it!

Last edited:
I think that both cheese and ice cream are worth a day of icky. The non-dairy substitutes are barely a shadow of the real things. Might as well do without in between intervals of eating the authentic item for a day or so.

Just read your blog. The peach tart looks scrumptious. So Bambi is next. Good idea to do a veggie meal! Maybe you can make some sort of veggie burger using egg as a binder and including nuts and some sort of non-gluten grain. Can you get buckwheat groats (kasha)? It's not a grain at all, botanically, I think.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Clearly, a good green salad is in order, whatever else you serve, possibly topped with edible flowers, if available at all in November (nasturtiums may not be available, but lavender is available on the spice rack.)

and a glass of clear, clean water.

Maybe something barbecued, in memory of the forest fire?

Bambi doesn't seem to lend itself to a themed meal other than this themed church dinner that is served every year in Bradford, VT:

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2009/10/bradfords_got_g.html

Not overall appealing to eat while viewing Bambi.

Grilled veggies can be wonderful, as the "barbecue." I love your idea of edible flowers!

In honor of Thumper, probably carrots would be a great idea. In honor of Flower the skunk, maybe a black and white dessert--chocolate and vanilla icing.

I wonder if tempeh is available in Toni's neck of the woods? It's very meaty and makes a yummy meat substitute. We can't suggest anything with pasta and cheese, alas, as that zaps both Toni and Mrs. Toni-Mom. Fake macaroni and fake cheese will taste like heated linoleum.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Haha love the heated linoleum comment...

This one is going to be a challenge. I suggested stuffed mushrooms but mom said no because she knows i wont eat them... lol