Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Short Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Elene should have been higher...Oh, forgot - it's in Canada

It is Elene who won by a high PCS. The Canadians are 5th and 6th in PCS. Canadian champion Lacoste didn't get gifted.

All this Canada bashing from the start, before anybody else even did a clean skate like Osmond did! What happens to the insistence that falls should be penalized severely in the PCS?

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
To be fair she did get the highest TES and she's fifth in PCS...unless she got some extra GOE she wouldn've have received elsewhere...but I would have found that hard to believe.

Yeah, really. Could it be that Osmond is in second because she actually had the second-best skate of the night? She may not be the second-best skater of this field at this point, but she had the second-best SP tonight. I guess people are always going to find some reason to cry bias.

Anyway, a lot can happen in the free. It'll be interesting for sure.

wallylutz

Medalist
She did get negative GOE on the 3Lo though.

O.K., I was confused by the question. I noted that her set up time into the 3Lo took a very long time and they weren't preceded by connecting steps as required in the SP. It looks like some judges chose to penalize her on not fulfilling the requirement, which I think is a good thing. In the past, many skaters could get away with it because the rule is not always strictly reinforced. I am glad they dinged her for it to send a clear message to all skaters.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Elene was great. But she often is good in the SP and then LP destroys everything. I want her to win this Skate Canada. It was so cute how happy she was, and I think her body is amazing. I also liked Kanakos SP, the music & costume and the overall feeling was light and calm. Akiko...well, like people said this Kill Bill thing could work if the music wasn't so disjointed. Like this it feels like many short sequences and not a cohesive program. But her footwork was amazing and her LP with music from Cirque de Soleil is going to be great, if she delivers technically, that is.

gioccia

On the Ice
Yeah, really. Could it be that Osmond is in second because she actually had the second-best skate of the night? She may not be the second-best skater of this field at this point, but she had the second-best SP tonight. I guess people are always going to find some reason to cry bias.

Anyway, a lot can happen in the free. It'll be interesting for sure.

She had a clean skate, but so did Zhang for example... Her skating was mediocre to be scored like that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I haven't seen Kaetlyn's program, so I cannot comment. But no doubt that the rest of the field underperformed and Kaetlyn did her very best.

I expect a shake up in the free with such a small gap between the whole field. Gracie in 9th is a mere six points behind Ksenia in 3rd.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
She had a clean skate, but so did Zhang for example... Her skating was mediocre to be scored like that.

Caroline skated and spinned like a snail. Her BV is almost 3 points lower than Kaetlyn's.

eta. Then also GOE reflected the difference in quality of executions, especially on jumps. Kaetlyn was more than just clean.

Last edited:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

Zhang had both easier jump content and had other problems that have been pointed out in this thread, such as lack of speed. Osmond has made visible improvements since last year, and some of the other skaters didn't perform up to their potential. What precisely was "mediocre" about Osmond's skating? That was a strong all-around performance.

Really, Canada has a strong reputation in the sport, but so do Japan, Russia and the United States. The only competitor who isn't from a powerhouse country in this sport is the current leader! How can you look at that and claim the the scoring was based on country reputation?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm just checking in. Surprised about Gracie. I hope she can pick herself in the free.
It's good that Caroline skated so well. I had read she was comming off some kind of injury.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just watched Elene's program. Beautiful. I think she was borderline on the UR on her combo..but otherwise--she should be proud! :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Only one judge gave a negative GOE on Elene's StSq where she lost her balance momentarily. On the whole the veteran skaters had better performances but today they had technical problems.

gioccia

On the Ice
her performance was solid and strong and I liked her, I can even become a fan of hers in future, but she simply wouldn't get those scores as a newcomer...we'll see what she gets in the next Cup and Worlds. She was good, clean but not a WOW to earn over 60. Gracie and Liza were much better.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
her performance was solid and strong and I liked her, I can even become a fan of hers in future, but she simply wouldn't get those scores as a newcomer...we'll see what she gets in the next Cup and Worlds. She was good, clean but not a WOW to earn over 60. Gracie and Liza were much better.
+1 полностью согласна))completely agree