Practices | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Practices

DianaSelene

Medalist
To me, many of these comments make little sense. Yes, Carmen includes sex but I wouldn't want to see it. It's like saying that if the Shibutanis are skating to Memoirs of a Geisha, they should be playing out a scene between a geisha and her customer. I'm sorry but I don't like Virtue putting her hand on his butt, nor her crotch in his face. I've seen the opera Carmen and the ballet Carmen and neither were overly sexual. The themes were there but Elena Obraztsova never smacked Placido Domingo's butt and neither did Svetlana Zakharova.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
To me, many of these comments make little sense. Yes, Carmen includes sex but I wouldn't want to see it. It's like saying that if the Shibutanis are skating to Memoirs of a Geisha, they should be playing out a scene between a geisha and her customer. I'm sorry but I don't like Virtue putting her hand on his butt, nor her crotch in his face. I've seen the opera Carmen and the ballet Carmen and neither were overly sexual. The themes were there but Elena Obraztsova never smacked Placido Domingo's butt and neither did Svetlana Zakharova.

Maybe sex is not the right word. Passion, definitely.

Figure skating is not ballet or opera. Tessa and Scott are more delicious than Elena and Placido. :p Anyway, all their moves are well integrated into the choreo. It's not like they are gyrating in place.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Maybe sex is not the right word. Passion, definitely.

Figure skating is not ballet or opera. Tessa and Scott are more delicious than Elena and Placido. :p Anyway, all their moves are well integrated into the choreo. It's not like they are gyrating in place.

It's just a matter of personal taste. I don't like it.

P.S. They are obviously more delicious than Placido or Elena but never more than Svetlana Zakharova. She's a goddess and yet I don't see crotch-grabbing from her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKNpitsz-v0

all that

Final Flight

I think Roland Petit's Carmen is much more sexual than V/M's Carmen. Way more.

all that

Final Flight
Never seen it. Can't judge. I only know that Alberto Alonso's is not.

Well, that's the point then, isn't it? There are a lot of different Carmens out there, and just because you haven't seen one that is overly sexual, doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. Carmen is a story about sex, and different people will interpret that differently. V/M are taking a more explicit route, but not as explicit as others. Will that route be winning? We'll have to wait and see.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
To me, many of these comments make little sense. Yes, Carmen includes sex but I wouldn't want to see it. It's like saying that if the Shibutanis are skating to Memoirs of a Geisha, they should be playing out a scene between a geisha and her customer. I'm sorry but I don't like Virtue putting her hand on his butt, nor her crotch in his face. I've seen the opera Carmen and the ballet Carmen and neither were overly sexual.

This doesn't make sense to me... to acknowledge the piece's seductive/sexually-charged nature but be against the manifestation of it.

The themes were there but Elena Obraztsova never smacked Placido Domingo's butt and neither did Svetlana Zakharova.

They might've if they'd been ice dancers. This is V/M's modern interpretation of Carmen for ice-dancing. I bet they didn't wear skimpy outfits at the opera either:laugh:

OT, I think Canadians have less hang-ups about sexuality. In SYTYCD Canada for instance, many routines would be categorized adult audiences only compared to the American show.

ETA: And based on what I've seen so far I don't see anything overtly sexual in V/M's program.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Well, that's the point then, isn't it? There are a lot of different Carmens out there, and just because you haven't seen one that is overly sexual, doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. Carmen is a story about sex, and different people will interpret that differently. V/M are taking a more explicit route, but not as explicit as others. Will that route be winning? We'll have to wait and see.

Then I probably would not like Petit's either. It's not like I will change my mind about this. Whether this will be a winning route does not matter to me.

DianaSelene

Medalist
This doesn't make sense to me... to acknowledge the piece's seductive/sexually-charged nature but be against the manifestation of it.

They might've if they'd been ice dancers. This is V/M's modern interpretation of Carmen for ice-dancing. I bet they didn't wear skimpy outfits at the opera either:laugh:

OT, I think Canadians have less hang-ups about sexuality. In SYTYCD Canada for instance, many routines would be categorized adult audiences only compared to the American show.

ETA: And based on what I've seen so far I don't see anything overtly sexual in V/M's program.

Your quote about how maybe Elena and Placido would do that if they were ice dancers does not make sense. I've seen many Carmens on ice but they didn't have butt-smacking and I don't think that I missed out on anything. Krylova/Ovsiannikov skated to Carmen and it was not very sexual. Just because you are dancing to a piece about love, does not mean that you have to include sex in it.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Your quote about how maybe Elena and Placido would do that if they were ice dancers does not make sense. I've seen many Carmens on ice but they didn't have butt-smacking and I don't think that I missed out on anything. Krylova/Ovsiannikov skated to Carmen and it was not very sexual. Just because you are dancing to a piece about love, does not mean that you have to include sex in it.

I still don't see how V/M's program includes sex. I don't recall anybody gyrating to the percussions. :rolleye:

Also, ‘butt-smacking’?... Really?

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I still don't see how V/M's program includes sex. I don't recall anybody gyrating to the percussions. :rolleye:

Also, ‘butt-smacking’?... Really?
The vehicle of expression in opera is vocal. In ice dance it's physical. Carmen isn't just about sex, it's about a power struggle over sex.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

But if you're skating to piece about lust, you well better. Anyway, it'll definitely be a discussion piece, and it'll be interesting to see if they tone it down or up based on judges comments.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chances are, the groping stuff is going to look quite a bit different in full costumes rather than in dance practice outfits. Skirts change the look of a lot of things.

Strictly speaking, there are very few points, plus or minus, for portraying or not not portraying passion while skating to Carmen.

There is a deduction for immodest lifts, but AFAIR, isn't that limited to having the girl upside down displaying a clear crotch shot? I don't see that here.

So we will all have to wait to see the whole production to say.

If V&M enjoy doing Carmen, this way, more power to them. After all, if their program looked like everybody else's Carmen, people would just yawn and be bored. Better to go the somewhat controversial route, IMO>

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno I'm just not seeing it that way... it just looks like bad acting to me :laugh: (you know, like the "romance" scenes in Twilight or something)