Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Short Program

emma

Record Breaker
Just watched Osmand and Elene - so nice to see them skate so well!!!! I also watched Akiko because I adore her - I think her program is cool, and I love the Kill Bill soundtrack, but the cuts are a bit off for me. I think she looks good, though, and love her hydroplane move, very nice!

So grateful to the video poster!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what people are complaining about? That was fantabulous! Given the content, I think 60 is a fair score. I will admit the debut PCS of junior-turned-seniors tends to be significantly lower but I think, given what she put out, those scores were completely warranted. Tons of energy, spunk, fire...she didn't let the music overrun her...her jumps were great (especially that flip! great lift in the air), her spins were decent, I loved the choreography and Kaetlyn really performed the program. She brought it to life...

Congrats to her! Her LP is really nice as well and if she can perform it well she has a great shot at gold...

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
her performance was solid and strong and I liked her, I can even become a fan of hers in future, but she simply wouldn't get those scores as a newcomer...we'll see what she gets in the next Cup and Worlds. She was good, clean but not a WOW to earn over 60. Gracie and Liza were much better.

You are still not saying what precisely was not up to par. How were Gracie and Liza "much better"? They both had significant mistakes on their jumps, and had less energy and expression on this particular night. Katelyn showed attack, energy, personality as well as clean and effortless elements. The fact that she's a newcomer isn't supposed to matter as far as scoring goes; the fact that so far she hasn't accomplished as much as Liza or Gracie isn't supposed to matter. What matters is what the judges see there, in those 2.5 minutes or so. And those 2.5 minutes were pretty damn good.

And she has received strong scores outside of Canada. Didn't she just win Nebelhorn, topping Sotnikova? That wasn't on Canadian soil.

A score of 60 isn't that exceptional either. It's very good score, and it was deserved, but it's not exactly rare for ladies' singles SP scores to go higher than that. Several other skaters were capable of scoring higher; they just didn't tonight.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Elene was lovely! I've always said if she ever got her mental game together she'd be in the medal hunt every time. I loved her flying sit spin and her footwork was gorgeous. Lots of feeling and emotion...I barely notice the little slip.

It'd be great to see her have a good LP. She usually does well in the SP and falls apart in the LP but I hope she's turned a corner this year. I loved her little dance before she got off the ice! So cute to see her so happy with her performance. :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
You are still not saying what precisely was not up to par. How were Gracie and Liza "much better"? They both had significant mistakes on their jumps, and had less energy and expression on this particular night. Katelyn showed attack, energy, personality as well as clean and effortless elements. The fact that she's a newcomer isn't supposed to matter as far as scoring goes; the fact that so far she hasn't accomplished as much as Liza or Gracie isn't supposed to matter. What matters is what the judges see there, in those 2.5 minutes or so. And those 2.5 minutes were pretty damn good.

And she has received strong scores outside of Canada. Didn't she just win Nebelhorn, topping Sotnikova? That wasn't on Canadian soil.

A score of 60 isn't that exceptional either. It's very good score, and it was deserved, but it's not exactly rare for ladies' singles SP scores to go higher than that. Several other skaters were capable of scoring higher; they just didn't tonight.

Pfff...It was Adelina's title to take. Had she made less mistakes the title would have been hers...Sotnikova had almost zero jumps there...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I said this before, consistency will be the key to win
it will not be enough if you are just a good skater, those who can't keep it together will take it all

if Osmond skates a decent LP she will win, Akiko, Gracie, Liza and Kanako still have a shot of podium
if they get their act on the FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I said this before, consistency will be the key to win
it will not be enough if you are just a good skater, those who can't keep it together will take it all

if Osmond skates a decent LP she will win, Akiko, Gracie, Liza and Kanako still have a shot of podium
if they get their act on the FS

That is quite true. If talent and potential was the only factor in winning, the podium would look at lot different at many competitions!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Pfff...It was Adelina's title to take. Had she made less mistakes the title would have been hers...Sotnikova had almost zero jumps there...

It wasn't her best performance by any means, but she landed significantly more than zero jumps. And if you're argument is that Osmond wouldn't have been on the top if Sotnikova had performed better, perhaps that's true, but how does that mean Osmond was overscored here? People made mistakes here too, and Osmond didn't. So who wuz robbed?

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 60.80 Short Program
2. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 60.56 Short Program
3. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS) - 58.56 Short Program
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 56.21 Short Program
5. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 55.12 Short Program
6. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 55.10 Short Program
7. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 53.81 Short Program
8. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 52.97 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA)52.19 Short Program
10. Polina SHELEPEN (RUS) - 46.18 Short Program

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm trying to figure out what people are complaining about? That was fantabulous! Given the content, I think 60 is a fair score. I will admit the debut PCS of junior-turned-seniors tends to be significantly lower but I think, given what she put out, those scores were completely warranted. Tons of energy, spunk, fire...she didn't let the music overrun her...her jumps were great (especially that flip! great lift in the air), her spins were decent, I loved the choreography and Kaetlyn really performed the program. She brought it to life...

Congrats to her! Her LP is really nice as well and if she can perform it well she has a great shot at gold...

I agree. I have never seen her skate before today, but she was so much more than solid... she was spectacular. I'm not usually a fan of these Spanish-themed programs but she really moved in a way that complimented the music. Her jumps look great in the air and she has a nice runout on them. I hope she continues to skate well.

Ravensque

On the Ice

I'm in total agreement with you. Not only was she 1st out of the gate, but she skated with pure joy and loads of showmanship, some interesting transitions, huge jumps, decent spins. It was a real pleasure to watch, and I was pleasantly surprised. I think she beat everyone out in the tech score too, but I'm not sure of that. I was watching on a big screen TV and not once did I see any "deer in the headlights" expression on her face as in many of the others....this girl is going places, and it's about time was had a Canadian lady who can bring it all with competition nerves intact..........Greatest luck to her in the LP. I've heard it's very good as well.

katymay

Medalist
I agree. I have never seen her skate before today, but she was so much more than solid... she was spectacular. I'm not usually a fan of these Spanish-themed programs but she really moved in a way that complimented the music. Her jumps look great in the air and she has a nice runout on them. I hope she continues to skate well.

She is light and beautiful on the ice. Just awesome, jumps, spins are all wonderful and effortless. Another thing-and a real important thing for me-she looks like she is enjoying herself out there, and I feel happy watching her. PS: Thank you to the person who posted the vids...much much appreciated.

katymay

Medalist
Should have added that I am talking about Kaetlyn Osmond, I have a feeling if she had skated last, the score would have been more than a few points into first. What a beautiful skater, in every single aspect. I hope she continues to skate with such joy. Based on the short program-wow...

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Loved Osmond's skate. I've been intrigued by her ever since her SP at Nationals last year. I am getting a little tired by seeing the "bias" remarks every time a Canadian skater scores well. I don't see anyone crowning her Olympic Champion. It took Joannie years to reach the top. I'm giving Osmond the same benefit of the doubt. She's fresh to the senior scene so she has time to polish up the rough edges. But even so, I think she deserved her marks today.

I also loved Gracie Gold. It was the first time I've seen her and even with her mistakes she has a style I really enjoy. I hope she has a better LP.

(goes back to lurking)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Osmond - Excellent debut for her, she may be going places....or she may not, and just lucked out here. (it is in Canada after all)

Like all newcomers, she is relatively untested and it will be interesting to see if down the road, she has the nerves to deal with extreme pressure and competition.

As for the Americans - I liked what I saw from Gold. Too bad about the jump mistakes (hopefully just debut jitters) but she is not out of it. Scores seem pretty close among the middle/lower group so with a strong FS and mistakes from above, podium isn't out of the question. It's only a question of whether her head is in the right place - she is very much untested. Zhang was ok, I guess...more subdued, not a huge fan of the program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not gonna jump on the Osmond bandwagon... but wow... great attack of a program! :agree: